• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don’t mind there being a high performance team in principle as there are meant to be distinct layers in NSW Rugby. Problem is at the moment there is only one layer and no performance!

Does that mean that He is actually going to run for the position next month?? The inference would be that nobody else is going to.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the ‘high performance team’ is meeting at Waratah HQ. I have always wondered what exactly is a high performance team nobody has ever been able to explain it to me and what they do. It is an invention (or added overhead) of the last 20 years, so how did teams become successful in days before they had high performance teams?

Also it mentions that Roger Davis will consider his position at the end of the year. That is utter arrogance he has go and go now safe in the knowledge that he has left NSW Rugby in worse position than when he arrived.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...eighs-up-penney-s-future-20210309-p5796r.html

High-performing teams are composed of individuals with specialized expertise and complementary skills who are goal-oriented and hyper-focused on achieving clear, outstanding results. Together they collaborate and innovate to produce work at the highest levels.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
No offence to the Force, but I fucking prey to the Rugby gods that the Rodda article is a tool used by his crazy agent to drum up the Tahs price

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
No offence to the Force, but I fucking prey to the Rugby gods that the Rodda article is a tool used by his crazy agent to drum up the Tahs price
Article in the Australian indicating whoever signs Rodda it won’t be about price because of some sort of fixed pricing model that means no team can out bid the other for him.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
None taken. Who wouldn't want him. I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like we need him more than you do.

I'd put your eggs in the Skelton basket. Failing that, make a play for a pair of Arnolds. How good would a back 5 of Arnold 1, Arnold 2, Swinton, Hooper, Hanigan be?

Yeah I know Hanigan isn't an 8, but he's athletic and could make it happen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
None taken. Who wouldn't want him. I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like we need him more than you do.

I'd put your eggs in the Skelton basket. Failing that, make a play for a pair of Arnolds. How good would a back 5 of Arnold 1, Arnold 2, Swinton, Hooper, Hanigan be?

As long as they don't pass go.
And like being paid with this.
1*KsL8rPbAZF_jxUG0hnEeEA@2x.jpg

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
High-performing teams are composed of individuals with specialized expertise and complementary skills who are goal-oriented and hyper-focused on achieving clear, outstanding results. Together they collaborate and innovate to produce work at the highest levels.

Thanks for that but it raises another question. You know those team building days you have at work what activities do ‘High Performance Teams’ do compared to just a regular team? I can only think the ‘High Performance’ probably engage in session of telling each other how good they are, that would fill the entire day.

Just call it a committee, panel, advisory board by all means undertake the review provide your advice and plans. Don’t give yourselves grandiose titles to inflate you sense of self worth, because what you are trying to achieve is not about you.

Dropping this pretentious crap can be the first step in a long journey back for the Tahs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Read an article where Tahs were reviewing the coach’s suitability to stay for the season.

in the article they mention, that, as the Tahs have a bye this week, they return to training on Thursday.

It’s not like they need to work harder to try and bridge the gap.....

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Maddocks was on a great contract with RA contribution I think (Cheika driven). I don't think his next Tahs only contract will be nearly as nice.
RA will need to find deep pockets for the Tah’s player stability over the next couple of years. And if there are overseas players looking to return to Australia in 2022, a financial incentives to join the Tahs. For the best interest of rugby in our country the Tahs need assistance quickly.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
RA will need to find deep pockets for the Tah’s player stability over the next couple of years. And if there are overseas players looking to return to Australia in 2022, a financial incentives to join the Tahs. For the best interest of rugby in our country the Tahs need assistance quickly.

But it shouldn't come from RA as the Waratahs have bathed in the preferential treatment and RA largesse for years with directed Wallaby top-ups greater than other franchises of up to $2M per year.

The fact that the Waratahs establishment has blown this treatment is nobody's fault other the Waratahss organisation. (and the incestuous relationship and poor governance shown by RA).

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Maddocks was on a great contract with RA contribution I think (Cheika driven). I don't think his next Tahs only contract will be nearly as nice.

There's a fair bit of anti tah rhetoric coming through with commentary more based in existing antipathy then fact.

Maddocks contract was nailed down during his Rebels period, so the inference that it was Tah centric is garbage...

As far as being bathed in preferential treatment, that is just out and out BS based on nothing. RA top ups were based simply on PONI basis, if the Tahs are producing more wallabies, they obviously end up with more players on top ups.

Where was the preferential treatment?

Those players were from NSW and benefited from top ups as they were selected for the wallabies. The actual 'demonstrable' preferential treatment has been dished out to the Force, Rebels and Brumbies for years who were all signing NSW and Qld players but contributing sfa whilst marquee players like Giteau, Mitchell, Shepherd, Cummins, Sharpe, Freier, Mortlock, Pocock, Staniforth, Henjak, Cannon, Fava et.al All followed the cash south or west.

I personally love the fact that there are five Aust teams in Super Rugby, but spare us the BS about NSW preferential treatment mate, it's crap.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The biggest share of RA top-ups this year will be going to the Reds & Brumbies players, there will be SFA to the Tahs. With Hooper, Simmons and Hanigan gone, the total Tahs representation from last year's Wallabies are two bench players, Bell and Gordon (incidentally both of whom are currently injured), and a one test wonder in Swinton. Not a lot of $$ in top-ups there I wouldn't think.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Thankfully, we've been graced with Roger Davis's thoughts on the Tahs, now that he's returned refreshed from the wilds of Tasmania: scrum bad, defence bad, lost a lot of talent, Penney has our support until he doesn't, can't afford more losses. Our ad-hoc review panel has had some great ideas that we'll pass on to the coach.

Great work. No apparent thoughts on the board's performance.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The biggest share of RA top-ups this year will be going to the Reds & Brumbies players, there will be SFA to the Tahs. With Hooper, Simmons and Hanigan gone, the total Tahs representation from last year's Wallabies are two bench players, Bell and Gordon (incidentally both of whom are currently injured), and a one test wonder in Swinton. Not a lot of $$ in top-ups there I wouldn't think.

I’m not sure how many at the Reds would be on PONI contracts, most were signed long term before they hit Wallabies. Tupou, JOC (James O'Connor) and Vunivalu would be the three I can think of.

Rebels with Koroibete, Hodge and To'omua would be getting a bit. Possibly DHP, Uelese and Naisarni as well.

Brumbies have AAA, Sio, White, Banks, Slipper and Fainga'a. Maybe Samu and Valetini as well.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I’m not sure how many at the Reds would be on PONI contracts, most were signed long term before they hit Wallabies. Tupou, JOC (James O'Connor) and Vunivalu would be the three I can think of.

Rebels with Koroibete, Hodge and To'omua would be getting a bit. Possibly DHP, Uelese and Naisarni as well.

Brumbies have AAA, Sio, White, Banks, Slipper and Fainga'a. Maybe Samu and Valetini as well.

You would also throw in LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), BPA, JP with Wilson, McD and Paisami likely soon. So way more than 3

But that's the way it should work, you produce the players who become wallabies and they get their well deserved top ups.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Fuck that, let's just sign Itoje and PSdT

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm guessing by your tone you think it is unrealistic. Is it?

There is a 2023 RWC and 2025 Lion Series. I'd be surprised if a handful of players- Skelton, Arnolds, Coleman, etc- wouldn't want to come back for a crack at that. Lions are effectively once in a lifetime unless you are 20-21 the first time around.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
There's a fair bit of anti tah rhetoric coming through with commentary more based in existing antipathy then fact.

Maddocks contract was nailed down during his Rebels period, so the inference that it was Tah centric is garbage.

As far as being bathed in preferential treatment, that is just out and out BS based on nothing. RA top ups were based simply on PONI basis, if the Tahs are producing more wallabies, they obviously end up with more players on top ups.

Those players were from NSW and benefited from top ups as they were selected for the wallabies. The actual 'demonstrable' preferential treatment has been dished out to the Force, Rebels and Brumbies for years who were all signing NSW and Qld players but contributing sfa whilst marquee players like Giteau, Mitchell, Shepherd, Cummins, Sharpe, Freier, Mortlock, Pocock, Staniforth, Henjak, Cannon, Fava et.al All followed the cash south or west.

I personally love the fact that there are five Aust teams in Super Rugby, but spare us the BS about NSW preferential treatment mate, it's crap.

Where in my comment did I write that there was NSW preferential treatment? I implied nothing of the sort - you inferred it.

I wrote Cheika would have been behind his previous large contract (as Wallabies coach he determined PONI money I believe). Yes Maddocks was at the Rebels for Cheikas reign (I didn't say otherwise?)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Maddocks contract was nailed down during his Rebels period, so the inference that it was Tah centric is garbage.

You clearly wanted to get this off your chest, but perhaps you should have written it as a stand alone post, or in response to another comment where it would have been appropriate?