• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
For one thing, Wright has a lot more skills than just catching the ball and putting it over the line, he's a very complete player.
More generally, I don't think the 'signing league players is always doomed to fail' argument stacks up. Yes, there have been some momentous failures (Moeroa certainly one) but I would suggest there have been plenty of successes too. Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Isi Folau before he went all homophobic, and plenty more.

Also depends what you want to classify as league players.

Rocky Elsom and Wyclif Palu were both in the league system before playing Super Rugby.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Also depends what you want to classify as league players.

Rocky Elsom and Wyclif Palu were both in the league system before playing Super Rugby.

Neither established themselves in the top grade league, they returned after one or two seasons and most likely after their options in league ran out. So not really culturally indoctrinated into league kind of the same as Tom Wright.

Established League players as a whole have drained more cash and resources from Union than they ever put back into the sport and I highly doubt anyone will want to argue that point.

I dislike how our administrators fall over league players and how they treat the sport of Rugby Union, and I have a special hatred for those administrators.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
So, what was primarily wrong with 2021?
Firstly, lack of a good head coach to hold things together. Now, I genuinely don't know whether that was Penney or not, never will, but it certainly achieved absolutely nothing sacking him mid-season. Given a full season, we would be in a far better position to judge. It is imperative we appoint someone next year with runs on the board, and given their starting point, back them for at least three years.

Secondly was obviously defence, in so many different ways. That's Gilmore's role, he has to take responsibility and must go. That he has put his hand up for the top job is mind-blowing.

Thirdly, lack of experienced heads to guide a team of youngsters around the park. The loss of Simmons, Hooper and Hunt I believe is far greater than people imagine.

Finally, a lack of Super level players in a couple of key positions, specifically Tight Head Prop, Lock and one wing.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Were there any positives? As opposed to some of the 'piss off the lot of them' posters here, and being, I guess, a natural optimist, I think there were.

Firstly, I think we have an outstanding group of youngsters, who just need good coaching, guidance on the field and time and can be the nucleus of a great side. Bell, Horton, Cotton, Douglas, Williams, Woods, Tizzano, Harris, Harrison, Donaldson, Walton, Robertson and Ramm I think are all stars of the future, and I would like us to hold onto all of them.

Secondly, Perese has been a massive get. It's a mouth-watering thought as to what he could do in a team going forward.

Finally, the leadership shown by Jake Gordon has been exceptional. I would really like to see him continue as Tahs captain in 2022.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Were there any positives? As opposed to some of the 'piss off the lot of them' posters here, and being, I guess, a natural optimist, I think there were.

Firstly, I think we have an outstanding group of youngsters, who just need good coaching, guidance on the field and time and can be the nucleus of a great side. Bell, Horton, Cotton, Douglas, Williams, Woods, Tizzano, Harris, Harrison, Donaldson, Walton, Robertson and Ramm I think are all stars of the future, and I would like us to hold onto all of them.

Secondly, Perese has been a massive get. It's a mouth-watering thought as to what he could do in a team going forward.

Finally, the leadership shown by Jake Gordon has been exceptional. I would really like to see him continue as Tahs captain in 2022.

What do we think of the new dude with long hypenated name who has returned from Japan to oz rugby...he looks alright

Reactions: TSR

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Have only seen him the last fortnight, yep looks good.
With Hooper, Swinton, Harris, Warren-Vosayaco, Tezzano, Gamble, and possibly Sinclair and Hanigan if they don't play lock, the back row is one of the few spots we do have covered for 2022.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Have only seen him the last fortnight, yep looks good.
With Hooper, Swinton, Harris, Warren-Vosayaco, Tezzano, Gamble, and possibly Sinclair and Hanigan if they don't play lock, the back row is one of the few spots we do have covered for 2022.
Can just imagine how

A lot of these players would benefit from an nrc mark 2 following now - hopefully next year

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Did the Tahs announce who else was confirmed as leaving at the home game??

So far Dempsey, Moeroa and Wykes are confirmed and looks like Maddocks is off to France.