• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interested by this line from Coleman regarding the signing of development player Tuipolotu at THP

“We had some unforeseen personnel losses at prop and needed to strengthen our squad in that area,” Coleman said.

Who have they lost? Tatola, Fifita and Breen all played at THP for them I think - ARE there stories behind their departures beyond 'they were dropped'?

For THP
- the incumbent is HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes),
- the journeyman is Ruan Smith
- the newly promoted is Tauakipulu
- the WTS is Archie Holz
Yes was wondering who lost at prop…but other bit of release I liked was pushing the 2 new players to western Sydney Shute shield clubs ie west harbour and two blues. Looks like they are starting to take the need to support western Sydney Shute shield Clubs better. That aspect at least pleasing to see.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I read the western Sydney comment as the Two Blues providing support to recruit him. I.e. Tahs recruit him in the WTS and Two Blues sponsor kicks in with a job for old mate to work around his training.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gee when you sign a new coach on the basis of his knowledge and contacts in the Shute Shield and you still have to sign kiwis, perhaps it’s a sign the SS isn’t the answer to all Australian Rugby’s answers?
Like All Black Angus Ta’avo?

Reg has re-charged his Troll-o-meter with a nice holiday break, probably in NSW.

giphy.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I read the western Sydney comment as the Two Blues providing support to recruit him. I.e. Tahs recruit him in the WTS and Two Blues sponsor kicks in with a job for old mate to work around his training.
Yeh they did talk about two blues working with tahs to recruit him. Regardless tahs must continue to push players recruited outside of NSW or league to western Sydney clubs and/ or other clubs needing support. As Ruan smith aligned with hunter wildfires and the league recruit also aligned with two blues from memory. Anyhow lot more work to do for western Sydney strategy etc but it is a start.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I went out to the Two Blues new facility, it’s first rate and It deserves a quality team, so agree it’s good to see new Tahs recruiting heading out the M4

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Lots of (good) jokes about the tahs previous failures with imported locks, but looking at the squad Coleman started with Cridge might be his best signing for this season. Make of that what you will.

Alex Ross (28)
Lots of (good) jokes about the tahs previous failures with imported locks, but looking at the squad Coleman started with Cridge might be his best signing for this season. Make of that what you will.
I think Ruan Smith as reserve TH is the most astute. Not to mention getting Hanigan and Holloway back.
Cridge, with a few years at the Hurricanes and only one game to show for it, really feels like a bottom of the barrel signing. I hope I’m wrong.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think Ruan Smith as reserve TH is the most astute. Not to mention getting Hanigan and Holloway back.
Cridge, with a few years at the Hurricanes and only one game to show for it, really feels like a bottom of the barrel signing. I hope I’m wrong.
Ruan is the other potential one - going in Lock, Tight Head and Fullback were the weakest positions and those are the two guys they've signed in those positions. I rate him, but I do wonder if there'll be enough of a scrum around him for him to play his best game. A real lock option like Cridge should hopefully help that.

On the others, the season (or at least the waratahs' one) will be just about done by the time Hanigan arrives and Holloway is solid, but back row was one of the tahs' strongest positions already. Holloway does cover lock to a degree, but the real need is for at least one genuine lock, and Cridge could actually be that. Admittedly he also be a dud.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interested in Tahs' fans' views on the fullback spot. It was a weakness for the Tahs in recent years as Wilson points out, and without Maddocks it is looking even more dire. Was any approach made to Mack Hansen before he left for Ireland? Super rugby proven performer (stole a match from the Tahs on full time with a penalty goal iirc) but behind the incumbent Wallaby 15 at the Brumbies so off overseas where he is now part of the Irish test squad. Missed opportunity in my eyes.

Alex Ross (28)
Interested in Tahs' fans' views on the fullback spot. It was a weakness for the Tahs in recent years as Wilson points out, and without Maddocks it is looking even more dire. Was any approach made to Mack Hansen before he left for Ireland? Super rugby proven performer (stole a match from the Tahs on full time with a penalty goal iirc) but behind the incumbent Wallaby 15 at the Brumbies so off overseas where he is now part of the Irish test squad. Missed opportunity in my eyes.
I want Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) to be given a decent stint there. Alternatively Ramm or even I think if Donaldson is at 10, then Harrison could play a DMac style 15. He’s at his best playmaking from a bit deeper while I like Donaldson’s flatter and calmer approach for most of the game at 10. He fast around the ground and great at support running. Also his one on one tackling in open field is pretty good too.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I doubt that anybody would really know?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Both Harrison played 10 and 15 and shared the roles at club level, schoolboys. Whoever gets nod at 10, the other should be 15 imo. My guess is Harrison 10 Donaldson 15 Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) on wing and Edmed cover off the bench

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I just assume despite their reputation they have no money?

No one goes to games. They haven't had a home stadium in a few years.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Perhaps, but also a missed opportunity for the Wallabies as we're hardly strong in that position. If they saw his potential then they could have given him a contract. Otherwise we couldn't offer the equivalent contract he got in Ireland

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I understand the support for Harrison and Donaldson as both are promising young players who have come up through the U20s. Hansen did exactly the same but is a little older and more experienced. I just have a thought that the Tahs and to some extent the Reds are very insular in their view of the world. If someone of promise comes through one of the lesser franchises, they seem to be ignored by the two biggest who have a preference for picking from their own State club competition. I know there are exceptions, eg Tizzano, but they seem to be few and far between.

A bit more interest from the two bigger sides and we might just keep a few more of our up and coming talent at home.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I understand the support for Harrison and Donaldson as both are promising young players who have come up through the U20s.

I don't.

The U20 "promise" balances on them being picked for performances as pups.

Because we don't have anything resembling a decent club competition* in Australia, the Golden Shower boys enter our pro ranks, and the guys who mature later fuck off overseas and carve out a very nice living off it.

*Due to decades of mismanagement and a stark lack of facing the obvious.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I understand the support for Harrison and Donaldson as both are promising young players who have come up through the U20s. Hansen did exactly the same but is a little older and more experienced. I just have a thought that the Tahs and to some extent the Reds are very insular in their view of the world. If someone of promise comes through one of the lesser franchises, they seem to be ignored by the two biggest who have a preference for picking from their own State club competition. I know there are exceptions, eg Tizzano, but they seem to be few and far between.

A bit more interest from the two bigger sides and we might just keep a few more of our up and coming talent at home.
Yep, makes sense. But imagine the outrage when the Tahs pick up a young star from another franchise?