• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not a lot of $$ in top-ups there I wouldn't think.
True since covid. That's not surprising, though, when the board is more than a million short on player recruitment.

Surely this is not a deliberate handbrake so the Aus super model falls over? Surely not.

But obviously when the squad base has been so hollowed, there's not too much to top up.

There's a fair bit of anti tah rhetoric coming through

I would say the rhetoric is mostly aimed at the rugby mafia rather the actual Waratahs.

Where the choice is between administrative scoundrels/incompetents and the Tahs, I'm fully behind the Tahs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
High-performing teams are composed of individuals with specialized expertise and complementary skills who are goal-oriented and hyper-focused on achieving clear, outstanding results. Together they collaborate and innovate to produce work at the highest levels.

Buzzword Bingo winner!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You would also throw in LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), BPA, JP with Wilson, McD and Paisami likely soon. So way more than 3

But that's the way it should work, you produce the players who become wallabies and they get their well deserved top ups.

If we’re talking players on PONI top ups, then I don’t think Wilson, McDermott, Paisami or Petaia would fall into that category noting they all signed long term contracts well before they earned wallaby call-ups

Alex Ross (28)
I’m not sure how many at the Reds would be on PONI contracts, most were signed long term before they hit Wallabies. Tupou, JOC (James O'Connor) and Vunivalu would be the three I can think of.

Rebels with Koroibete, Hodge and To'omua would be getting a bit. Possibly DHP, Uelese and Naisarni as well.

Brumbies have AAA, Sio, White, Banks, Slipper and Fainga'a. Maybe Samu and Valetini as well.

Petaia is on a long term RA contract, as is Daugunu. He had an RA contract before he even played for the Wallabies. Not to mention there was Rodda and Isaac Lucas before they skipped out. RA had thrown a lot of support behind getting the reds up to scratch.

Alex Ross (28)
If we’re talking players on PONI top ups, then I don’t think Wilson, McDermott, Paisami or Petaia would fall into that category noting they all signed long term contracts well before they earned wallaby call-ups
Petaia defiantly does. As does Daugunu and even Issac Lucas had an RA top up. In fact, the long contracts for Tate McDermont and Fraser McReight were also joint RA and QLD announcements. They could well have an RA portion also.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to sign a lot of this list but heres a bunch of locks i would imagine would come back to the Waratahs for a burn. Spare me as I'm not sure who's contracted for how long etc.
  • Kane Douglass
  • Will Skelton
  • Adam Coleman
  • Sam Carter
  • Luke jones
  • Lopeti Timani
  • Sam Jeffries
  • Blake Enever
  • Hugh Pyle(haven't heard of him in a bit)
  • Arnolds (as mentioned)
side note Whatever happened to Lolo Fakaosilea?
See also, Adam Korzyk, Caleb Timu, Colby Faiinga and Leroy Houston?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Most of that list are bang average but can earn half a mil in Europe because they got the tall.

and most of those are in their superannuation phase of their game play ie played long enough in oz and next to no chance coming back as earning great coin

Bit annoyed with media circus on how RA helping Waratahs due to 3 losses etc..Cripes anybody could see it was a weak squad and yet they spent $1m under the salary cap. Penny should not be under scrutiny but rather the shambolic leadership of NSWRU that has led to Penny inheriting the crap he has inherited with limited purse strings and flailing fan support

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Surely if you play a certain number of Wallaby games, you earn a Wallaby top up? I would think the contract would detail how this works. I would have thought it would be in RA's interest to reward their emerging Wallaby talent or otherwise it might disappear.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to sign a lot of this list but heres a bunch of locks i would imagine would come back to the Waratahs for a burn. Spare me as I'm not sure who's contracted for how long etc.
  • Kane Douglass
  • Will Skelton
  • Adam Coleman
  • Sam Carter
  • Luke jones
  • Lopeti Timani
  • Sam Jeffries
  • Blake Enever
  • Hugh Pyle(haven't heard of him in a bit)
  • Arnolds (as mentioned)
side note Whatever happened to Lolo Fakaosilea?

See also, Adam Korzyk, Caleb Timu, Colby Faiinga and Leroy Houston?

Fakasolia been in Japan since 2018 - Only 25 so could be Japanese at next WC.
Korzyk just got plain dumped I think
Timu at Montpellier - still only 27
Fainga'a doing well at Lyon

Coleman contract ends soon but he is one of the highest paid in the premiership...sooo high expectations I think. Whilst he is younger then Skelton and Arnold, I think they offer more.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
You clearly wanted to get this off your chest, but perhaps you should have written it as a stand alone post, or in response to another comment where it would have been appropriate?

apologies, was actually directed reply to the very next comment by Forcefan

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The actual 'demonstrable' preferential treatment has been dished out to the Brumbies for years who were all signing NSW and Qld players but contributing sfa whilst marquee players like Giteau, Henjak, et.al All followed the cash south or west.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was pretty young at the time but I seem to recall people saying that any talent emerging from NSW that wasn't part of the schoolboys club would just go to Canberra, back when the Brumbies first kicked off.

Seems to have eventuated.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
and most of those are in their superannuation phase of their game play ie played long enough in oz and next to no chance coming back as earning great coin

Bit annoyed with media circus on how RA helping Waratahs due to 3 losses etc..Cripes anybody could see it was a weak squad and yet they spent $1m under the salary cap. Penny should not be under scrutiny but rather the shambolic leadership of NSWRU that has led to Penny inheriting the crap he has inherited with limited purse strings and flailing fan support

Yep, losing 4 Wallaby forwards who were replaced by unknowns

Then losing the captain and leader who to directed the team - who was replaced with someone who has no muscle memory with the 10, who has a 12 with little experience outside him and our 3rd choice 13 and new captain outside him

But the coach is the concern

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
flailing fan support
wacky_waving_inflatable_arm_flailing_tube_man.gif

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely if you play a certain number of Wallaby games, you earn a Wallaby top up? I would think the contract would detail how this works. I would have thought it would be in RA's interest to reward their emerging Wallaby talent or otherwise it might disappear.

Previously non top up players receive higher matchies. Not sure of the new 2021 CBA.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

No that’s what the match day payments are for, a nationally contracted player or PONI, is seperate again

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I was pretty young at the time but I seem to recall people saying that any talent emerging from NSW that wasn't part of the schoolboys club would just go to Canberra, back when the Brumbies first kicked off.

Seems to have eventuated.
The Brumbies were made up of mostly NSW rejects initially. Those deemed not good enough early in their careers. Same happens today and for the most part they never return. Recognising talent is not now, and has never been, a strength of NSW rugby.