• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Jason Gilmore was coach of the 2019 Junior Wallabies of which Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) was a member of.

Now been 2 years as Waratah in a professional set up (at least in name) and backed by the so called talent identification by pathways or whatever BS title they give themselves at the Waratahs.

Peoples judgement needs to be questioned and maybe their judgement isn’t sufficiently developed to hold the positions they do.

Rugby is like horse racing breeding and backing the right horses. Those that exhibit good judgement succeed.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Jason Gilmore was coach of the 2019 Junior Wallabies of which Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) was a member of.

Now been 2 years as Waratah in a professional set up (at least in name) and backed by the so called talent identification by pathways or whatever BS title they give themselves at the Waratahs.

Peoples judgement needs to be questioned and maybe their judgement isn’t sufficiently developed to hold the positions they do.
Should you be questioning the talent identification or the coaching?

Coaching IMO. Australia wide.

Alex Ross (28)
The amount of people wanting to consign Marky to the dustbin is astonishing. He’s 20 FFS and has been pushed into the spotlight too soon due to the crap people who should have recruited better without leaving a gaping hole that needed him and others to step up. Give him a chance before you cut him loose. He’s got plenty of the right stuff. Far from a finished product, but at 20 who cares?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He has also been playing in a team which quite frankly been absolutely rubbish at times, he has his deficiencies but the teams overall performance is exacerbating those IMO. He has the physical attributes to be something special, just needs the right coaching.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The amount of people wanting to consign Marky to the dustbin is astonishing. He’s 20 FFS and has been pushed into the spotlight too soon due to the crap people who should have recruited better without leaving a gaping hole that needed him and others to step up. Give him a chance before you cut him loose. He’s got plenty of the right stuff. Far from a finished product, but at 20 who cares?
Yeh not the finished article but I would not dump him as got some raw talent. He needs some coaching work on his defence and game awareness but yes he is 20..another suggestion made elsewhere is he would be good consideration for sevens and liked that idea as with only 7 players on the field no where to hide in defence and would get plenty of opportunities to work on his defence.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agree with the latest Gold Digger podcast when they talk about him. He’s not good enough for Super Rugby yet but too good for SS. Prime example of needing games at a level between the two competitions or for NSW to be playing more games but against weaker opposition than the kiwi level to gain experience at least against seasoned professionals

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I haven't been watching him closely at all but I do remember his entry to Super and I liked it. Ridiculous to write off a 20yo. You mightn't put him in the starting 15, but give the bloke a chance. Especially when depth is not at it's greatest.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Sorry, I don't like tackle shy backs, they generally don't get better.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry, I don't like tackle shy backs, they generally don't get better.

A tackle shy back is acceptable (even lauded) if their attacking game is top tier - I don't think he's anywhere near the level to accept the compromise.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
There's a big difference between a player who has a crack in defence but gets run over a lot because either a) his technique is poor or b) he's just not strong enough (Foley was probably a good example of this) and someone who just refuses to put his body on the line, which is where I see Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (I think David Knox was probably the greatest example of this).
I'm with FP, its a character thing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Happy to take him at the Rebels if he was deemed surplus to requirements at the Tahs. Kid has some attributes you just can’t teach. His main weakness atm is he’s a dumb footballer
I'd say a young footballer rather than dumb. Big at the lower age group which carries a false sense of how good you are sometimes, and he hasn't adjusted to the big time yet. A good coaching structure can do wonders. He has plenty of natural ability.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm in favour of re-signing Nawaqantiwase, because he's young and probably cheap and still has a lot of potential. With good coaching he could pan out well. Newsom is the one I'd cut loose. He was just okay at his best, and he's getting worse.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm in favour of re-signing Nawaqantiwase, because he's young and probably cheap and still has a lot of potential. With good coaching he could pan out well. Newsom is the one I'd cut loose. He was just okay at his best, and he's getting worse.

The Tahs need to definitely cut Newsome loose. He offers little, struggles to run plays, struggles to tackle, struggles point blank. And now that Penney is gone hopefully Newsome follows