• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
There’s a bloke called McReight who might object to giving up his 7 jersey in Queensland.
McReight still has a bit to go before I’m convinced he will be in the same contention as Tizzano. Tizzano has massive strength and less unforced errors. I’m 100% for the Reds but credit where credit is due.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ahh.what does young Edmed bring to the table? What game does he play for Eastwood? I haven't seen much of him but he looks very much like his dad. As in he has the creative juices of a 1980s league prop.

He is a bit old style, for sure. Reminds me a lot of John Ballesty. Very good goal kicker, good in defence. He could become our Owen Farrell. His father was a 1990s league prop :).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
McReight still has a bit to go before I’m convinced he will be in the same contention as Tizzano. Tizzano has massive strength and less unforced errors. I’m 100% for the Reds but credit where credit is due.
Disagree. Tizzano let in two tries against Reds and Brumbies with his read of defence. Tackles all day long, but needs to learn to focus his energy better. I also think McReight is much better in attack and as a link-man, But this is a Tahs forum so wont continue talking about McReight

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I disagree. The level of rugby on display last night was embarrassing. The drop balls, the poor on field kicking, the missed tackles and the lack of attacking play was far from a Super Rugby level. The basics were atrocious. Will Harrison (who I rate) had limited options to move forward. Hooper is sorely missed as a leader.
I think there was only 5 errors reported in first half. Maybe comparing to previous games but I enjoyed it and did not feel standard that bad. Maybe I have rose coloured glasses on and want to be positive to the tahs as at least improving week to week. Tactical kicking agree perhaps not so great.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Honestly if i were Harrison and i had ambitions of being Wallabies 10 I'd be eyeing up a move to another franchise. For example, it'd be great to see what he could do in the Reds back line with O'Connor outside him.

I think of all the youngsters we have, he has the most potential. He's also in a position the Wallabies have been short on in recent years too.
Yeh I think Harrison slightly ahead of Noah at the moment - Harrison had a good game outside tactical kicking.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Disagree. Tizzano let in two tries against Reds and Brumbies with his read of defence. Tackles all day long, but needs to learn to focus his energy better. I also think McReight is much better in attack and as a link-man, But this is a Tahs forum so wont continue talking about McReight
I guess we like what we like in a flanker. Tizzano’s strength, ball control and work around the ruck is impressive, and improving each year. If you’re in a good attacking team your flanker always look better.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Noah is progressing nicely and I would say shining more than Harrison at this point. Harrison is the style of flyhalf I prefer for test rugby.

Noah shines by virtue of being in a way better team. I think they are very similar players, and more or less at the same stage of development.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To my eye Tizzano and McReight are fairly even, with Fraser maybe better by a whisker.

Tizzano hits harder and has a higher workrate in tight and in D (although McReight is no slouch)

Fraser is a better link man and is stronger over the ball.

They both look like great prospects.
Maybe we should just play both.

Should work.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Personally, while I think Tizzano has been great, I don’t see any evidence he is a better player, or even at a similiar level at the moment, or that it is a forgone conclusion he will be. McReight didn’t get his test cap by fluke.

But it’s early days for both of them.

Time will tell. In the short term I expect Hooper will still be picked before them both.

I thought Harrison was falling behind the pack at 10, but I thought he was great last night with not much support.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tizzano and McReight are like George Smith and Phil Waugh. Both will be great. Both have different strengths and will be likely to picked in accordance with how those strengths fit the Wallabies team at the time. A luxury to have.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Lolesio looks a bit stronger in contact to me, a bit more physically mature. I really would not like to see Harrison starting for the Wobbs. It could be Pat Howard all over again, I reckon.
Harrison is certainly not ready for the Wallabies call up yet. He learned a lot in 2020 with the squad and let’s hope he gets the opportunity again this year.