• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
This was not a system issue, this was Gibson and Hore who completely effed up the roster over a number of years. This was poor coaching/recruitment and management from an incompetent coach and CEO who then bailed out when the damage was complete. All those bagging NSW and the NSW system are missing the real villains.

Years of wrecking will take years to repair.

It's funny how at the time I continuously pointed out that both Hore and Gibson were problems and was repeatedly shouted down. Posters said there were no one else available to sign, we made one finals appearance blah blah blah and now apparently they can now be blamed for current failures.

These two caused many problems but the problem is they weren't the only ones.

Tim Rapp was signing rubbish and instead of helping to recruit where we needed he brought in an expensive league forward to play centre.

The board approved everything Hore and Gibson did and kept re-signing Gibson.

Lack of decent recruitment and retention and struggles to sign what the Tahs needed was signed off on over and over without question.

Talent identification has been seriously lacking for years

Profits made over the years have disappeared.

Assistant coaches that were not up to standard.

The list goes on

Now is the time to recruit what we need but problem is without a head coach players will be hesitant to sign

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Yeh Gilmore as defence coach has to be held to account but I also don’t want him publicly crucified as u20s shown he is good coach but Tahs experience maybe not ready for next level. I like RA approach of not throwing coach’s to scrap heap as just because not ready today does not mean they won’t be a top pro coach in years ahead with more experience. Hence Gilmore worthy of being retained in RA coaching system to continue his development. As in fairness Tahs a mess and not easy for a senior coach let alone a more junior coach early in his coaching career.
This is a very sensible comment. The roster due to poor management previously, has had a big impact. The team is quite bonded and just need time. Brad Thorn has shown this as he easily could have been cast aside early on due to a poor win record. No easy answer for any coach. A few key signings would definitely help though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He was signed by the Storm for the remainder of the season, doesn’t have time to waste. Good on him

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I was hoping he was better than he was. Thought he might straighten up our attack and set a good attacking platform. He was willing, just needed the 10 metres that league affords to build up a head of steam and as others rightly pointed out, it was like having your THP marking their inside centre all game. Once Perese came back from his suspension the writing was on the wall.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
not for a 31 year old trouble maker

I 100% agree he is not worth it in our game, I just thought the tahs had a bit of room in their cap.

I think on him being a 'trouble maker' yeah be mucked up fair bit but he seems to have sorted his life out & been pretty good for the past 6-7 years. He did his time.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I 100% agree he is not worth it in our game, I just thought the tahs had a bit of room in their cap.

I think on him being a 'trouble maker' yeah be mucked up fair bit but he seems to have sorted his life out & been pretty good for the past 6-7 years. He did his time.

On a serious note, his skillset is not overly transferable or valuable in Union - his primary attribute as a winger is a strong carry that he provides early in sets to get his team momentum, and is okay at finishing in limited space (all wingers in league are good at this now though to be fair)

He's not overly skilled, wouldn't have a kicking game and isn't the threatening ball-runner he was at times when he was younger - no Union team should be willing to throw more than 200-300k at year at him - I sometimes don't understand how league players at the end of their careers get the massive Union deals.