• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You think he can recruit his way to success at this level?

good luck with that
Well, they have some money. Recruiting nous has generally been as big an issue, so who they find and from where will be key. They certainly should be able to improve the squad to some degree.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Three players; A tight head prop, a lock and a wing. These must be experienced players, and at the least of Super rugby standard (and I mean genuinely of that standard). The two forwards must be strong at the set piece, the wing can defend and get to the tryline. I don't care if they're foreign or Aus, and it doesn't matter if they're 30.
If Coleman is the goods, add Hooper and Gordon to that experienced trio, then I think there is enough quality in the youth we have there to really build something over three years (and yes, I am an optimist).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Three players; A tight head prop, a lock and a wing. These must be experienced players, and at the least of Super rugby standard (and I mean genuinely of that standard). The two forwards must be strong at the set piece, the wing can defend and get to the tryline. I don't care if they're foreign or Aus, and it doesn't matter if they're 30.
If Coleman is the goods, add Hooper and Gordon to that experienced trio, then I think there is enough quality in the youth we have there to really build something over three years (and yes, I am an optimist).
I am waiting to see who is defensive coach as whoever they appoint has there work cut out

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hopefully it's enough to keep them happy while RA gets the NRC going again.

Having Coleman have some street cred in shute shield circles could indeed be extra positive if Nzru does not stuff it up. Who does Coleman report to again by the way - Doon isn’t it?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
given the underspend this year, improvement is a given.
but that low bar is a long way from success.

How do you define "success" here? Over-expectations on Coleman would seem counterproductive. The guys will need time and it's hard to think that he won't be learning on the job, at least a little.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Measure of success would surely just be an improvement on previous results, this involves been more competitive in games they lose and picking up a few wins. I still think they’ll be the bottom tier on the table in 2022 with the Rebels, just depends on recruitment/retention between now and 2022.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Success for 2022 probably revolves more around how the side is playing rather than actual win/loss stats, and particularly you would want to see a huge improvement in defence, and just occassionally closing out the close games, all of which we lost on 2021.
In straight win/loss, say three wins against Aus sides and one against a kiwi side, while not setting the bar very high, would be a big step forward from this year.
The other thing, of course, is to see continual improvement in most of these 20 and 21 year olds.

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Timu retiring at 27 - what is that about - maybe worth looking into Mr Coleman as would not be a bad signing.

He'd be a good signing for a few teams, but he's not really what the tahs need at the moment. Hooper, Harris, Warren-Vosayaco, Hanigan and Swinton, with at least one of Gamble and Tizzano to be resigned seems like plenty of back row talent.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
From who we have confirmed signed on for next year, starting XV could look something like this...

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Williams
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco
9. Gordon
10.Donaldson/Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Newsome
15. Harrison/Donaldson

Back row, halves and centre pairing all good enough. Probably need to sign TH prop, second rower and an outside back to have a very competitive team.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
From who we have confirmed signed on for next year, starting XV could look something like this.

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Williams
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco
9. Gordon
10.Donaldson/Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Newsome
15. Harrison/Donaldson

Back row, halves and centre pairing all good enough. Probably need to sign TH prop, second rower and an outside back to have a very competitive team.

I don't think Donaldson is confirmed yet is he?

In fact I think a few of those players are off contract at the moment - Williams, Foketi and Newsome also appear to be off contract.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

In fact I think a few of those players are off contract at the moment - Williams, Foketi and Newsome also appear to be off contract.

If they are off contract, the Tahs should be trying to get them back on contract. At the worst it would save them trying to find someone new to fill their role.

At the moment that doesn't look too bad (yeah that line again). Maybe some consistency with the line up between seasons may help to lift their game

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)

Newsome and Foketi definitely signed for 2022. Unsure about Williams and Donaldson

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Having Coleman have some street cred in shute shield circles could indeed be extra positive if Nzru does not stuff it up. Who does Coleman report to again by the way - Doon isn’t it?

:D I know you really mean the NSWRU, but you so used to blamimng NZRU for all of rugby's woes , but ;):p

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How do you define "success" here? Over-expectations on Coleman would seem counterproductive. The guys will need time and it's hard to think that he won't be learning on the job, at least a little.
Success is being one of the strongest Oz franchises.

success is not taking a shell of a squad, adding a stack of experienced players and winning a handful of games.

Edit: the latter might be an acceptable milestone next year, on the way to being successful.