• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nemani Nadolo confirmed for one year deal at Waratahs next year. Reckon he'd be there on cheap bucks. Pretty useful starter or bench. Wouldn't be outraged to see if Rennie can get anything out of him for the Wallabies (should be eligible this year).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vailanu was at Warringah too under Coleman. He’s followed him to 3 other clubs now. It’s Bennett/Darius Boyd all over again.

What a joke the Tahs have signed Nadolo. How about trying to get Harry Potter and Guy Porter his teammates back, actual young good players. Or even Lynagh.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
9. Gordon
10. Edmed
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Nadolo
15. Beale
22. Pietsch
23. Harrison
Pretty threatening team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Vailanu was at Warringah too under Coleman. He’s followed him to 3 other clubs now. It’s Bennett/Darius Boyd all over again.

What a joke the Tahs have signed Nadolo. How about trying to get Harry Potter and Guy Porter his teammates back, actual young good players. Or even Lynagh.
I like Potter but no to Porter. Still think Nadolo is better than both of them. Both aren't any better than your current lot.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I like Potter but no to Porter. Still think Nadolo is better than both of them. Both aren't any better than your current lot.
If Nadolo was better than both (Porter is a 13) he’d regularly start over them. Leicester play this weekend in the euro quarter vs Leinster. Let’s see who Borthwick picks.

Whenever someone gets in behind Leicester, look how slow Nadolo is, turns slower than the Ruby Princess.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Nemani Nadolo confirmed for one year deal at Waratahs next year. Reckon he'd be there on cheap bucks. Pretty useful starter or bench. Wouldn't be outraged to see if Rennie can get anything out of him for the Wallabies (should be eligible this year).
He last played for Fiji in July 2021, wouldn't have his elgibility reset until 2024, but I can't see him giving up on Fiji either way.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If Nadolo was better than both (Porter is a 13) he’d regularly start over them. Leicester play this weekend in the euro quarter vs Leinster. Let’s see who Borthwick picks.

Whenever someone gets in behind Leicester, look how slow Nadolo is, turns slower than the Ruby Princess.
Yeah he's used as an impact player who you have to manage work load of, still think he would provide more of an edge than Potter or Porter to the 'Tahs.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He last played for Fiji in July 2021, wouldn't have his elgibility reset until 2024, but I can't see him giving up on Fiji either way.
Okay, I scanned his wiki and said he 'retired' before '19 RWC. Less enthused if he's not eligible.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Very interesting, I had heard, with some authority, that he was off to Japan in 2023, clearly not the case. Although a 1 year deal suggests it could still be on the cards down the track.

It'll be interesting to see how he's used by the Tahs. As mentioned above, he seems a bit of a liability in defence when asked to turn and chase. I think he may have been better suited to the NH style game.

He will be another year older next season and with his body type and the position he plays, that isn't exactly a good thing.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
From what I can see he was born in Fiji - I don't think he would be eligible (unless he has a parent or grandparent born in Australia)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What about trying to keep/develop Ramm, Reilly and Newsome?

If Nadolo wants a few bob before taking up the pipe and slippers he should head off to Japan.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What about trying to keep/develop Ramm, Reilly and Newsome?

If Nadolo wants a few bob before taking up the pipe and slippers he should head off to Japan.

Because you need immediate results/ success as well as developing your player development pipeline. I don’t have a problem of dual strategy of signing players like Nadalo and developing / recruiting others.

I don’t have a problem with what tahs doing recruitment wise in what is a tough market for talent. I think the reality is players like Ramm, porter etc not realistic to think could retain them as they have already made their decision to chase European coin.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is it 5 years just for qualifying via residency? I thought it was 3 years of stand down before switching allegiances.
Residency wasn't included in the changes. He would need to have either been born, parent born or his grandparents born in Australia.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

"REGULATION 8. ELIGIBILITY TO PLAY FOR NATIONAL REPRESENTATIVE TEAMS​

"8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.2, a Player may only play for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team of the Union of the country with which the Player has a genuine, close, credible and established national link in which:

"(a) the Player was born; or

"(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or

"(c) the Player has completed sixty [1] consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing; or

"(d) the Player has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing."

BUT...

"Birthright Transfer

"8.6 A Player who has represented one Union (as set out in Regulation 8.2 to 8.4) may apply to represent a new Union provided that:

"(i) the Player meets the eligibility criteria set out in Regulation 8.1(a) or 8.1(b) in relation to the new Union; and

"(ii) at least three years have passed since the Player last represented their former Union; and

"(iii) the approval of World Rugby is obtained."

So in Nadolo's case I think 8.1 (c) or at best (d) applies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ do you happen to know if he has any Aus-born parents or grandparents? Almost certainly a moot point at his age but moot points can still be instructive in terms of how rules & regs work in practice vs theory (a.k.a. Law of Unintended Consequences).