• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
You haven't come up with an alternative. There is no one in the SS currently who is up to it, the James Turner performance proved that.

Your example is poor as Newsome has been solid throughout SRTT, 2 tries and a number of good bust, whereas Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) has struggled.

In order for the Tahs to avoid the spoon, they need to build depth. They let that middle tier of players (Wells, Miller etc) go when the Foley and Phipps generation were running the show and has left us in the current predicament. My view is the like of Newsome and Foketi should be kept around to ease the burden on the next generation.

Walton? remember him. Can run, can tackle.

Has Tom Wright been re-signed by the Brumbies yet? Wallaby. Can run, massive improvement.

And also as I said, look around.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Walton? remember him. Can run, can tackle.

Has Tom Wright been re-signed by the Brumbies yet? Wallaby. Can run, massive improvement.

And also as I said, look around.

There is a QPR outside back being mentioned on the Reds page who might make it but is unlikely to get a shot in Brisbane.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
There's also probably 40 better athletes running around the fringes of NRL ;).

It all comes down to talent identification and recruitment.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
It's funny, people on here complain about recruitment but don't want to cut crap players.

Blame management but want to keep the moto well there's no one else in the whole country apparently after management made these decisions to sign the players.

Say a 20 year old should dropped but a 26 year old should be kept who has had long enough

I guess we should keep getting the spoon then.

Strange

There are a quite a few sympathetic posters around this place willing to accept continued mediocrity (where it's not justified).

I accept that there may be limitations around recruiting good second-rowers as they are somewhat of a rare breed around Australia; athletic outside backs are literally mass-produced in this state...

Fuck it - let's have a back three of Newsome, James Turner and Cameron Clarke!

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The Tahs really only have themselves to blame for the past few years.

Year after year of rubbish coaching staff, from defence coaches who couldn't teach defence including a former NRL player to attack coaches who loved hot potato football mixed with endless, pointless aimless kicking, to finally head coaches with little to no clue.

They have had rubbish signings player wise failing to bother to recruit what they needed or strengthen where they needed to. Light forwards, lack of go forward.
Backs that can't tackle.

Players lacking the simplest basic skills.

Players lacking brains

Players lacking heart.

There needs to be a massive cleanout at the club from the top down.

There has to be accountability.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The Tahs really only have themselves to blame for the past few years.

Year after year of rubbish coaching staff, from defence coaches who couldn't teach defence including a former NRL player to attack coaches who loved hot potato football mixed with endless, pointless aimless kicking, to finally head coaches with little to no clue.

They have had rubbish signings player wise failing to bother to recruit what they needed or strengthen where they needed to. Light forwards, lack of go forward.
Backs that can't tackle.

Players lacking the simplest basic skills.

Players lacking brains

Players lacking heart.

There needs to be a massive cleanout at the club from the top down.

There has to be accountability.

The Tahs are a lost cause this season. It seems to me they have taken the attitude that they have nothing to lose and are just going out and having a crack. Notwithstanding the issues you outline, most of which I agree with, despite yours and Derpus’ naysaying they have been fun and entertaining to watch, and there is genuine potential there. The pain of this season has turned to numbness, and I’m looking forward to the next couple. And yes, in the meantime they can put the broom through the joint!

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Are we being too generous with all this talk of potential though?

For every linebreak/ positive contribution the like a Jack Maddocks or Lakai Foekti make, they also support that with a multiple of missed tackles, shit passes and general poor play.

Even looking at our attack, we hardly score points in pressure situations or even when the game is in a winnable situation.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Maddocks is a good, strong tackler, but his positioning in defence and to make a tackle is dreadful.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
An ad for Bupa appears on the tv screen.
Chubby rugby player jogging upfield extolling the merits of Bupa as opposition players attempt unsuccessfully to bring him down.
Mrs FF (Folau Fainga'a) says "They tackle like the Waratahs".
No argument from me.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Winless NSW Waratahs hit by more injuries | The Advocate | Burnie, TAS

Skipper and halfback Jake Gordon (knee), hooker Dave Porecki (calf) and tighthead prop Darcy Breen (neck) all picked up injuries during last round's loss to the Highlanders.

Fellow props Angus Bell (illness), Harry Johnson-Holmes (neck) and Tetetra Faulkner (back), who missed the Highlanders, are also in some doubt.

Whitaker said Gordon would undergo a scan on Wednesday, which could threaten his availability for the Wallabies Test series against France next month.
Asked if it was a "good thing" the season was almost over, Whitaker replied that they would struggle to even field a competitive team.
"We couldn't keep going - we haven't got enough numbers," Whitaker said on Tuesday.

Bloody Hell

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Chiefs are currently only -19.5 for this Saturday night which given the Tahs are likely to put out a worse team than last week seems like unders.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bit confused by "field a competitive team". Is he sometime suggesting they have been competitive?

I think he should mean a professional team, as half of the team at full health are lucky to be 'pros'