• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I get the impression the Tahs piggy bank is pretty bloody empty and they are opting for a money ball approach. Look for the bargains, targetted recruitment and trust the system. It needs for the coach and high performance program to have complete say and it may result in a bit of short term pain, but hopefully they can build within ala the Reds under Thorn.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I get the impression the Tahs piggy bank is pretty bloody empty and they are opting for a money ball approach. Look for the bargains, targetted recruitment and trust the system. It needs for the coach and high performance program to have complete say and it may result in a bit of short term pain, but hopefully they can build within ala the Reds under Thorn.

Definitely seems that way to me.

The increased focus on young local players (like the Reds) has definitely brought through some good young talent like Bell, Horton, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Swinton, Harrison, Walton, Ramm, Nawaqanitawase, Donaldson etc.

We still need to recruit some good players in positions of weakness (principally lock) but a lot of that relies on who is available and fronting up with the cash at the right time for the right player. It seems that option might not be available for 2021 for both reasons though (lack of cash and off contract players). The worst thing we can do is overcommit to the wrong player because they're the only one available and then miss out on who we really want a year later because we don't have the money.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

For us Tahs fans most years are pretty painful lately

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The English Premiership clubs are going broke with no crowds and won't be getting them any time soon. The new season kicks off just 6 weeks after the grand final in 2 weeks time. Players are already on pay cuts and some like the Picone 3 left as they couldn't agree to them. More are coming. There's a shit load of lock talent over there. We should look to sign someone experience even if they're not Aus eligible. Fill the gap until the likes of Douglas, Williams etc are ready.

Wonder if Blake Enever would be on more now than what he was at the Brumbies.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The English Premiership clubs are going broke with no crowds and won't be getting them any time soon. The new season kicks off just 6 weeks after the grand final in 2 weeks time. Players are already on pay cuts and some like the Picone 3 left as they couldn't agree to them. More are coming. There's a shit load of lock talent over there. We should look to sign someone experience even if they're not Aus eligible. Fill the gap until the likes of Douglas, Williams etc are ready.

Wonder if Blake Enever would be on more now than what he was at the Brumbies.
He'd be more than we've got at the moment

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Chris Whitaker and Jason Gilmore re-signed as assistant coaches for 2021 and 2022.

Without an NRC it is disappointing that they will not get a chance to develop as head coaches. Hopefully we are able to play some u20 tests against NZ but the u20 RWC is looking highly unlikely.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Chris Whitaker and Jason Gilmore re-signed as assistant coaches for 2021 and 2022.

Happy with Gilmore staying. He turned our defence around quickly and with so many kids in our team (So far) he can continue their development.

Whitaker on the other hand hasn't improved anything. Our attack has gone backwards with the aimless pointless kicking. I really hope he learns something in the off season.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

It's also an excellent way of establishing a good culture of hard work, which pays long term dividends as well as short.

Brumbies are the perfect example - good team went to shit with star recruiting and big money. Fucked all the big names off, spent big on a good coaching setup instead of stars, and let the journeymen and kids upskill themselves as a tight team and become Wallabies en masse. 3 Wallabies in 2012 and beat the Lions without all of them the following year, and 75% of that team that beat the Lions became more than on e test wonders for the Wallabies.

All looks very similiar at the Tahs right now, looking forward to it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whitaker on the other hand hasn't improved anything. Our attack has gone backwards with the aimless pointless kicking. I really hope he learns something in the off season.

Our regular starters from 2019 were:

Phipps, Foley, Newsome, Beale (Hunt), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Clark, Folau (Beale)

For most of the season Newsome has been the only consistent selection who played in 2019. Gordon returned half way through Super Rugby AU and Hunt played a bit.

Harrison, Maddocks, Ramm, and Walton who all became consistent starters weren't in the squad last year and three of them made Super Rugby debuts this year.

We generally got better as the season went on (from a very low base).

I'm willing to give our attack a bit more time to find its straps.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Our regular starters from 2019 were:

Phipps, Foley, Newsome, Beale (Hunt), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Clark, Folau (Beale)

For most of the season Newsome has been the only consistent selection who played in 2019. Gordon returned half way through Super Rugby AU and Hunt played a bit.

Harrison, Maddocks, Ramm, and Walton who all became consistent starters weren't in the squad last year and three of them made Super Rugby debuts this year.

We generally got better as the season went on (from a very low base).

I'm willing to give our attack a bit more time to find its straps.

Our attack wasn't that great in 2019 either. A lot of pointless kicking too mixed in with hot potato style attack.

In 2020 when we ran the ball more we scored tries. When we went back to the aimless pointless kicking kicking style Whitaker introduced we went backwards.

A balance of distance kicking and strategic kicking with more running is needed.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Pretty blood good assistants. Waratahs might have the weakest roster but they have a killer coaching team.

As a Tahs fan, I'm very pleased we've retained Gilmore. But he did great work with the U20 Australian team, and it would be a shame if he misses the opportunity to continue that. Simon Cron was his predecessor there, another top young coach, but who only did one season with the U20s before going to the Tahs. If we really want a focus on the U20 program, it needs some stability in coaching.

I guess the international U20 program might not go ahead in 2021, tho.

Whittaker, meh. He didn't seem any good as an attack coach until this year, where our attack improved significantly through the season - perhaps the impact of the overall coaching change.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tahs have an excellent core to build around - just with some obvious gaps:

1 Bell
2 Horton
3 HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
6 Swinton / Harris
7 (Tizzano)
8 Dempsey
9 Gordon
10 Harrison
11 Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
12 (Morea)
13 (Walton)
14 Ramm
15 Maddocks

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Surely there must be some tall guys somewhere in the state!!!!
Wonder how fit Steve Williams is these days, would only be about 60.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Tahs have an excellent core to build around - just with some obvious gaps:

1 Bell
2 Horton
3 HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
6 Swinton / Harris
7 (Tizzano)
8 Dempsey
9 Gordon
10 Harrison
11 Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
12 (Morea)
13 (Walton)
14 Ramm
15 Maddocks
I would hope Doulass gets a run at lock. An old head for the other would be handy. If we do it'll be a good starting 15, but the depth might 've skinny.

Alex Ross (28)
I would hope Doulass gets a run at lock. An old head for the other would be handy. If we do it'll be a good starting 15, but the depth might 've skinny.
Staniforth is an okay lock, but he’s not dynamic enough. Great work rate, but hardly impactful. I do hope Douglas is ready to give it a crack too. Depth is still woefully shallow. The optimist in me is saying they have cleared the decks to make way for Rodda. The realist in me says they are broke AF and we have no chance of fielding a competitive squad next year. Better to hope for some development in the young guys.