• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Robertson
Latu
Kepu
Simmons
Arnold
Hanigan
Hooper
Dempsey
Gordon
Foley
Latunipulu
Beale
Rona
Clarke
Folau

Roach
Ryan
Needs
Staniforth
Holloway
Phipps
Simone
Naiyaravoro

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good. Would prefer Taqele over Clarke and Holloway over Hanigan though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
worth noting that Latu Latunipulu is in the Rebels squad travelling to Japan for a game this weekend.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
worth noting that Latu Latunipulu is in the Rebels squad travelling to Japan for a game this weekend.
Surely the rebels don't have the room to actually sign him though. Shipperly, Fau, English, Hutchison. None of these guys are going to get into the starting team, and they have other youngsters from the Rising too.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Surely the rebels don't have the room to actually sign him though. Shipperly, Fau, English, Hutchison. None of these guys are going to get into the starting team, and they have other youngsters from the Rising too.

Bit of a shame that 18 year old who was the u20s star when he was 17 who the Rising had on the wing (name escapes me) is going to miss out with all the big names ahead of him. A real talent. At that age it's really got to be a their local team that picks them, hard to see the Tahs focusing on picking someone up that young over other young talent in NSW.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Bit of a shame that 18 year old who was the u20s star when he was 17 who the Rising had on the wing (name escapes me) is going to miss out with all the big names ahead of him. A real talent. At that age it's really got to be a their local team that picks them, hard to see the Tahs focusing on picking someone up that young over other young talent in NSW.

Semisi Tupou
I believe he is on a Rebels development squad contract

T

TOCC

I think we will find this year a bit of a transition year, Force players are staying loyal to Wessels and as a group apparently have issues with the other unions supporting the culling of their team. Also since it happened so late in the season, there weren’t many NH opportunities and the other Super Rugby clubs had rightfully or wrongfully tied up a large chunk of their budget and positions.

I’d be interested to see the duration of many of those players contracts, but I suspect many of those Rebels players coming off in 2018 contract will look elsewhere for opportunity given the influx of competiton for positions across the team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agreed TOCC. The impact may be the 'Melbourne' guys missing out. Does Rob Leota want to hang around behind Hardwick, Mafi, Timani et al? Does Maddocks want to stick behind DHP, Sefa and Koroibete. Goddard behind Genia etc.

2019 may see some balancing out.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agreed TOCC. The impact may be the 'Melbourne' guys missing out. Does Rob Leota want to hang around behind Hardwick, Mafi, Timani et al? Does Maddocks want to stick behind DHP, Sefa and Koroibete. Goddard behind Genia etc.

2019 may see some balancing out.

And by 2019 the "recruiting genius" that is Daryl Gibson will also be gone, so the Tahs can start getting some proper recruitment planning in place.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think we will find this year a bit of a transition year, Force players are staying loyal to Wessels and as a group apparently have issues with the other unions supporting the culling of their team. Also since it happened so late in the season, there weren’t many NH opportunities and the other Super Rugby clubs had rightfully or wrongfully tied up a large chunk of their budget and positions.

Will be some great derbies next year though. Hooper and Dempsey up against Pocock and Naisarani/Valentini will be a massive contest for the Wallaby backrow. And Beale, Folau, and Foley against Hodge, Koroibete, and DHP could really sell drive the ticket sales.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I note the comments on Holloway v Hanigan. Tough call either way really, Holloway with good impact but a shit workrate, Hanigan with a massive workrate but low impact! It's all there for either one of them who is able to step up!

T

TOCC

From the media release, maybe Gibson was reading these forums and felt it was time:

Lock Nick Palmer, midfielders Alex Newsome and Lalakai Foketi, and openside flanker Will Miller have signed with New South Wales, alongside exciting young prop Cody Walker and his fellow front rower Shambeckler Vui.

In addition, Harry Johnson-Holmes and Lachlan Swinton have each signed a 3-year deal. Both are graduates of NSW’s Gen Blue programme, the elite youth development pathway designed to identify and retain talent from an early age.

Newsome, Vui and Walker all signed for two years while Palmer, Miller and Foketi have signed for one year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hmmmm I'm not sure about this one. Credit to the Tahs for backing their development pathways, but other than Vui and maybe Foketi none of these guys excite me at all.

It's hard to believe that of the whole Force roster we may only end up with a winger and reserve prop. Even more so considering a lot of the Force guys are from Sydney or NSW in the first place.

Still a few players available, so I hope we'll hear of more new players soon. But I'm skeptical.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Hopefully we can pick up another potentially decent Super Rugby - Richie Arnold and a couple of O/S backs...

Rona? Peni? Even Magnay could be looking for a gig? We really need anothor big fast O/C + a winger with turbo speed... Has Foketi been killing it in NZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.