• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am going to try and be objective here and adopt a wait and see for tahs. It has been a shambles in recent years but maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel and way forward.

We have hooper and hanigan back from Japan, appointment of Coleman, and other developments to look forward to. Key one is remind me when the tahs will have sfs rebuilt and ready for them as their home ground. Not having a home ground during this tumultuous period has certainly added to the pain and disconnect with fans…

from many years of experience during the Reds dark years, any time I thought “it can’t get worse”, well it was just a lack of imagination on my part.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
from many years of experience during the Reds dark years, any time I thought “it can’t get worse”, well it was just a lack of imagination on my part.
1632457213641.png

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Your suggesting they have a strategy - how is that western Sydney strategy also going I wonder
I don't think they had a strategy, there may have been a line in a PowerPoint slide about "improved engagement" but ......................... nothing really, just platitudes

In retrospect they had the perfect opportunity to drive Western Sydney by moving all the games to Parra Stadium while Sydney was built, instead no one knows where they are playing next

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think they had a strategy, there may have been a line in a PowerPoint slide about "improved engagement" but ......................... nothing really, just platitudes

In retrospect they had the perfect opportunity to drive Western Sydney by moving all the games to Parra Stadium while Sydney was built, instead no one knows where they are playing next
I think the western Sydney issue is in the too hard basket for nswru and tahs so hence they do nothing about it. That is why for me something like the investment in the western Sydney Grr side made sense to me as have a team, organisation and investment focussed 100% on western Sydney and hence such a missed opportunity.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wow. Another thread complaining about the management of an organisation. Can we maybe seperate the threads from team news/ discussions and historical unhappiness with an organisation? FFS this is the Waratahs 2022 page. New head coach, new GM of rugby, new assistant coach all with club rugby ties.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wow. Another thread complaining about the management of an organisation. Can we maybe seperate the threads from team news/ discussions and historical unhappiness with an organisation? FFS this is the Waratahs 2022 page. New head coach, new GM of rugby, new assistant coach all with club rugby ties.

For Christ's sake, you want a "good news" thread? The concerns over western Sydney and management of the Waratahs are valid and completely on scope here.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It depends on whether the plan is to try to consolidate the current market or to develop a new market

I got the feeling that the consolidation piece was attempted a few years ago when they signed an agreement to play everything with the SCG Trust.

Results on the field are always going to trump whatever happens off the field. And it's a shame that the best stadium in Sydney is in one of the least desirable locations for "rugby people".

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
all with club rugby ties.

A double-edged sword, and razor sharp with it. Understand that SRU are their own entity and the relationship with the Tahs and NSWRU is of questionable stability or purpose.

Certainly we have club rugby to thank for a lack of coach and player development, a competition with a very slim profile as far as competitiveness goes, and a lack of vision as to the future of rugby in NSW and Australia.

At least Coleman came through the systems, and hopefully the performances during his tenure are good enough to set us up for some good years.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Regarding the Whetton thing: he's still listed in the squad (https://nsw.rugby/teams/nsw-waratahs) so I'm not even sure they're updating their pages correctly. Certainly the player information is scant, and I question if they're using the off season effectively to "Reset" for 2022.

These rosters should be constantly updated, photos added, and profiles fleshed out. Keep the fans interested.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I guess there’s different pros and cons, and we don’t know the break down if the finances/memberships/sponsorships etc

One option I though is they should spent the season playing out at Parra Stadium. For existing members based in the eastern suburbs they could have been provided a free membership option. Something like claiming your free ticket online each week if you wished to attend, as we know most eastern suburbs fans wouldn’t but it would have maintained engagement and established a bit of good will between.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I got the feeling that the consolidation piece was attempted a few years ago when they signed an agreement to play everything with the SCG Trust.

Results on the field are always going to trump whatever happens off the field. And it's a shame that the best stadium in Sydney is in one of the least desirable locations for "rugby people".

The crazy thing is, I live about 12km from the SFS

It is quicker & easier now for me to get in and out from Parra despite it being 25km away (parking, the walk etc)

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Regarding the Whetton thing: he's still listed in the squad (https://nsw.rugby/teams/nsw-waratahs) so I'm not even sure they're updating their pages correctly. Certainly the player information is scant, and I question if they're using the off season effectively to "Reset" for 2022.

These rosters should be constantly updated, photos added, and profiles fleshed out. Keep the fans interested.

Whetton is on a 2 year deal so yes he would still be listed in the squad.

Tahs can't afford to pay out contracts to offload people.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The crazy thing is, I live about 12km from the SFS

It is quicker & easier now for me to get in and out from Parra despite it being 25km away (parking, the walk etc)

SFS was a shit to attend until they built the light rail. Now I can Metro/Train/Tram practically to the doorstep.

And the silly bastards aren't even putting the Parramatta Light Rail up O'Connell street.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Whetton is on a 2 year deal so yes he would still be listed in the squad.

Tahs can't afford to pay out contracts to offload people.

They saved a shitload from last year and would have been mad to put Whetton on more than a retainer.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Anyone the Brumbies punt should be looked at very closely before signing them to more than 1 year.