• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Ben Marr or Tim Clements would be options worth looking at for 15, both are match winners
James Turner and Alex Newsome are Shute Shield guns - thriving in a fully professional competition is a different proposition to dominating semi- pros.

There's also the harsh reality that if you're an outside back and haven't been snapped up by a professional outfit in your very early 20s - you're probably not that good (it's different for other positions).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For no.8, I'd suggest the 170kg Jordan Mailata who has a league background.
Not sure we could afford the $100 million he's currently getting for playing left tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles.
saw that on the news last night, the long shot with the reporter was crazy, the bloke is ginormous.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
Tevita Funa from the Sea Eagles joining the tahs on a one year deal per the tele. Kept out of first grade by two superior players (Saab and Garrick) but actually an exciting signing, expect him to cover 11,13,14,15.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Has he any Rugby experience?
It would appear not, although his wiki bio is pretty thin. He probably isn’t costing much, I don’t think its an exciting signing, but outside back would be the most synergistic with loig so not really fussed either way. Probably worth keeping an eye on him without expecting him to be penned into the starting side any time soon.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
James Turner and Alex Newsome are Shute Shield guns - thriving in a fully professional competition is a different proposition to dominating semi- pros.

There's also the harsh reality that if you're an outside back and haven't been snapped up by a professional outfit in your very early 20s - you're probably not that good (it's different for other positions).
Turner and Newsome guns? Thats stretching it a bit. Just because they arent in the right camp or have the right manager doesnt mean these guys shouldnt be looked at. Or do we continue to search in loig or nz for the next "big thing". Harrison, donaldson, pietsch when back in shute shield certainly were not "guns" over the past 2 years when they have played. But thats ok we all have an opinion.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Tevita Funa from the Sea Eagles joining the tahs on a one year deal per the tele. Kept out of first grade by two superior players (Saab and Garrick) but actually an exciting signing, expect him to cover 11,13,14,15.
Looks like a good pickup. Tolu Koula and Kaeo Weeks are the two at Manly I'd like to see them target. Both played at Newington, Australian Schoolboys and are sub-11.00 100m runners, with Tolu holding the GPS record at 10.58.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
His "highlights" from NSW Cup has him playing centre

His Manly bio
Tevita is a terrific attacking player with plenty of speed who is equally at home at full-back, wing, and centre.

A quality goal-kicker, Tevita was one of the standout players in Manly winning the U20s premiership in 2017.

Tevita was a popular winner of the Club's Rookie of the Year award in 2020 after scoring five tries in 12 games following his fine NRL debut against Brisbane in June.

Off the field, Tevita is studying a Diploma of Leadership.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hmm not sold on this signing, reading the NRL forums he isn’t rated highly at all and his ‘highlights’ are underwhelming, I think the Force signing Daniel Ala from the same NRL team is a much better signing.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Looks like a good pickup. Tolu Koula and Kaeo Weeks are the two at Manly I'd like to see them target. Both played at Newington, Australian Schoolboys and are sub-11.00 100m runners, with Tolu holding the GPS record at 10.58.
I thought Dylan Pietsch would be the GPS record-holder??

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

well the tahs must have the money as assume they must be under the salary cap although hooper and Hanigan have taken a chunk of it

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hmm not sold on this signing, reading the NRL forums he isn’t rated highly at all and his ‘highlights’ are underwhelming, I think the Force signing Daniel Ala from the same NRL team is a much better signing.
I don't think he was a major investment

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, Funa isn't a Vunivalu or Koroibete level signing but, to be fair, he actually was getting games for Manly before Saab came across from St George. He'll be an improvement on Newsome.

They've also played a very limited amount of NSW Cup these past two years and might be why his highlights look a bit thin.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
A lot Newsome hate I don't quite understand, he has been a quality player for us in the past and only turned 26 this year so still not in his prime. Has all the skills and a great knack of scoring tries, could easily develop into a similar winger to Andrew Kellaway IMO