• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The first para I agree with. But I think we almost got value out of Cridge this year, he wouldn't have cost much. Mind you we got nothing out of last year's duo. Problem is, we don't seem to develop them through Shute, just the lightweight workhorses.
Yep cridge was good value and hopefully continues to improve. Just imagine if we could have kept frost…things would look a lot better.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Yep don’t expect much from Nadolo consistently over the season although there may be one or two highlight reel efforts.

It can be rationalised if we’re not paying him much but something tells me that he hasn’t signed a James Ramm- esque squad contract

I’m wary of this being a Tepai Meoroa situation, where someone has signed him on highlights from four years earlier.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Yep don’t expect much from Nadolo consistently over the season although there may be one or two highlight reel efforts.

It can be rationalised if we’re not paying him much but something tells me that he hasn’t signed a James Ramm- esque squad contract

I’m wary of this being a Tepai Meoroa situation, where someone has signed him on highlights from four years earlier.
What a waste of money he was!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Meoroa, now there’s a disastrous signing

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
At one stage I thought he was necessary within a lightweight, rookie team. Thought he’d provide go forward outside Harrison to give him some front foot ball and a physical presence in the midfield. Ended up being a strong, but predictable ball carrier and not much else. Coupled with that Whetton, no wonder a few in the head office jumped ship

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Meoroa, now there’s a disastrous signing
I think he was a schoolboy gun from Newington College and a teacher from there ended up working at the Waratahs,...... must have had some influence in his signing .... on ridiculous money I'm told..... AND.....he wasn't very good.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Quite a few players that took up opportunities in the La team Gilitinis might be on the lookout for new opportunities and could be picked up for next year. Might be beyond their best, but still rugby fit and handy back ups and experienced.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Christian Poidevin is there too.

Meorea was talked up as a potential origin player when he debuted in the NRL. He seemed to drop off quickly, too big and too slow IIRC. Probably a poor trainer.

The Tahs signed him when his NRL career looked to have dried up. It's just another poor recruitment.

Seriously, how many duds have the Tahs signed from the NRL or overseas since 2008?

Feel free to add here:

-Sosene Anesi
-Sarel Pretorius
-Hendrik Roodt
-Zac Guildford
-Le Roux Roets
-Sam Caird
-Jack Whetton
-Kotaro Matsushima
-Angus Ta'avao (this one made no sense in terms of his performance - made the All Blacks once he left)
-Jamie Roberts
-Tepai Moeroa

Undecided:
-Cridge
-Funa (why haven't we seen him yet??)

Good signings:
-Israel Folau
-Jacques Potgeiter
-Naiyaravoro

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Who was that zippy saffa scrumhalf you signed years ago, he was great.

edit: Sarel Pretorius. Think he was amazing in SA but didn't do much in Sydney.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Got a few more although one name I can remember ; Reece Robinson, Nathan blacklock, ex Rabbitohs winger with a name that started with a T (Talanoa maybe?) ended up playing at Sydney Uni and Ryan McGoldrick

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes.. that’s him. Now back at Newington I’m told.. a school teacher involved in the Waratahs and two dud Kiwi coaches … no wonder they struggled.
Yes It started to go pair shaped when Gibson appointed head coach and under Andrew Hore heading up nswru (another kiwi)…Tim rapp and a few others also involved in some unfortunate decisions.