• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I heard that hundred of times here but who are they? Have they names? Who are the Waratahs Russell Crowe?
Hughie.jpg

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Shame he signed on for 2024. Coming in 2025 is a bit late for the Lions. I know Folau did it but he could've used another year.
And if he signed for 2024 he would be eligible for RWC. Could put him on the bench vs Georgia and start him against Portugal. I know people will say it's a ridiculous idea to take a development player as part of the squad. I would have dangled that carrot if I was RA though.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
And if he signed for 2024 he would be eligible for RWC. Could put him on the bench vs Georgia and start him against Portugal. I know people will say it's a ridiculous idea to take a development player as part of the squad. I would have dangled that carrot if I was Rugby Australia though.
Seems unlikely the roosters would've released him during the NRL finals...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You have actually Paul Cully on twitter suggesting the money signing him could’ve gone towards women’s salaries. What a downfall of a writer this man has had.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
And if he signed for 2024 he would be eligible for RWC. Could put him on the bench vs Georgia and start him against Portugal. I know people will say it's a ridiculous idea to take a development player as part of the squad. I would have dangled that carrot if I was Rugby Australia though.
It's not the same situation but Petaia was essentially taken as a development player in 2019 and debuted during the World Cup. Definitely not saying that I think the Wallabies should do it for Sua'ali'i, but there is some precedent for it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Shame he signed on for 2024. Coming in 2025 is a bit late for the Lions. I know Folau did it but he could've used another year.
Ideally 2024 would have been great, but I think the outclauses were specific for 2025 onwards. Regardless, if outliers can come straight out of school and make the Tahs/Reds, and be in the Wallabies a year later I have no doubt a player like him with 3 years in the NRL plus very likely Origin and Kangaroos experience by then, and add a full season of Soup, I don't think it will be an issue.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
It's not the same situation but Petaia was essentially taken as a development player in 2019 and debuted during the World Cup. Definitely not saying that I think the Wallabies should do it for Sua'ali'i, but there is some precedent for it.
Curiously I think Petaia is the most similar player to Sua'ali'i in WBs squad. Isn't he?