• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The Tahs need to definitely cut Newsome loose. He offers little, struggles to run plays, struggles to tackle, struggles point blank. And now that Penney is gone hopefully Newsome follows

He's a very decent Shute Shield player but at best should be depth for a Super Rugby franchise. The fact he is starting and close to the captaincy is a sad indictment on the Waratahs.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Muggleton could teach him, surely. Anybody can learn to tackle, I reckon, if the right teacher and the right amount of effort are applied.

Taqele N was a horrendous defender and his workrate was considerably worse than Mark's.

I doubt he will ever be a great (or even good) defender but as long as there are marginal improvements and he actually becomes an attacking weapon - that's good enough.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs need to definitely cut Newsome loose. He offers little, struggles to run plays, struggles to tackle, struggles point blank. And now that Penney is gone hopefully Newsome follows

They all do, happy to look for an upgrade, I just don't know of any in our price range

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I don't think any of the coaching staff have been any good and I definitely don't believe any of them should put their hand up to be coach

I think it's hard to complain about Whittaker's attack, it's sometimes looked pedestrian but it's been effective and improving. I don't think he's keen to be head coach, but I'd like him to be part of the future coaching team - they need that connection with someone who has a great Tahs history

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I think it's hard to complain about Whittaker's attack, it's sometimes looked pedestrian but it's been effective and improving. I don't think he's keen to be head coach, but I'd like him to be part of the future coaching team - they need that connection with someone who has a great Tahs history

He has been here as attack coach for over three years. He either has the endless, pointless kicking that does little or plays hot potato football. Teams read it and mark it.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
He has been here as attack coach for over three years. He either has the endless, pointless kicking that does little or plays hot potato football. Teams read it and mark it.

Yeah, not the NZ teams, it seems. Tahs have scored more points in SRTT than the other AU teams, or Chiefs

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The attack has the same issues as the Wobs did under Cheika, it is overly ambitious with players not ready to play so open and loose............................................ and then it breaks down and we get murdered/out numbered/run over. They need to pull their heads in, play with more structure and just limit errors.

It always comes down to the set piece, the defence and kick/chase to create the opportunities

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The attack has the same issues as the Wobs did under Cheika, it is overly ambitious with players not ready to play so open and loose................ and then it breaks down and we get murdered/out numbered/run over. They need to pull their heads in, play with more structure and just limit errors.

It always comes down to the set piece, the defence and kick/chase to create the opportunities

Hence why time for new Coaching staff across the board

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Newsome one of the most experienced players in a young squad. Good leadership qualities and only just turned 26 so his best years still ahead of him. i wouldn't be cutting him just yet. Also struggling to see the connection between Penny and Newsome?
Gibson signed him and played him in front of more senior wingers including Curtis Rona so clearly they see something in him

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Newsome one of the most experienced players in a young squad. Good leadership qualities and only just turned 26 so his best years still ahead of him. i wouldn't be cutting him just yet. Also struggling to see the connection between Penny and Newsome?
Gibson signed him and played him in front of more senior wingers including Curtis Rona so clearly they see something in him

Being experienced he should be playing better. Being 26 he should show some improvement.

Penney made him vice captain despite being an average player and doesn't lead by example or offer much. He then named him Captain whilst playing on the wing and struggling to offer anything.

Don't get me started on Gibson

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
It's funny, people on here complain about recruitment but don't want to cut crap players.

Blame management but want to keep the moto well there's no one else in the whole country apparently after management made these decisions to sign the players.

Say a 20 year old should dropped but a 26 year old should be kept who has had long enough

I guess we should keep getting the spoon then.

Strange

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
You haven't come up with an alternative. There is no one in the SS currently who is up to it, the James Turner performance proved that.

Your example is poor as Newsome has been solid throughout SRTT, 2 tries and a number of good bust, whereas Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) has struggled.

In order for the Tahs to avoid the spoon, they need to build depth. They let that middle tier of players (Wells, Miller etc) go when the Foley and Phipps generation were running the show and has left us in the current predicament. My view is the like of Newsome and Foketi should be kept around to ease the burden on the next generation.

It's funny, people on here complain about recruitment but don't want to cut crap players.

Blame management but want to keep the moto well there's no one else in the whole country apparently after management made these decisions to sign the players.

Say a 20 year old should dropped but a 26 year old should be kept who has had long enough

I guess we should keep getting the spoon then.

Strange

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
You haven't come up with an alternative. There is no one in the SS currently who is up to it, the James Turner performance proved that.

Your example is poor as Newsome has been solid throughout SRTT, 2 tries and a number of good bust, whereas Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) has struggled.

In order for the Tahs to avoid the spoon, they need to build depth. They let that middle tier of players (Wells, Miller etc) go when the Foley and Phipps generation were running the show and has left us in the current predicament. My view is the like of Newsome and Foketi should be kept around to ease the burden on the next generation.

Recruitment. Recruitment.

Doesn't have to be from shute shield, whole country to look at.

Look around and find someone don't keep a player who is rubbish. Keeping a player saying well there is no one else apparently is the reason the Tahs go nowhere, accept average to rubbish keep producing same.