• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not that we should be casting stones but I'd be asking for pay in advance from that comp, the whole thing sounds a bit Mickey-Mouse to me - An owner of two clubs named after two cocktails he's trying to coin doesn't scream sustainable business plan to me

He's also probably worth a couple of hundred million so if he's serious about it he's got pretty deep pockets to fund the team as the competition expands and the teams become more valuable.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree he's hardly set the world on fire this season but I'm not Penney has known where to play him, with KB (Kurtley Beale) going at year end I'd have assumed he'd be first choice for 15.

Or most of last season, so far he has provided no evidence he deserves a place on the bench let alone starting at 15

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
He was solid for the Rebels last year. Plus everyone forgets how young he is, he’d still make an u23 team

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought we were going to get a Maddocks-Crichton package deal at the Tahs when Crichton's Roosters contract ended.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think Maddocks has a fair bit of upside, even if we didn't see much of it earlier this year.
The thing is, with Rona, Beale and Folau all gone, we are desperately short of outside backs. You're really only left with Hunt who will shortly be applying for his seniors card, a few journeymen who would battle to get a start anywhere else, a leaguie who hasn't been tried yet, and a group of kids with about 10 part games of super rugby between them. Not sure if we can afford to lose Maddocks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Maddocks has a fair bit of upside, even if we didn't see much of it earlier this year.
The thing is, with Rona, Beale and Folau all gone, we are desperately short of outside backs. You're really only left with Hunt who will shortly be applying for his seniors card, a few journeymen who would battle to get a start anywhere else, a leaguie who hasn't been tried yet, and a group of kids with about 10 part games of super rugby between them. Not sure if we can afford to lose Maddocks.

I would just like to see a lot more effort, if he thinks of himself as a 15, I would like to see a bit more effort, lots of talent, just not enough work

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maddocks hasn't had much of a chance to impress this season. I don't see why we wouldn't give him a run at 15 considering how shockers Beale has been.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Maddocks hasn't had much of a chance to impress this season. I don't see why we wouldn't give him a run at 15 considering how shockers Beale has been.
If he hung around until next year he'd if got his 15 chance. He was hardly banging the door down this year and hasn't had a lot of fullback experience a t this level

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder if that means a) Hunt is done or b) Maddocks is done and Hunt to FB or c) the dream - a team with options!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
or d) Beale is leaving

Already known but yes you're right, but that pushed Maddocks to wing when he wants to be FB - so option D stands if Maddocks stays at Wing (Godwin 12, Hunt 15)

BUT knowing the Tahs luck, it will be bloody option e) ALL of Maddocks, Hunt and Beale leave, then Godwin is 12 and the Tahs are worse off then ever.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Already known but yes you're right, but that pushed Maddocks to wing when he wants to be FB - so option D stands if Maddocks stays at Wing (Godwin 12, Hunt 15)

BUT knowing the Tahs luck, it will be bloody option e) ALL of Maddocks, Hunt and Beale leave, then Godwin is 12 and the Tahs are worse off then ever.
Isn't Maddocks leaving at the end of the season?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Isn't Maddocks leaving at the end of the season?

Is it confirmed? Thought it was just talks. Surely Tahs will try quite hard to keep him, its just the wallabies who aren't interested at this stage. The only person who has got good game out of Maddocks was Quade.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Can’t imagine Mason hanging around. He’s likely gone too surely?

Would it be hanging around or let go?... I can't say he's done enough to cement himself in to that 10 jersey. Which is a shame because he really did show real promise in his younger years. His development behind Foley and then this season being cut short has done him no favours. Maybe a change of scene might do him good in developing his craft in another setup (or even competition).

If he does depart who do the Tah's bring in behind Will Harrison? Do you you hold onto someone like Ben Donaldson (or some other young prospect)?... or bring in someone in their twilight to learn off... say a Berrick Barnes.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Would it be hanging around or let go?. I can't say he's done enough to cement himself in to that 10 jersey. Which is a shame because he really did show real promise in his younger years. His development behind Foley and then this season being cut short has done him no favours. Maybe a change of scene might do him good in developing his craft in another setup (or even competition).

If he does depart who do the Tah's bring in behind Will Harrison? Do you you hold onto someone like Ben Donaldson (or some other young prospect)?. or bring in someone in their twilight to learn off. say a Berrick Barnes.
He won't be resigned. I'd assume Donaldson will be kept on as a 5/8 fullback backup