• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Playing a broken record, but Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is just the type of player who needs the NRC - he's a standout at Shute Shield level (and U20s), but trying to learn defence and decision-making at Super Rugby level is just rough.

It's ludicrous to suggest he shouldn't be in the squad, if the system was working properly, he'd be getting plenty of time at NRC level, and time off the bench for the Tahs to understand what happens at the next level.

I agree he should be there, and 1000% agree he would be a huge beneficiary of NRC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Meaning Maddocks isn’t very talented aerially either

So you think what Folau did in the air is comparable to what Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) can do?

No, Maddocks is not talented in the air. You just said that Nawaqanitawase was only good because of his height and not because he was skillful or talented in that area.

He is clearly nowhere near as good as Folau but likewise no one else has come close either. Based on your previous position this would be because is his height and not his skill or talent.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
No, Maddocks is not talented in the air. You just said that Nawaqanitawase was only good because of his height and not because he was skillful or talented in that area.

He is clearly nowhere near as good as Folau but likewise no one else has come close either. Based on your previous position this would be because is his height and not his skill or talent.

Yea meaning Maddocks is really fucking bad in the air. Maddocks being crap in the air and Mark being better than him doesn’t equate to Mark being talented at something

Putting words in my mouth, you can be tall and talented in the air. The two aren’t mutually exclusive

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Honestly, for all his mistakes and misreads in defence, if memory serves me correctly, against the chiefs he was one of only a few players that they struggled to handle. NRC, 7s, club rugby, whatever, get him playing more, raise his rugby IQ. Or do we throw him on the trash heap because his rugby smarts aren’t up to scratch yet and put our money on a player like Newsome, who is a smarter player, but will never unlock an oppositions defence? The Waratahs have a history of shunning players who go elsewhere and prove them wrong. 7s seems a good option to get him up to speed, there are a lot more decisions to be made, he’ll learn pretty quick when the right time to offload, recycle, tackle, trust his inside man. Because a 7s player is constantly in the play he will hopefully learn not to overplay his hand instead of wanting to make every involvement a BIG play

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't think anyone is defending Mark Nawaqanitawe's defence, but he is at least partly the victim of a terrible defensive strategy from the Tahs this year. The structure was built around rushing in before the ball could go wide, which meant constantly being overlapped. As a consequence, whoever is on the wing is constantly having to make desperate chases to tackle the opposition wingers. Remember the last game where Wainui scored five tries? He was unmarked every time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think its utterly ridiculous to suggest someone who makes it through to U20s and to debut at Super Rugby at 19years old isn’t talented, no one is saying he is a superstar or a polished product but the kid has obvious talent besides just natural height, and he demonstrated it again this week playing 7’s.

It’s not his fault the NRC no longer exists or he was thrown into a dysfunctional backline.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think its utterly ridiculous to suggest someone who makes it through to U20s and to debut at Super Rugby at 19years old isn’t talented, no one is saying he is a superstar or a polished product but the kid has obvious talent besides just natural height, and he demonstrated it again this week playing 7’s.
I think 7s may suit him more short term

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Yes, the defensive structure was shit, but that doesn't excuse Mark N (Nawaqanitawase). Just watch him closely, he deliberately puts himself out of the way of having to make a tackle, and when he can't avoid it, he moves his body out of the way and uses his arms. Sorry, you're not going to convince me.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

It’s not his fault the NRC no longer exists or he was thrown into a dysfunctional backline.

Classic Adam response

Also what did he prove this weekend? He didn’t really stand out at all, not that he should’ve given it was his first crack. Just curious what you saw

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Classic Adam response

Also what did he prove this weekend? He didn’t really stand out at all, not that he should’ve given it was his first crack. Just curious what you saw
Players don't make U-20s Wallabies teams because they're tall with zero skill.
You keep shit-canning the player (for reasons that seem obscure to most) when really this is a failing of the rubbish systems within Rugby in NSW particularly, and Australia generally.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
In an ideal world there are a whole group of these guys who would be playing lots of Shute Shield, NRC and getting the odd dose of Super Rugby.

I think its actually a wonderful endorsement of this current generation that some of them are doing so well, but it doesn’t surprise me that some of them are struggling. The reality is that some of them will never make the jump but some of them will be fine with a year or two more experience under their belt.

Nawaqanitawase has some way to go but I don’t think he is doing too bad.

One thing I don’t get is the accusation that guys like Nawaqanitawase and others are completely adverse to contact. Sure, not everyone lives for contact like some, and I’m not saying he doesn’t need improvement, but these guys would be doing a tonne of contact work at training. Players who completely shirk it would be cut loose pretty quick. And I can’t imagine either the coaches or fellow players would cut much slack to the guys who need improvement. If anything I’d think guys who need work would be getting plenty of extras.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You keep shit-canning the player (for reasons that seem obscure to most) when really this is a failing of the rubbish systems within Rugby in NSW particularly, and Australia generally.

I think he just doesn’t like me and wants to argue because I said the player has talent

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

I’d refer back to my original post where I said I don’t think he’s particularly talented - instead of the paraphrasing by Adam

I stand by that

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just another shit stir, like you do every time. Always gotta have a little side dig
And you weren’t taking a dig earlier? Mate take a look in the mirror.
I don’t remember what I did to annoy you but it’s the 2nd time in as many days you’ve had a crack at me over a disagreement, and then claim I’m shit sitting you when I respond. It’s a bit silly

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
If they clear out the development, pathway team or whatever the hell they call themselves at the Waratahs that will be a bloody good start. If the new team want to keep Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) maybe they see something the public can’t see at the moment, well at least myself and some others can’t see.
At the moment I think they are hanging on to some players and double down on them to cover their incompetence in relation to talent identification and development.
Just remember if you look up incompetence up in a Thesaurus, you will get Waratahs Management as a suggestion.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
If they clear out the development, pathway team or whatever the hell they call themselves at the Waratahs that will be a bloody good start. If the new team want to keep Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) maybe they see something the public can’t see at the moment, well at least myself and some others can’t see.
At the moment I think they are hanging on to some players and double down on them to cover their incompetence in relation to talent identification and development.
Just remember if you look up incompetence up in a Thesaurus, you will get Waratahs Management as a suggestion.

I'll say this about Nawaqanitiwase. He was so good in Under 20s that every team in Australia would have offered him a contract. He was a great prospect. He's regressed in Super Rugby though, like everyone else at the Tahs this year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Seating design for the new SFS, at least its in Waratah colours
c826e142-5618-4d4d-861f-02a95baf7dcd-jpeg.1697681

6f118323-6642-441b-ae4a-3063c59f1294-jpeg.1697686

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So Coleman is more likely than not signed on as coach (assuming he is offered the 3 years he should be), but what about the talk of a new, experienced director of rugby?

Harlequins have just won the premiership with Australian Billy Millard in the General Manager role, with the head coach having been sacked in January - there's a bit of detail of their setup here. He's putting together a very strong resume, with particular experience around academies and talent development. Looks like he'd be a bloody good fit, if the tahs can get him. That said, it seems like a tricky prospect recruiting for a DoR after a head coach, and they'd likely have a fight on their hands to pull him away from Harlequins. Would be great to see his experience brought back into Australian rugby though

Any other rumoured contenders?