• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He isn't. He didn't run the opens race in his final year. Kings had a very good athlete that year who almost beat the record.

Tolu smashed it two years ago.
Sarcasm mate - in response to another poster who claimed Pietsch ran the 100m is in the mid-10s.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
A lot Newsome hate I don't quite understand, he has been a quality player for us in the past and only turned 26 this year so still not in his prime. Has all the skills and a great knack of scoring tries, could easily develop into a similar winger to Andrew Kellaway IMO
When has Newsome ever been a quality, as opposed to adequate, player?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A lot Newsome hate I don't quite understand, he has been a quality player for us in the past and only turned 26 this year so still not in his prime. Has all the skills and a great knack of scoring tries, could easily develop into a similar winger to Andrew Kellaway IMO
:confused:

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
When has Newsome ever been a quality, as opposed to adequate, player?

This sort of thinking has led us to the problem we find ourselves in this year, turfing players or them leaving on their own accord before they hit their peak (ages 27-31) which left us with youngsters or washed up veterans in 2021. I agree Newsome didn't have his best season this year but hard to blame him when he was playing on the wing behind a pack that got decimated week in week out.

FWIW Newsome is the last player we have remaining from the starting side who led at halftime against the Lions in our last knockout match Super Rugby semi-final in 2018, worth pursuing with for his experience alone

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Newsome isn't fast enough, big enough or evasive enough for Super Rugby. I can't think of any tries he scored that weren't ones that any winger could have done. He's also always in the wrong place in defence.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I see Newsome as a pretty solid Super rugby player. He will never be a Wallaby, but the reality is a lot of Super level players won't be. He's had some pretty good games for the Tahs, and a few ordinary ones. We may well get two better wings, which would be great, but Newsome is the sort of player that's good to have in the squad, and can cover 11, 13, 14 and 15 without letting you down.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I see Newsome as a pretty solid Super rugby player. He will never be a Wallaby, but the reality is a lot of Super level players won't be. He's had some pretty good games for the Tahs, and a few ordinary ones. We may well get two better wings, which would be great, but Newsome is the sort of player that's good to have in the squad, and can cover 11, 13, 14 and 15 without letting you down.
So really he should be considered a depth player - the Waratahs should be aiming to develop a squad where there is no need for Newsome in the 15 (or ideally 23) - depth player doesn't scream 'quality'.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Newsome should get a spot in the 23. I’d play him from the bench as a 11-15 sub. He’s a pretty smart footballer who could play multiple roles in the backline (kind of like Hodge for the wallabies). If we went with a 5-3 bench His adaptability could free up a bench spot for a more x-factor backline player like a winger or inside back.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Newsome should get a spot in the 23. I’d play him from the bench as a 11-15 sub. He’s a pretty smart footballer who could play multiple roles in the backline (kind of like Hodge for the wallabies). If we went with a 5-3 bench His adaptability could free up a bench spot for a more x-factor backline player like a winger or inside back.
Yep I am ok with Newsome as a sub as covers centres and wing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)