• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
already got 2 x 2017 U20s players on the books (one of them brought it) and another training. How much deeper can you go?..And 30 is not old in the forward world by a long shot.

I have little issue with the props the Tahs have brought in, I think at 30 Ryan should be reaching his scrummaging peak. That "peak" simply isn't as a Super Rugby starter, he is continually getting mullared

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The challenge for the Tahs with signing a prop for next season is to correctly ascertain the trajectories of Robertson (still only 23 and inexperience as far as a prop goes) as well as Johnson-Holmes, Vui and Cody Walker.

Signing a player to slot into the starting XV is only worthwhile if they're substantially better than those guys and will remain that way for at least a year.

Robertson has regressed so it is hard to know what his play will be like next season but who knows how quickly the three young guys will develop. Any one of them could be better than the player signed within a short period of time.

Then there's Matt Sandell who was a talented under 20s player but has had some serious injuries and may be too small. Presumably he either gets himself in the picture next year or gets moved on.
Well said. We've got a plethora of young props in the squad, that are presumably on 2-3 year contracts. Interesting to see how the team goes next few games. A few wins and I expect to see a conservative, experienced team picked. A few losses and them get more game time to assess their ability. 21 does seem young for some in the front row, but then again Uelese and Tupou are in the same age bracket, were given an early chance, and have excelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ I find that interesting given that in the past the mere suggestion/ speculation that he might move has launched several pages worth of posts on the forum.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Strange list, a couple of nice targets, some strange picks on the dumping list

But the true failure is your suggestion of JOC (James O'Connor), never ever
Which up and comers might nudge out those blokes? Please dont add some Under 20 Hollywood types

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think the squad already includes every adult up and comer worth mentioning. Add to this anymore players from the new aus U20 squad and that will be a worry at the end of 2019, when they are all still very young and guys like Ryan (and most likely a raft of other stars) will be leaving. Exactly the time to keep your journeymen like Ryan, to assist with the inevitable transition in 2019.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the squad already includes every adult up and comer worth mentioning. Add to this anymore players from the new aus U20 squad and that will be a worry at the end of 2019, when they are all still very young and guys like Ryan (and most likely a raft of other stars) will be leaving. Exactly the time to keep your journeymen like Ryan, to assist with the inevitable transition in 2019.
I noticed on the weekend that the Reds had 4 players in the starting pack 21 years old or younger. Didn't seem to hurt the team

T

TOCC

I noticed on the weekend that the Reds had 4 players in the starting pack 21 years old or younger. Didn't seem to hurt the team

I think that’s a unique set of circumstances though, Brad Thorn coached the QLD U20s for the previous two year so he knew what those players offered and they understood his coaching philosophy.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think that’s a unique set of circumstances though, Brad Thorn coached the QLD U20s for the previous two year so he knew what those players offered and they understood his coaching philosophy.
True, but Cron coached the Australian under 20s last year, so he has some insight into the players from last year

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

They are not world beaters, though you are correct they have exceeded expectations. However I would argue that apart from Hooper and Kepu, the rest of the forwards both starting and bench are performing better then their NSW counterparts which goes along way to easing the youngsters in. Might be different next season when they potentially lose Toua, Nabuli, Lance, Lucas, G Smith, Ready and Douglas.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I had high hopes for Simone, but just hasn't produced and is well into his second season. Staniforth is not up to the job, basically NRC quality. Simmons you could keep but you would need a lot of bulk around him, I agree.
Yes had high hopes for Simone but looks like another who has failed to step up in the big show.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With the bye this week you'd hope that by the following week for the Brumbies game everyone except Dempsey will be available.

Whilst Short and Snowden did very well it will be great to have Gordon and Phipps back on deck.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
well hopes of pinching Douglas seem shot, looks like hes going to france

Douglas would've (could still be?) an excellent pickup by NSW if he doesn't head o/s. We still really need a large top class LH, a BIG Lock (not Skelton though) and could get by with the rest of the squad we have. The backs look solid across the park, so when we have Kepu fully fit with Dempsey back the team gets considerably stronger.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Douglas that guy anymore though? It seems like he is the workrate lock that we have in droves rather than the bruising, ball-running lock.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Is Douglas that guy anymore though? It seems like he is the workrate lock that we have in droves rather than the bruising, ball-running lock.

I watched him play for the reds last 3 games and he was smashing blokes. He monstered a few of the Argies on Sunday morning. Too early in the season to be sure, but he could be back..... or alternatively he was killing it to get a few more $$$$$$ on his French contract.

The article said he was in negotiations, so I assume unsigned as yet. However if there is no ARU topup on the table he's probably as good as on the plane I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.