• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's something of a tricky one. Clearly they haven't had the sort of offer they want for the front of jersey sponsor but likewise they've added a bunch of other sponsors this year.

I certainly think it's better to have no front of jersey sponsor than to take far below the asking price just to fill it.

It would seem almost certain they aren't going to add one now.
Don't we have a Nick Politis, Russell Crowe or Andrew Forrest who put money just for fun? Lol

According Mungos, Rugby is a posh sport, so we need only one millionaire to put money there

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't we have a Nick Politis, Russell Crowe or Andrew Forrest who put money just for fun? Lol

According Mungos, Rugby is a posh sport, so we need only one millionaire to put money there
Unfortunately rugby does not attract the same millionaires it use to. I mean James packer goes to rugby school (cranbrook) but invests in a league team….

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A different one to his father. His dad was an avid rooster and was a bees dick away from owning Rugby League via Super league. He was also a private school boy
Yes packer senior also big league fan…but really could you expect media moguls and former owners of channel 9 to be anything otherwise. Yes dumb example from me but I think more millionaires in oz wanting to own league clubs vs rugby clubs obvious given relative profile of games.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unfortunately rugby does not attract the same millionaires it use to. I mean James packer goes to rugby school (cranbrook) but invests in a league team….
We need someone like Russell Crowe in Tahs

* Following the Super League war of the 1990s, he made an attempt to use his Hollywood connections to convince Ted Turner, a rival of Super League's Rupert Murdoch, to save the Rabbitohs before they were forced from the NRL competition for two years

* In 1999, Crowe paid $42,000 at auction for the brass bell used to open the inaugural rugby league match in Australia in 1908 at a fundraiser to assist Souths' legal battle for re-inclusion in the league.

* In 2005, he made the Rabbitohs the first club team in Australia to be sponsored by a film, when he negotiated a deal to advertise his film Cinderella Man on their jerseys.

* On 5 November 2006, Crowe appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno to announce that Firepower International was sponsoring the South Sydney Rabbitohs for $3 million over three years.

* During a Tonight Show with Jay Leno appearance, Crowe showed viewers a Rabbitoh playing jersey with Firepower's name emblazoned on it.

* Crowe helped to organise a rugby league game that took place at the University of North Florida, in Jacksonville, Florida, between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the 2007 Super League Grand Final winners the Leeds Rhinos.

* Crowe persuaded young England international forward Sam Burgess to sign with the Rabbitohs over other clubs that were competing for his signature, after inviting Burgess and his mother to the set of Robin Hood, which he was filming in Britain at the time.

* Crowe's influence helped to persuade noted player Greg Inglis to renege on his deal to join the Brisbane Broncos and sign for the Rabbitohs for 2011.

* In May 2011, Crowe helped arrange to have Fox broadcast the 2011 State of Origin series live for the first time in the United States, in addition to the NRL Grand Final.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

* Following the Super League war of the 1990s, he made an attempt to use his Hollywood connections to convince Ted Turner, a rival of Super League's Rupert Murdoch, to save the Rabbitohs before they were forced from the NRL competition for two years

* In 1999, Crowe paid $42,000 at auction for the brass bell used to open the inaugural rugby league match in Australia in 1908 at a fundraiser to assist Souths' legal battle for re-inclusion in the league.

* In 2005, he made the Rabbitohs the first club team in Australia to be sponsored by a film, when he negotiated a deal to advertise his film Cinderella Man on their jerseys.

* On 5 November 2006, Crowe appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno to announce that Firepower International was sponsoring the South Sydney Rabbitohs for $3 million over three years.

* During a Tonight Show with Jay Leno appearance, Crowe showed viewers a Rabbitoh playing jersey with Firepower's name emblazoned on it.

* Crowe helped to organise a rugby league game that took place at the University of North Florida, in Jacksonville, Florida, between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the 2007 Super League Grand Final winners the Leeds Rhinos.

* Crowe persuaded young England international forward Sam Burgess to sign with the Rabbitohs over other clubs that were competing for his signature, after inviting Burgess and his mother to the set of Robin Hood, which he was filming in Britain at the time.

* Crowe's influence helped to persuade noted player Greg Inglis to renege on his deal to join the Brisbane Broncos and sign for the Rabbitohs for 2011.

* In May 2011, Crowe helped arrange to have Fox broadcast the 2011 State of Origin series live for the first time in the United States, in addition to the NRL Grand Final.
Well at least rugby (force) has twiggy. We just need more twiggys. Actually maybe we just need twiggy but appealing to his interests to get more involved beyond the force. As he had talked of PE investment and think was (not sure if still is) one of possible PE options for RA. That investment was linked to governance reforms etc. Been very quiet on twiggy front so not sure that avenue going anywhere. In any case twiggy been very good for the force.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well at least rugby (force) has twiggy. We just need more twiggys. Actually maybe we just need twiggy but appealing to his interests to get more involved beyond the force. As he had talked of private equity investment and think was (not sure if still is) one of possible private equity options for Rugby Australia. That investment was linked to governance reforms etc. Been very quiet on twiggy front so not sure that avenue going anywhere. In any case twiggy been very good for the force.
Many players left Force due to low salaries. He should put more money lol

PS: What are u doing awake at 2 pm? Lol

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

Yes... but he didn’t help keep Adam Reynolds though!

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
About Russell Crowe, I don't understand why he doesn't support the Wallabies. He's half Kiwi and half Aussie like thousands in Australia. He supports an Aussie NRL team (Not the Warriors) but he supports the All Blacks in RU.

Something is wrong about RA, Wallabies are similar to Warriors, even Kiwis rather to support an Aussie side before to them

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
About Russell Crowe, I don't understand why he doesn't support the Wallabies. He's half Kiwi and half Aussie like thousands in Australia. He supports an Aussie NRL team (Not the Warriors) but he supports the All Blacks in RU.

Something is wrong about Rugby Australia, Wallabies are similar to Warriors, even Kiwis rather to support an Aussie side before to them
Fun fact. I played rugby with Russell at SBHS in the late 70s

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also, league h

SBHS is Sydney Boys High School
Yeah, I searched the internet and I though that maybe Crowe was living in NZ at that time so I though that Southland Boys High School Rugby was the correct answer lol. A Rugby School in Invercargill, the southest point of NZ lol

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Something is wrong about Rugby Australia, Wallabies are similar to Warriors, even Kiwis rather to support an Aussie side before to them

yep. ridiculous. I hope Andy and Hamish make this priority #1.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah, I searched the internet and I though that maybe Crowe was living in NZ at that time so I though that Southland Boys High School Rugby was the correct answer lol. A Rugby School in Invercargill, the southest point of NZ lol
My uncle was a teacher there back in the 90's and coached soccer (Just a random side note)

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
My uncle was a teacher there back in the 90's and coached soccer (Just a random side note)
Interesting. Is it cold there, isn't it?. I heard that Kiwis from South Island are more conservative and Kiwis from North Island are more open minded

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting. Is it cold there, isn't it?. I heard that Kiwis from South Island are more conservative and Kiwis from North Island are more open minded
Cold's got nothing on in, went down there in May, and it was a tad brisk (it was too cold for shorts).