• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree Latu is worth a look for someone. Just not us, I think we Tahs have good depth at 2. JOC (James O'Connor) made a life change after hitting rock bottom to come back. We can hope for Latu, the man, not the footballer, that he can make some changes to his life to be a better him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In short someone of Latus pedigree worth a shot for right price and would be crazy for an oz rugby side not to look at him. But yeh tahs perhaps less need with 3 quality hookers. But rebels or force could take a look at him. Yeh can be card magnet and yeh off field booze issues but he has quality/talent and why you would be prepared to give him a shot with strict contract provisions and yeh at a discount as his off field issues means his value a bit lower given risks.

There are other players with troubled pasts but with talent that have been taken up and really no different with risks of signing young unproven player on hope he can make the grade. In contrast latu has shown he can make the grade so on risk reward scenario worth a look.
‘Troubled past’ would suggest its all behind him, he has been binned multiple times this season alone for foul and dangerous play, including recklessly tackling players in the air and telling the referee to ‘fuck off’ which resulted in a red card. The fact a French rugby club is releasing a player for discipline speaks volumes.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
‘Troubled past’ would suggest its all behind him, he has been binned multiple times this season alone for foul and dangerous play, including recklessly tackling players in the air and telling the referee to ‘fuck off’ which resulted in a red card. The fact a French rugby club is releasing a player for discipline speaks volumes.
Thanks Adam84…I was aware of issues this season but not the extent you outline.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Gee some of you lot have a short memory - everyone was saying the exact same thing following the signing of Perese two years ago and that has turned out ok.

Linking up with Latu would have to be predicated on him agreeing to a significantly reduced contract to reflect his 'risk' and lack of consistency on the pitch.

If we can sign him cheaply, the only real risk is him f*cking him up off the field- and if he does, then you sack him on the spot.

I can't see there being much commercial risk in terms of backlash from sponsors because honestly the Waratahs don't have much mainstream media visibility these days.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Gee some of you lot have a short memory - everyone was saying the exact same thing following the signing of Perese two years ago and that has turned out ok.

Linking up with Latu would have to be predicated on him agreeing to a significantly reduced contract to reflect his 'risk' and lack of consistency on the pitch.

If we can sign him cheaply, the only real risk is him f*cking him up off the field- and if he does, then you sack him on the spot.

I can't see there being much commercial risk in terms of backlash from sponsors because honestly the Waratahs don't have much mainstream media visibility these days.
Nah i said Perese deserved a second chance.
He was a young kid who lost his way, and Gilmore who is now assistant coach at the Tahs was his coach during high-school, so the connection was there to make it work.

Latu isn't a kid.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I get they both have had off field issues. Perese was about 20, Latu isn’t. But two things, Perese did a silly tackle last year, was suspended, worked on his technique and hasn’t had any more major on field disciplinary issues since. Latu, from all reports is the same loose cannon he was when he left. And I’d rather Poreki, Horton, Vailanu not be pushed out for him. I’m not saying he shouldn’t be given another chance at one of the Super Rugby teams but we are ok for hookers at present. If he played here I’d guess the Rebels would be the best fit.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I get they both have had off field issues. Perese was about 20, Latu isn’t. But two things, Perese did a silly tackle last year, was suspended, worked on his technique and hasn’t had any more major on field disciplinary issues since. Latu, from all reports is the same loose cannon he was when he left. And besides all that I’d rather Poreki, et al, not be pushed out. I’m not saying he shouldn’t be given another chance, but we are ok for hookers at present.

The difference, to me, with Perese was (as I understand) he had paid the cost and got his shit together before getting the opportunity

I like a good redemption story as much as anyone, but I would want to see that Latu has started AA and has a couple of coins before he starts pre season training - and a zero tolerance contract with testing

I don't want another story of unit a few hours after training asleep at traffic lights on Cleveland St

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I mean Perese was charged with 'drug- dealing' and nearly overdosed whilst playing overseas - labelling these as 'some off- field issues' is pretty generous.

If he's not a point of comparison btw - who the hell in world rugby is?

Perese overdosed overseas? Do you have a link to that story??

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I mean Perese was charged with 'drug- dealing' and nearly overdosed whilst playing overseas - labelling these as 'some off- field issues' is pretty generous.

If he's not a point of comparison btw - who the hell in world rugby is?
I would be very careful with these accusations. I would suggest that you delete this comment.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
On a more positive note, the hooker who started on the weekend had an absolute blinder; strong carrier and lineout held up.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Since when can you blokes read French?
I’m probably behind the 8 ball here, but if you highlight the text it will give you the option to translate for you. Literally just figured it out 2 minutes ago. But as said above, a stretch.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nadolo is fatter than ever!

20220502_165122.jpg

20220502_165133.jpg

Is he gonna play at the front row?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
On a more positive note, the hooker who started on the weekend had an absolute blinder; strong carrier and lineout held up.
Vainu. He seems to be a bit of a project player for Coleman. Coached him at Gordon. Signed him when he moved to LA and then brought him back with him when he got the Tahs gig.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Vainu. He seems to be a bit of a project player for Coleman. Coached him at Gordon. Signed him when he moved to LA and then brought him back with him when he got the Tahs gig.

Vailanu.

He's bounced around.

Tongan, who got a scholarship to Auckland Grammar, who then went to Rebels U20s/Rising, then Sydney club rugby / MLR now Tahs. Wikpedia also says he was poor on Taree.