• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It should be a better time to be appointed than Gibson or Penney.

They're coming off an historic low and should have substantially more money to spend on players and have almost no restriction to current high priced dud contracts.

I think it's a good opportunity for any coach to be able to show a turnaround because a fair chunk of it should just come from having access to better players.

Those are easy fixes, but until there is significant organisational change then the Waratahs coaching role is a poisoned chalice, they need to clear out the board and start completely fresh with an organisation who is aligned in direction and principles. Not one who is simply going to scape goat the coach at the earliest opportunity.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
If I was Manenti, I would take the Tahs job if I could. I couldn't imagine a coaching gig as gruelling as the international Sevens circuit. At least with the Waratahs you aren't on an international flight every few days.
That being said, I'm still holding out for Cheika.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If I was Manenti, I would take the Tahs job if I could. I couldn't imagine a coaching gig as gruelling as the international Sevens circuit. At least with the Waratahs you aren't on an international flight every few days.
That being said, I'm still holding out for Cheika.
Hopefully on the rugby nation show cheika’s fellow commentators ask cheika if he is interested in tahs role as one way to quickly know if he would consider it. Landing cheika would be gold...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Why not Campo

giphy.gif

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think they can play a significant role in the pathway. But not the be all and end all of it. There needs to be robust participation that focuses on development and inclusion. Offering options for social and competitive Rugby alike.

What the NSW Rugby Board need to do is implement a range of reforms that target the entire scope of rugby in NSW from kids upward.

I bang on and fucking on and on about this, but with youth participation being the first step, this entire school vs club bullshit has to stop. There needs to be a way for them to coexist, and not to compete with each other for players entering the important transition from youth to adult.

Similarly, if SRU want to be the feeder for Super Rugby, by all means let's make that happen, and provide the funding and structure for those who meet the criteria, and can get the necessary financial backing off their own bat to go the next level.

Anything else is just shuffling deck chairs.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Tolu Latu Australian rugby news Stade Francais drink driving (nine.com.au)

Latu's club Stade Francais today confirmed that the 28-year-old "was involved in a traffic accident causing material damage early Sunday afternoon."
Respected sports newspaper L'Equipe and news outlet RTL had previously reported that Latu had been drinking alcohol and then fell asleep at the wheel of his vehicle and allegedly hit several parked vehicles.

Idiot. No thanks to him coming back. Trouble on and off the field

BIgz20

Stan Wickham (3)
Tolu Latu Australian rugby news Stade Francais drink driving (nine.com.au)

Latu's club Stade Francais today confirmed that the 28-year-old "was involved in a traffic accident causing material damage early Sunday afternoon."
Respected sports newspaper L'Equipe and news outlet RTL had previously reported that Latu had been drinking alcohol and then fell asleep at the wheel of his vehicle and allegedly hit several parked vehicles.

Idiot. No thanks to him coming back. Trouble on and off the field

Interesting as he has signed with the reds...
Lets see what stance SJ, BT and DR take on this considering they did not pick the last 3 hookers from 2019 WC and BT stance re KH and JS

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Davis is clearly a fucking moron.

What the hell did he expect? Going into a competition intentionally hamstrung and then sacking the coach when the team fucking sucks because of your own god damn decision.

Defies belief. How this fluffybunny has a job at all. Surely he's breached some duty which we can go after him for? Fuckin malfeasant fluffybunny.

end rant.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

What the hell did he expect? Going into a competition intentionally hamstrung and then sacking the coach when the team fucking sucks because of your own god damn decision.

Defies belief. How this fluffybunny has a job at all. Surely he's breached some duty which we can go after him for? Fuckin malfeasant fluffybunny.

end rant.

Quality rant though Derpus. Mind you I can understand your frustration, and Penney has not really held back on him.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
I love how in that article Penney doesn't come off at all like he's burning bridges or muckraking. He just sounds calm, methodical, stating things as they are and saying things in the hope those in charge will listen to. No bad blood.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Penney has given an interview to the SMH - suggests he wasn't entirely on board with the cut-price recruitment program, says Davis promised him patience and resources, but gave him neither:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...to-account-after-sacking-20210330-p57fbj.html

Far be it from me to support Davis. I have disliked him intensely ever since his club rugby days. However, we did have a bit of a problem last year. Everybody seems to have kind of overlooked that.

Promises that might have been made prior to the onset of the pandemic are hardly grounds for complaint when they were broken.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

end rant.

Yep, he totally overlooked the onset of a global pandemic when he oversaw the budgeting process.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Far be it from me to support Davis. I have disliked him intensely ever since his club rugby days. However, we did have a bit of a problem last year. Everybody seems to have kind of overlooked that.

Promises that might have been made prior to the onset of the pandemic are hardly grounds for complaint when they were broken.

That raging cop-out swings both ways though. If the boards performance is mitigated by external stressors so too was Penney's.

Its a fucking farce, no two ways about it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That raging cop-out swings both ways though. If the boards performance is mitigated by external stressors so too was Penney's.

Its a fucking farce, no two ways about it.

So you accept the point. A lot happened that was totally outside the Board's control. I have supported Penney, but I do think it is disingenuous of him not to acknowledge that the impact of a huge financial disaster was a large factor affecting the franchise, and his ability to spend more on recruitment. That said, a couple of his lock recruits are pretty dreadful.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sure, I accept the point. I don't see how that saves Davis from the gross hypocrisy of his decision. But as you were.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
If the boards performance is mitigated by external stressors so too was Penney's.

From another article earlier in the week immediately after the sacking, it sounded to me like the board were expecting scoreboard improvements. When you've got a team this under-experienced, you need to be looking for more nuanced improvements than that. And more nuanced improvements were happening. Not as quickly as I would have liked, but they were there.

But the phrasing used made me wonder if many on the board were even watching the matches. I'm left wondering how many were just looking at the scores or gambling sites (and their own bets) the following day and little more than that.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
The board sacked the head coach Penney, but the defensive coach Gilmore stays, along with the attack coach Whitaker?
Tell me that is a good decision. How will this improve the Waratahs in all seriousness? The Waratahs have leaked points like no tomorrow and rarely look like scoring a try....Penney should have stayed until the end of the season as there is no one else to take his place......and then replace the whole coaching staff and the Board!!