• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
So no Sam Caird nor Carlo Tizzano
That's a real shame. I thought he had real potential and a bit of starch about him and was the starting #7 for a fair bit of last year. Haven't seen him picked up by the Force yet so he seems to be in limbo.
Tahs have plenty of wing options?
But not enough good ones. Newsome has reached his ceiling and Nawanqanitawase can't defend consistently.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
not sure how accurate that is considering Dylan Pietsch was signed lot long ago?

Yeah, it does suggest some interesting selection dilemmas, in the centres particularity how do you fit in Foketi, Perese & Walton? and the backrow, Hooper, Swinton, Warren-Vosayaco, Harris, Sinclair, Holloway, Hanigan ......................

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah, it does suggest some interesting selection dilemmas, in the centres particularity how do you fit in Foketi, Perese & Walton? and the backrow, Hooper, Swinton, Warren-Vosayaco, Harris, Sinclair, Holloway, Hanigan ......................

Good problems to have.

FWIW I'd have

4. Holloway
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. RWV

12. Foketi
13. Perese

20. Harris
23. Walton

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Forgot about Rahboni, I’m excited to see how he goes. With Perese, the Tahs have some players I really wouldn’t want to tackle

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You could even have

1 Angus Bell
2 David Porecki
3 Harry Johnson-Holmes
4 Jeremy Williams
5 Ned Hanigan
6 Lachlan Swinton
7 Michael Hooper
8 Will Harris
9 Jake Gordon
10 Will Harrison
11 Izaia Perese
12 Joey Walton
13 Lalakai Foketi
14 James Ramm
15 Ben Donaldson

16 Tom Horton
17 Adrian Brown
18 Ruan Smith
19 Jed Holloway
20 Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco,
21 Henry Robertson
22 Tevita Funa

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Pietsch is signed but not announced - the Tah's website hasn't been updated. Tizzano is likely to be announced soon; finalising contract. That creates a real logjam in the backrow.

Pietsch has said he want's to play on the wing and he can definitely defend so would be a good shot at starting if training form justifies it.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
You could even have

1 Angus Bell
2 David Porecki
3 Harry Johnson-Holmes
4 Jeremy Williams
5 Ned Hanigan
6 Lachlan Swinton
7 Michael Hooper
8 Will Harris
9 Jake Gordon
10 Will Harrison
11 Izaia Perese
12 Joey Walton
13 Lalakai Foketi
14 James Ramm
15 Ben Donaldson

16 Tom Horton
17 Adrian Brown
18 Ruan Smith
19 Jed Holloway
20 Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco,
21 Henry Robertson
22 Tevita Funa

I have a feeling they may use RWV as a 12 with either Foketi or Walton at 13. Gives us a very big body midfield who's strong both sides of the ball. Look at the difference Kerevi made for the wallabies...

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm thinking along these lines (assuming Hanigan is out of the picture until late season)

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Smith
4. Holloway
5. Douglas or Williams
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Harris
9. Gordon
10 Harrison
11. Perese
12. R W-V
13. Foketi
14. Pietsch or Ramm
15. Donaldson

16. Horton
17. Brown
18. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
19. Douglas or Williams
20. Pizzano
21. Robertson
22. Edmed / Walton
23. Pietsch/ Ramm or Funa

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pietsch is signed but not announced - the Tah's website hasn't been updated. Tizzano is likely to be announced soon; finalising contract. That creates a real logjam in the backrow.

Pietsch has said he want's to play on the wing and he can definitely defend so would be a good shot at starting if training form justifies it.
The Tahs have announced it. The story is on their website

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Here's mine:
1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Harry Johnson-Holmes
4. Hanigan
5. Douglas
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Harris
9. Gordon
10 Harrison
11. Pietsch
12. Perese
13. Foketi
14. Ramm
15. Donaldson

16. Horton
17. Brown
18. Smith
19. Holloway
20. Tizzano/Vosayako
21. Robertson
22. Walton
23. Funa

I thought one of the highlights for us last year was how Foketi/Perese built a really good 12/13 combination towards the end of the season. I wouldnt want to be breaking that up.

Not sure about Tizzano on the bench. I really like him but he plays on ball like a #7 so might be better to have Vosayako as 6/8 cover.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought one of the highlights for us last year was how Foketi/Perese built a really good 12/13 combination towards the end of the season. I wouldnt want to be breaking that up.
The challenge is that I reckon Walton is one of the young centres with the most up side in the country, he is a bloody good footballer

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Luke Nadurutalo is in the Waratahs wider training squad, will play for the Wildfires in 2022 also. Previously spent a bit of time in the Panthers NSW Cup team and NZ 7s squad.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
FP, I agree re a third hooker, pity Cotton went OS, I thought he looked all right. Plenty of locks, but either journeymen or youngsters, no real quality until Hanigan returns. 15 is certainly thin, probably Donaldson with Funa or Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) next, doesn't fill you with confidence.
The one area I don't agree is 9, at super level Gordon is very sound, Grant an adequate back-up and I believe Robertson has more upside than any of them.

Alex Ross (28)
FP, I agree re a third hooker, pity Cotton went OS, I thought he looked all right. Plenty of locks, but either journeymen or youngsters, no real quality until Hanigan returns. 15 is certainly thin, probably Donaldson with Funa or Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) next, doesn't fill you with confidence.
The one area I don't agree is 9, at super level Gordon is very sound, Grant an adequate back-up and I believe Robertson has more upside than any of them.
Third Hooker I hear may be Mahe Vailanu.