• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That and some of the top quality being stripped out to the MLR and France (both Top 14 and PRO D2)

What's even more nuts is that I know of several players from the subbies level that have been approached and have accepted offers from places like Spain and Dubai among others. It's not the Shute Shield but these kind of players represent a level of depth for Shute clubs to draw from season on season. I mean Charlie Gamble started his time in Sydney at subbies level.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Did the lost years of COVID play a part in the quality this year? Losing an entire season would surely have had an impact
No entire season was lost. Half a season was still completed the year it was cancelled.

Agree with others it’s the drain of players to other comps that are offering even semi-pro opportunities

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1662445089943.png

Who is the player outside Foley?

Photo is from Waratahs Facebook.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looks like he’s on a full contract too.
The NSW Waratahs have continued their build for the future, signing academy and Junior Wallabies duo Jack Bowen and Ben Dowling.
That’s a lot of playmaking depth, especially with Beale back too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Looks like he’s on a full contract too.

That’s a lot of playmaking depth, especially with Beale back too.
Hope they only see Beale as a Fullback/Bench Utility.

Good to see NSW getting their home grown talent in the building. It's inevitable that a couple will be lost eventually but we are giving ourselves the best chance. Where does Dowling play Club footy? Was good to see Bowen playing as much as he could for Easts and Donaldson, Edmed went straight back to Club after the season and Aus A.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looks like the tahs are preparing to lose one of their young 10s after signing Bowen:
Waratahs coach Darren Coleman concedes one or more of his five-eighths will move on at the end of next season after the Tahs added Jack Bowen, a fourth No.10, to the main squad on Thursday.

With Harrison and Donaldson both off contract at the end of the year it looks like it'll be one of them. Probably Harrison at this stage, particularly given he's not capped for Australia so may attract more foreign attention to negotiate with. Would much prefer he stayed in Australia though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Looks like the tahs are preparing to lose one of their young 10s after signing Bowen:

With Harrison and Donaldson both off contract at the end of the year it looks like it'll be one of them. Probably Harrison at this stage, particularly given he's not capped for Australia so may attract more foreign attention to negotiate with. Would much prefer he stayed in Australia though.
Hopefully in Aus.

It's likely there will be a fair bit of player movement post RWC. I'm not convinced the Rebels have their guy in either of the Gordon brothers also.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hopefully in Aus.

It's likely there will be a fair bit of player movement post RWC. I'm not convinced the Rebels have their guy in either of the Gordon brothers also.
I can't see them going out of their way for Harrison with both of the Gordon's there though, they've got a lot more holes they need to fill in their squad before gambling on an incremental upgrade at 10. That could all change if there's a coaching change first though.

My money would be on the Brumbies, they need a backup to Lolesio but could also play them both at 10-12 as they were in the under 20s. It's also my understanding that Larkham has a good relationship with that year of playmakers from when he was working with the squad during the 2019 u20s world cup.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I can't see them going out of their way for Harrison with both of the Gordon's there though, they've got a lot more holes they need to fill in their squad before gambling on an incremental upgrade at 10. That could all change if there's a coaching change first though.

My money would be on the Brumbies, they need a backup to Lolesio but could also play them both at 10-12 as they were in the under 20s. It's also my understanding that Larkham has a good relationship with that year of playmakers from when he was working with the squad during the 2019 u20s world cup.
I agree with that. Rebels have issues throughout at the moment but with To'omua leaving I haven't seen a replacement come through and the Gordon that was in the U20s this past year is no where near up to Super Rugby at this stage.

Harrisons ability to play 15 will help him as well. That is a position the Brumbies could be looking for with Banks gone and Tom Wright not a lock for the position. A young bloke that can play both comfortably could slot right into that system. Force don't really have a great option at 15 either.