• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agreed. Its a bit fanciful and rather presumptuous. With an international opportunity a possibly reality its a ridiculous suggestion. Better money and a longer season to market himself and get game time;, why would he even contemplate entertaining the thought of an offer that reduces his prospects, let alone to a lower standard Tah's who are in the 22nd edition of a "rebuilding phase".
what’s with the attitude coming up the Hume, did someone from Sydney take a dump in Lake Burley Griffin or something?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
what’s with the attitude coming up the Hume, did someone from Sydney take a dump in Lake Burley Griffin or something?
Yep. It was a bloke in a Tahs jersey. He explained how superior the SS was, went back to looking for players and then floated one in the lake and then left! :eek:

He even parked on BR's new lawn and tore it up!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That’s an excellent addition. If for nothing else his experience and mentorship to the very green group of backs
The force has proved the value of bringing in experienced ex internationals. So I think it is an excellent signing. Pity about Joey Walton though as poor guy had a wretched time with injuries.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Players are going to leave, just like people leave jobs.

We only have five teams, he did not get an offer from one of the Super Rugby sides, OR he decided to go OS.

If he wasn't good enough, didn't take his chances, the coach did not like him, wasn't ready, or did not get a fair go is irrelevant now. Hansen is gone and in the Ireland squad.

Personally, I would never dream of wearing any other colours than the Australian jersey, but good luck to him, and I hope he has a great career.

I am much more concerned about the guys HERE representing our teams and fighting for that gold jersey than everybody else Meh!
Hansen had dual citizenship and I don’t know if would have been in line for the wallabies so good on him taking his opportunities elsewhere.

Reactions: mst

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
2009 Roberts maybe.
We shall see -
I would submit that in 2021, the elder statesmen --Thrush, Holmes and Kearney, performed exceptionally well compared to their counterparts amongst Australian Super Rugby teams. Kearney in particular was IMO, the form Fullback and the Force backline was, as a unit, stronger with his involvement.

I believe that even the 2022 vintage of Jamie Roberts will ADD value to the starting lineup at the Tahs through much needed mass and leadership in a below standard backline.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We shall see -
I would submit that in 2021, the elder statesmen --Thrush, Holmes and Kearney, performed exceptionally well compared to their counterparts amongst Australian Super Rugby teams. Kearney in particular was IMO, the form Fullback and the Force backline was, as a unit, stronger with his involvement.

I believe that even the 2022 vintage of Jamie Roberts will ADD value to the starting lineup at the Tahs through much needed mass and leadership in a below standard backline.

What? That’s a memory of convenience I reckon.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Interested in Tahs' fans' views on the fullback spot. It was a weakness for the Tahs in recent years as Wilson points out, and without Maddocks it is looking even more dire. Was any approach made to Mack Hansen before he left for Ireland? Super rugby proven performer (stole a match from the Tahs on full time with a penalty goal iirc) but behind the incumbent Wallaby 15 at the Brumbies so off overseas where he is now part of the Irish test squad. Missed opportunity in my eyes.
That’s gold. So now its lack of foresight from the Waratahs that Hansen left the Brumbies to go to Ireland

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Good for the Tahs to have someone outside Hooper with significant international experience in the squad even if Roberts is past his prime. Especially in the backs where the playmakers, Harrison, Donaldson, and Edmend, are all still green. Seems like there is quite a positive air amongst the squad, at least as far as you can tell from preseason social media clips put out by the club, but it’s striking how young they all are.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He wouldn’t be in my starting XV. If the young guys need a mentor that bad then it’s a failing of the coaching squad.
Well, he’s replacing Walton who would likely be at best on the bench behind Foketi and Perese. Given they’re trying to replace someone who is not even a starter, then I think Roberts adds more value than a provincial player from Australia or NZ. Yes, the coaching squad are primarily in charge of leadership but it’s not unusual for any sporting team to sign a veteran to help with mentoring the young guys. In many respects, signing someone as bench/squad cover who has a swathe of international experience is good coaching.

That said, I do agree Roberts is not a signing that alone will turn around the Tahs’ fortunes. Still, recent recruitment highlights include the likes of Le Roux Roots so let us Tahs supporters have some joy.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He wouldn’t be in my starting XV. If the young guys need a mentor that bad then it’s a failing of the coaching squad.

How is it a failing of the coaches?

It was obvious to everyone last year that they were a young squad who lost their heads and composure at times, a senior player like this could add value to the team in that regard.