• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Very impressed so far, I know it is only a trial game but the boys are playing well!!!

Also Harvey Nirman back as a sponsor for super rugby

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Number 6 Gleeson? Great find, from QLD I think. Also, that number the 12 that came on the second half

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Will Harrison out for the first few weeks of the super rugby season with a shoulder injury. Donaldson will be 10 you’d thing. Need to find a 15 now.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not many out and out fullbacks in the squad aside from Max Burey, who has been very good for Norths in the last few years, but a tough ask to walk straight into a starting Super gig. Ditto for Harry Wilson who has also played some 15 for Eastwood. That likely means they play a winger there, Ramm and Turner can both kick, or they play Edmend at 10 with Donaldson at fullback.

Ramm was a bit shaky at 15 on the weekend and Turner is green. I think Edmend at 10 with Donaldson at fullback is probably the safest bet.

Alex Ross (28)
Not many out and out fullbacks in the squad aside from Max Burey, who has been very good for Norths in the last few years, but a tough ask to walk straight into a starting Super gig. Ditto for Harry Wilson who has also played some 15 for Eastwood. That likely means they play a winger there, Ramm and Turner can both kick, or they play Edmend at 10 with Donaldson at fullback.

Ramm was a bit shaky at 15 on the weekend and Turner is green. I think Edmend at 10 with Donaldson at fullback is probably the safest bet.
Marky deserves a run imo. He looked better than Maddocks last year in patches. He just needs a chance. Edmed is not ready to lead at 10

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Will Harrison out for the first few weeks of the super rugby season with a shoulder injury. Donaldson will be 10 you’d thing. Need to find a 15 now.
Donaldson will make the 10 jersey his own this season with Ramm or Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) at 15. Hopefully Harrison is back soon but he was shaping up as the fullback until his injury. Edmed will be cover at 10 and 12.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Marky deserves a run imo. He looked better than Maddocks last year in patches. He just needs a chance. Edmed is not ready to lead at 10

He's a little like Petaia. High expectations and the appearance of being able to achieve it, but in retrospect might have had a better introduction into Super. I hope he comes good. He can be electric.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He's a little like Petaia. High expectations and the appearance of being able to achieve it, but in retrospect might have had a better introduction into Super. I hope he comes good. He can be electric.
Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) defence well below par when on the wing. Maybe at fullback he may offer more. But it his defensive frailties that put question marks over whether deserves to be in the starting line up.

I agree though Donaldson best to start at 10.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Donaldson is better at 10 than Harrison IMHO.

I like Donaldson more at 10 but equally Harrison has performed well so maybe less clear cut for me. Might be a case of working out how to accomodate both in starting line up. Nice problem to have as both still young and have some improvement in them.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Donaldson is better at attacking the line himself, he seems to be able to find/make the gaps better where as Harrison tends to get swallowed up. But overall I prefer Harrison. His shoulder injury in the final minutes of the last trial puts Donaldson square in the 10 spot and it'll be tough for Harrison to re-claim it.

Even last year Harrison was dropping back to 15 a few times for others to come in at 10, before his injury. So I was expecting that to continue in 2022.

Ramm last season wasn't as good as the season before, but he was still OK on the wing. Nawaqanitawase had a great start to Super Rugby but has since been a shadow of himself. His performance in the trial didn't help. Nor did the performances of James Tuner and Tevita Funa both of whom impressed me. There's a lot of jokes & comments about Marky's insta photos, but they're mostly vanity muscles. What we really need to see is him finding his performance & abilities in attack again, while building defensive skills. Really hoping we see more from Mark in the next two trials, but if we don't, I'd be leaning towards having others in the squad ahead of him.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) has the most potential out of everyone at the Tahs, I would not read too much into the trial game or the one coming up this weekend. It will be the trial against the Reds which will tell us where we are, as I imagine it will be a full-strength Reds team.

Having said this well done to the boys, beating the Brumbies it's always a plus for me :)