• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
He won't be resigned. I'd assume Donaldson will be kept on as a 5/8 fullback backup

Probably the most likely senario, just thought getting in some older experience to help mentor the younger boys wouldn't go astray and Matt Cockbain from memory was Berrick's coach at Ricoh Black Rams so a 1year deal for a player of his caliber would be interesting to see.

I guess seeing the likes of Carter at the Blues or even Cruden at the Chief got me thinking about the value in having some of these older heads around to learn off.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Probably the most likely senario, just thought getting in some older experience to help mentor the younger boys wouldn't go astray and Matt Cockbain from memory was Berrick's coach at Ricoh Black Rams so a 1year deal for a player of his caliber would be interesting to see.

I guess seeing the likes of Carter at the Blues or even Cruden at the Chief got me thinking about the value in having some of these older heads around to learn off.
Yep, I'd take the likes of Carter or Cruden every day of the week, but Barnes not so much, he's not in their class. With such uncertain times I'd hedge my bets on hoping the youngsters step up and not spend money on players that are in the twighlight as a stop gap.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep, I'd take the likes of Carter or Cruden every day of the week, but Barnes not so much, he's not in their class. With such uncertain times I'd hedge my bets on hoping the youngsters step up and not spend money on players that are in the twighlight as a stop gap.

Fair enough. Was just trying to think of someone who wouldn't break the bank but might have something to offer... not flush with ex. Aussie flyhalfs that you could bring back, learn from.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Fair enough. Was just trying to think of someone who wouldn't break the bank but might have something to offer. not flush with ex. Aussie flyhalfs that you could bring back, learn from.
Yep. It's been a few lean years for Aussie 10s... Things are looking up though :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would it be hanging around or let go?. I can't say he's done enough to cement himself in to that 10 jersey. Which is a shame because he really did show real promise in his younger years.

Did he though? I mean at school sure. But did we ever see anything much from him when playing with adults?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
If you compare the three or four games Mason has had, with the same number from Harrison, it's chalk and cheese really

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Kyle Godwin is exactly the sort of player the Waratahs need. Experienced, talented but not old. Right now the Tahs don't have many players like that.
A lack of rugby has definitely led to some healthy revisionism around here- the combination of Kyle Godwin and Reece Hodge won’t exactly be keeping opposition players up at night.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
And people are arguing that a cheap Berrick Barnes, who is known for being the consummate professional (on/off the field) and great team member, would be a poor acquisition compared to the (expensive) Kyle Godwin and Reece Hodge?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Barnes announced his retirement in April because:
"I'm really sorry I couldn't contribute more on and off the field. Unfortunately my body is no longer allowing me to do what I was able to do in the past and for that reason I have chosen to retire."

I really doubt he would take a super contract for next year if he didn't feel himself up to the Japanese competition.

He might be a reasonable addition as an assistant coach if it's to help bring on the younger fly halves, but he'd have to be very cheap for that to be viable you'd think.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
And people are arguing that a cheap Berrick Barnes, who is known for being the consummate professional (on/off the field) and great team member, would be a poor acquisition compared to the (expensive) Kyle Godwin and Reece Hodge?
No knock on Barnes, but we need centres and outside backs, not 10s which is where the conversation Harrison and Donaldson won't improve by sitting on the bench and at 34 he'd be a short term option. Isn't Barnes still signed in Japan? Why do you think he'd be cheap?

EDIT. Just read Wilson's comment so moot anyway.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
A lack of rugby has definitely led to some healthy revisionism around here- the combination of Kyle Godwin and Reece Hodge won’t exactly be keeping opposition players up at night.

Both those players would be substantial upgrades for the squad. Hodge is probably the best utility back in Australian rugby at the moment.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Yeah, don't know if Godwin ever really went on from his early promise (a bit like a few others hanging around the Tahs) but at Super level I think Hodge would be a great addition.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Barnes announced his retirement in April because:

I really doubt he would take a super contract for next year if he didn't feel himself up to the Japanese competition.

He might be a reasonable addition as an assistant coach if it's to help bring on the younger fly halves, but he'd have to be very cheap for that to be viable you'd think.

Barnes was just me reflecting or riffing on possibilities (didn't need to be Barnes particularly). Just reflecting on the youth the Tah's have and what might assist some of these developing players in evolving from good to great (outside of just more games). Watching some of the NZ teams and how many of their 10's have been afforded the opportunity to evolve alongside / learn off other players got me thinking about next year.

I guess Lolesio is doing well enough without an older head to learn off.

Anyway I didn't know he'd (Barnes) called it quits. Be interested to see where to next for him (Barnes).

Both those players would be substantial upgrades for the squad. Hodge is probably the best utility back in Australian rugby at the moment.

Rewatching the 2019 Bledisloe, I feel Hodge still has a lot to give. Always struck me as someone with a good work ethic.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Did he though? I mean at school sure. But did we ever see anything much from him when playing with adults?

I did say younger days and as The Honey Badger said there has been glimpses, but no, no ones arguing he hasn't achieved what was hoped.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not denying the value of having experience around him, but I’d actually be pretty happy with how Harrison is going if I was a Tahs supporter.

He’s not ripping the completion up, but given that how the rest of the team is going around him he is going pretty bloody well for a 21 year old playmaker in his first year of super rugby.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Barnes was just me reflecting or riffing on possibilities (didn't need to be Barnes particularly). Just reflecting on the youth the Tah's have and what might assist some of these developing players in evolving from good to great (outside of just more games). Watching some of the NZ teams and how many of their 10's have been afforded the opportunity to evolve alongside / learn off other players got me thinking about next year.

I agree with you there, I think there's plenty of value in having a few older heads around in some of the key decision making positions when bringing the younger players on. The problem (one of many, obviously) Australian rugby faces is there just aren't that many fly halves still available, at least as players. Jono Lance might be the only availability there, but if the Force come back into super rugby beyond this year I imagine he'd prefer to stay there. Particularly if he gets a chance at the wallabies this year.