• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I know things are tough - but I guess I was hoping with Hooper, Beale & Simmons all leaving plus Robinson, Holloway, Hanigan and a few others there would be something available to use for a key signing or two.

Assuming I’m wrong, who are the young locks in the system that might at least become an option in a year or two?
Douglas the only one I rate. There really is no money, so no savings to be had:(

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I know things are tough - but I guess I was hoping with Hooper, Beale & Simmons all leaving plus Robinson, Holloway, Hanigan and a few others there would be something available to use for a key signing or two.

Assuming I’m wrong, who are the young locks in the system that might at least become an option in a year or two?
Jeremy Williams and Max Douglas will be the goods in a couple of years, I wouldn't want them to have to step up to starting next year though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So we actually have got rid of all locks on books at start of the year - impressive - and only have signed Sam Wykes. So we need at least 3 other locks to sign even if looking at reduced squad.

Alex Ross (28)
So we actually have got rid of all locks on books at start of the year - impressive - and only have signed Sam Wykes. So we need at least 3 other locks to sign even if looking at reduced squad.
It is well and truely beyond a joke.......

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Although it is really annoying that the Tahs have released so many locks most of the locks released were rubbish or didn't excel.

Simmons was necessary at the time. Holloway never kicked on. Staniforth offered little, Hanigan tried hard but at times went missing and only got found when the ref found him when he gave away penalties and Beanpole never showed anything apart from being an extra goal post

The fact we have lost so many and announced one means hopefully a few signings will be announced soon.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Locks in Shute Shield

Eastwood: Anstee & Granger
Easts: McCauley & Digby
Norths: Carroll & Henaway
Uni: Atkins & Rotuisolia
Gordon: J Margin & Mitchell
Randwick: Hoedt & Nowlan (& J Skelton @8)
Warringah: Davies & ODell
West H: Sharp & Wendt
Southern: Freeman & Douglas
Manly: M Douglas & Dalzell
WS2B: Vea & Kioa
Penrith: Castle & Fifita
Hunter:Burrill & Edwards

Which of these guys could go up a level?

There are plenty of raps on Anstee, Digby played well last week. Ratu Rotuisolia certanly has the height and is a very good player. Margin - both brothers good players.. Hoedt has been with Tahs. Skelton just for the name. Davies and Odell both good players at Rats. M Douglas is there already. Not sure about the rest.

Alex Ross (28)
Although it is really annoying that the Tahs have released so many locks most of the locks released were rubbish or didn't excel.

Simmons was necessary at the time. Holloway never kicked on. Staniforth offered little, Hanigan tried hard but at times went missing and only got found when the ref found him when he gave away penalties and Beanpole never showed anything apart from being an extra goal post

The fact we have lost so many and announced one means hopefully a few signings will be announced soon.

Does the signing of Sam Wykes have you thinking that we are getting better players than the ones who have left? Even if who we had weren’t amazing. It’s not like there is much evidence that we’re clearing out for a better squad in 2021. I see a trend and it’s downward.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
Does the signing of Sam Wykes have you thinking that we are getting better players than the ones who have left? Even if who we had weren’t amazing. It’s not like there is much evidence that we’re clearing out for a better squad in 2021. I see a trend and it’s downward.

My theory is the they're trying to eek out a 2021 season and focus on 2022 with the likely trans-Tasman comp and greater certainty on broadcast income. It will be interesting to see where they intend to play games next year as well as you wonder if they'll ditch the regional games

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
My theory is the they're trying to eek out a 2021 season and focus on 2022 with the likely trans-Tasman comp and greater certainty on broadcast income. It will be interesting to see where they intend to play games next year as well as you wonder if they'll ditch the regional games

2022 is the new stadium too. Can see them trying to load up a little for that if possible.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Apparently the Tahs have signed Sam Caird. Played NZ U20s for 2 years, then Waikato and Blues/Northland.

202cm
116kg
Ranga

Sam Caird in action

20160507_DSC_0526.jpg20160507_DSC_0595.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sam Wykes is ok...as a signing

It is more what we put around him and if he is the ceiling - if so wooden spoon here we come