• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Alex Ross (28)
How far do you think Jack Bowen is off? He’s my style of playmaker. Possibly on the shorter side and selective with his tackles atm. Together, Jack and Teddy play a good brand of rugby. Move Edmed to centres, Donaldson as a utility bench, and try and get the most out of Harrison (short too) in the 10 playmaking position. Keep Jorgensen at FB. The reserve 9 goes alright. Anyone but Gordon. Maybe this is a 12 month transition to get the best team on the park next season.
Given how players are dropping like flies, I expect Jack Bowen will be wearing 22 next game

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Gordon was the backbone of the team through some dismal times. Real leadership on the field and held the place together from my perspective. Right now the expectations on him match that performance as a requirement, but he's not there. The drive to the team need to involve more than the bloke.

He's given heaps, but what is desired from him is more than he can manage for 2023.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, Gordon is not playing too well, but it's La-La Land thinking that they're going to drop him completely and put a newbie in his place, especially with the injury count.
His form in Super was good last year, so hopefully he can find it again this year.
If he doesn't make the RWC squad (and I can't see it happening on what he's shown this year) he'll be looking for an OS Super fund venture, and good luck to him. He's been a good servant for the Tahs.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Ive been saying a few weeks the attack is just too simple. They rely on freak moments from players for points.

Plus they don’t have quick ruck ball. On the weekend, with Gordon off the tahs had momentum and front foot ball and we looked good. We just need to think about what is happening at the base of the ruck and how quickly we get into position or shape instead of just playing what’s in front of us.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ive been saying a few weeks the attack is just too simple. They rely on freak moments from players for points.

Plus they don’t have quick ruck ball. On the weekend, with Gordon off the tahs had momentum and front foot ball and we looked good. We just need to think about what is happening at the base of the ruck and how quickly we get into position or shape instead of just playing what’s in front of us.
And a lot of came from Perese last year, he's looked much better this week in contact but he's still not quite what he was last year.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Perese looks to be way off from the speed he was playing at prior to the knee injury. Some guys come back like nothing happened and others take a long time. Without his speed/power game he is not a finesse type Center.

Unfortunately, without any Club Rugby yet there is only one place for him to try and re gain it and it's Super Rugby. He looks like he could do with 2/3 rounds of Club footy to get some confidence.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think he’s not getting any early ball. Opposition teams have figured him out a bit and just rush up on him, pretty much tackling him the second he gets the ball. We need a few players (winger, fb a loosie?) running lines (decoy or not) off the 5/8 because at present it’s telegraphed it’s going to him.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I think one of the major issues at the moment is DC is trying to find a spot for every player. The Donaldson/Ehmed - Hooper/Gamble is a classic example.

Look at how well the Brumbies do it. They don't play both tens simultaneously; one starts, and one finishes the game. They rotate who starts, and it is working wonders for them.

We also don't seem to have a backup for Gordon. I have not seen anything from the reserve halfback yet.

I agree about Perese, he is definitely off pace and will need a few rounds.

Truth is we are a middle of the table team at the moment and nothing more, hopefully things change soon

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Screenshot_20230322_063942_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230322_064020_Instagram.jpg

I love it!

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Perese looks to be way off from the speed he was playing at prior to the knee injury. Some guys come back like nothing happened and others take a long time. Without his speed/power game he is not a finesse type Center.

Unfortunately, without any Club Rugby yet there is only one place for him to try and re gain it and it's Super Rugby. He looks like he could do with 2/3 rounds of Club footy to get some confidence.

You see it a lot in NFL, they often talk about how the offensive guys coming back from knee/achilles injuries don't get their full zip back until year 2 post surgery. Fingers crossed this is not the case with Perese. Or Kerevi, QC (Quade Cooper) from a Wallabies perspective for that matter

Marce

John Thornett (49)

Geerob going with this seems significant. Get it done Rugby Australia bosses. Hopefully not another leverage play by Isaac Moses to make sure Joey is the Roosters Fullback over Teddy and Manu but know knows. How exciting for Rugby if so!!
Where does the money come from? How can you ensure he comes to Tahs?

To clinch a deal, RA would need to line up a Super Rugby club for the sought-after fullback, with the Waratahs the logical option. NSW Rugby did not respond to inquiries from the Herald.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Shame he signed on for 2024. Coming in 2025 is a bit late for the Lions. I know Folau did it but he could've used another year.