• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I thought Harrison was excellent. He's small but gee he's not afraid to put a tackle on a big player and also get in over the ball when there's an opportunity.

Turner certainly didn't do himself any favours on debut. It was a tough ask but he barely laid a tackle and kept falling over.

Losing Perese then Foketi certainly hurt.

Three times he fell over, that i saw. Comical.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Not having a dig at the guy because I think any outside back would have struggled under the circumstances but surely there are some better outside backs running around then Turner, Newsome and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)? Even Maddocks can hardly be described as strike.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree. If they were both going to be on the field it would be at 10 and 15.

At the moment that might be our best team.

9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Maddocks
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Newsome
15. Harrison

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Gone are the days of getting the longer studs out if it seems a bit slippery. Also highlights the gulf between SS and Super Rugby. You’d hope he’s given another opportunity to show what he’s capable of.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I reckon Turner could be good, he's absolutely rapid if you give him some space.

But he needs to put on some serious mass if he ever wants to play at this level. The physicality difference between Shute and Super is huge.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I guess I’m more thinking of combinations to fit those 2 in the backline. Splitting them between 10/15 is a better option than 10/12 if we were to start them both. It’s not a bad problem to have having playmaking options with edmed in the mix too.
I agree harrisons willing, he hit one guy so hard you could hear it in the coverage. Just in tandem it gives the big kiwi backs to many targets for passive defence and front foot ball. I think the scoreline would’ve been better with our best recent 12/13 combo in the backs. Still happy they showed a bit of grit after last week's effort.
What has happened to Joey Walton as his injury must me pretty severe to not seen him all season...is he due back? He was a good defender so on that alone would be welcome addition back to the 23.

Whilst I don’t like to make excuses I agree in view of last minute changes and injuries with already challenged depth issues I thought tahs did alright.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Ankle injury for Walton apparently, like you say, must be bad. We are missing Ramm too, who has a good head on his shoulders. I feel there was something in yesterday’s game that gave me hope. Having been at the canes game, to concede 10 tries to a sloppy team who kept throwing bounce passes and dropping the ball, I didn’t hold too high hopes for this week. But they seemed to put in for one another with injuries and reshuffles etc.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought Harrison was excellent. He's small but gee he's not afraid to put a tackle on a big player and also get in over the ball when there's an opportunity.

Turner certainly didn't do himself any favours on debut. It was a tough ask but he barely laid a tackle and kept falling over.

Losing Perese then Foketi certainly hurt.
I liked Turner's ability to clean up loose ball, support ball runners, and unless my memory is playing tricks I thought his defence was OK.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I tried doing this last week and was shot down pretty quick but I will give it a go from last years Shute Shield and not selected for super rugby for NSW - excuse spelling

1. Jed Gillespie / Charlie Abel
2. Mahe Vailanu
3. Tim Metcher
4. Jack Margin
5. Nathan De Tuoit
6. Michael Icely
7. Christian Poidevan
8. Pat Sio
9. Harrison Goddard
10 . Rodney Iona /Angus Sinclaire
11. James Turner
12. Enoka Muliufi
13. Tautatalasi Tasi
14. Tyson Davis
15. Tim Clements

The team isn't going to win a super rugby title but I reckon they could give this weeks tahs a shot

well I guess Turner's performance on the weekend puts this whole theory to bed

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His defence was not OK.

Can't miss a tackle if you slip over before you can get in position to attempt a tackle.

eddie murphy.gif

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Just a comment on the Tahs this season. Everyone gets injuries, and injuries to key players, but to me what's more important is who replaces your injured player.
This year, we had injuries to Walton, Harrison and Dempsey, all key players, but their replacements in Foketi, Donaldson and Harris weren't much of a step back, so not a lot was lost. On the other hand, the loss of Gordon and Ramm resulted in a huge step back in Grant and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), and that really hurt us.
Grant does the meat and potatoes stuff okay, he's quick to the breakdown, tidy and throws a good pass, but has no running game, no kicking game and is a poor defender. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) simply doesn't have defence in his repertoire, and doesn't like contact in general.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
If someone could could show Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) how to utilise his explosive vertical leap to his defensive technique he’d be destroying people. I know it’s a big if….