• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Y
Depth and experience in the backs. We need a strong squad not just a great starting lineup.
Coleman to me taking a sensible approach to look at recruitment options outside of Shute shield. Not all these options may make the grade and that comes with the territory. But gees Coleman must also be hoping for nrc mark 3 to help better develop talent in this state in terms of both fringe tahs players and leading Shute shield talent.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Beale returning to Aus, looking like for the ‘Tahs
The thing that makes me cringe most about this is anticipation of all the complaining about him, even if/when he doesn't play a full game and the others in that position aren't an improvement.

Just read in a tweet his Racing92 contract is up at the end of the current season, so it'll be after 4th June he returns. If he can get a contract here. It won't be for this Super Rugby season, but it may make him available for the Wallabies squad this year, if he's up to par.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jamie Robert’s looks almost locked in. Article back up with Coleman’s comments:

“Losing two of our centres in Joey Walton and Mosese Tuipulotu was a big blow as we view them as the future of the side. So, to be able to bring in a player with the experience and talent that Jamie has on an injury coverage contract would be huge for us,” Coleman said.

“Jamie has been playing at a consistently high level with Dragons in Wales this season and would add a really big body for go-forward, and is very sound defensively. He would add vital depth in our midfield and complement the mix of players we currently have.

“Off the field he could also add a lot to the group and our team culture with his professionalism and experience.”

anyone know what happened to Mosese Tuipulotu?

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
had knee surgery mid last year, i hope it's just recovery from that and not a new injury
Hoping he gets a shot when fit as have read some very positive articles on his potential. If not given an opportunity I can see Scotland calling...

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
Potgieter was the best of all time. Nobody special since then, sadly.
yep, dont think his impact is comparable to what jamie roberts will bring, as in was exactly what team needed. biggest name though! still steaming at joubert carding JP in the semi against landers.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Last year we lacked leadership. Players of middle experience like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Gordon were put into senior roles. The Force on the other hand benefitted from having some wise older heads, leaving players like Godwin to focus on their games instead of guiding rookie pros through a tough season. As an injury replacement, I think Roberts is a great signing.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ideally Roberts doesn't actually play much, and is just there as injury cover off the bench. But in the event he is required as injury cover then he is a nice experienced head to bring in.

There's a fine line between giving young kids experience and playing them before they're ready, throw them in too early and it could be damaging to their confidence and development. I think too much was expected of guys like Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) last year, he would have benefited from game time off the bench rather then into the starting team.

Alex Ross (28)
Ideally Roberts doesn't actually play much, and is just there as injury cover off the bench. But in the event he is required as injury cover then he is a nice experienced head to bring in.

There's a fine line between giving young kids experience and playing them before they're ready, throw them in too early and it could be damaging to their confidence and development. I think too much was expected of guys like Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) last year, he would have benefited from game time off the bench rather then into the starting team.
Your second paragraph is quite contradictory to the first. I think having Roberts alongside the young 10’s we have at the start of the game is a good thing. If he’s not starting, then it is likely that Foketi or Newsome is the 22. They aren’t the guys needing to be introduced slowly off the bench. The inside backs who could use that kind of intro are the ones in the injury ward.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Your second paragraph is quite contradictory to the first. I think having Roberts alongside the young 10’s we have at the start of the game is a good thing. If he’s not starting, then it is likely that Foketi or Newsome is the 22. They aren’t the guys needing to be introduced slowly off the bench. The inside backs who could use that kind of intro are the ones in the injury ward.

Is it contradictory?
I'm saying he shouldn't play too much unless there's injuries, i think guys like Perese/Foketi/Newsome are mature/good enough to be starters, and if they're fit then Roberts is on the bench, or outside the 23. If there are injuries to those guys, then i think he is a more appropriate player to fill-in rather then some 18/19/20 year old rookie. Which happened last year

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I do wonder if there's not more value in relocating Glen Vaihu from the Rebels? He doesn't appear to be in their main squad and is there more value for Australian rugby to get him more game time with the Tahs over the mentoring role that Roberts will play?

Obviously this would be done via the magical RA Central Player Management that we will slide so easily into.

Last edited: