• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Certainly but if you have a big stadium in the middle of Moore Park shared with other teams in a city with millions of inhabitans in the heart of Sports journalism is almost impossible to hide it
If want to hide something, doing it inside a secure stadium like the SFS is the perfect place to do it. And sports journalists aren’t that fussed about rugby in Sydney anyway.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
If want to hide something, doing it inside a secure stadium like the SFS is the perfect place to do it. And sports journalists aren’t that fussed about rugby in Sydney anyway.

The perfect place would be a small oval in Darwin or something like that. There are few rugby journalist in Australia but most of them are in Sydney lol

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Predicted starting XV for round 1 and we have STRONG impact players as Nadolo, Latu and Tuipulotu:

20230216-072658.jpg

Obviously this is just someone on Rugby.com.au having a stab at it but it would seem more likely that Will Harris will start at 8 based on the two trials.

Swinton will surely start at 6. The question is whether we can fit both Gamble and Gleeson on the bench.

Obviously Pietsch will miss round one. Based on trial form potentially Perese will play on the wing and Tuipulotu in the centres with Foketi. Jorgensen has certainly staked his claim though. Despite his youth and inexperience he'll be hard to leave out. He looks totally ready for this level.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Obviously this is just someone on Rugby.com.au having a stab at it but it would seem more likely that Will Harris will start at 8 based on the two trials.

Swinton will surely start at 6. The question is whether we can fit both Gamble and Gleeson on the bench.

Obviously Pietsch will miss round one. Based on trial form potentially Perese will play on the wing and Tuipulotu in the centres with Foketi. Jorgensen has certainly staked his claim though. Despite his youth and inexperience he'll be hard to leave out. He looks totally ready for this level.
Yeah, a Gamble/Hooper/Gleeson backrow seems a bit of a waste of all the size they have apparently been building.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

with the quality in the backrow we can assume there maybe a solid rotation schedule planned

I expect

6 Swinton
7 Hooper
8 Harris

With Gleeson & Sinclair on the bench vs the ponies, I can only see Gamble getting a bench spot if we plan to lower backs coverage of the bench, and even then another lock would make more sense as it is out weakest area

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
with the quality in the backrow we can assume there maybe a solid rotation schedule planned

I expect

6 Swinton
7 Hooper
8 Harris

With Gleeson & Sinclair on the bench vs the ponies, I can only see Gamble getting a bench spot if we plan to lower backs coverage of the bench, and even then another lock would make more sense as it is out weakest area
Given that Hooper hasn't played a minute yet, I would start Swinton, Gamble and Harris with a bench of Gleeson and Hooper. Likewise, I would start Bell and Porecki on the bench to ease them back into the team. Seu and Holloway select themselves, with Sinclair on the bench.

Our backs are very flexible so we only need a 6:2 bench. I would start Nawaqanitawase and Nadolo with Wilson and Perese on the bench. The rest select themselves. Jorgensen's time will come, maybe bench time against the weaker Aussie teams.

This would be my week one team (even though its the Brumbies that team showed out very well in the trials). The week two team would have Bell, Porecki, Hooper and Perese all back starting. Whether Gleeson or Harris starts week two depends on performance in week one.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Given that Hooper hasn't played a minute yet, I would start Swinton, Gamble and Harris with a bench of Gleeson and Hooper. Likewise, I would start Bell and Porecki on the bench to ease them back into the team. Seu and Holloway select themselves, with Sinclair on the bench.

Our backs are very flexible so we only need a 6:2 bench. I would start Nawaqanitawase and Nadolo with Wilson and Perese on the bench. The rest select themselves. Jorgensen's time will come, maybe bench time against the weaker Aussie teams.

This would be my week one team (even though its the Brumbies that team showed out very well in the trials). The week two team would have Bell, Porecki, Hooper and Perese all back starting. Whether Gleeson or Harris starts week two depends on performance in week one.
I don't remember Hooper playing trials for years, if he is breathing I expect him to start

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
My team would be
Bell, Porecki, Holtz, Holloway, Seu, Swinton, Hooper, Gleeson, Gordon, Edmed, Jorgensen, Foketi, Perese, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Donaldson,
Res: Latu, Lambert, Faulkner, Sinclair, Gamble, Goddard, tuipoutu, Nadolo
I know they have been playing Faulkner at LHP, but I believe he played plenty of toght head at the Force

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So that's Bell, Porecki and Hooper going into round 1 with zero rugby since the Welsh game (and longer for Bell).

And then there's Perese who hasn't played since the 2nd England test. I don't like it.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
So we have 4 battering rams to destroy Brumbies defence in second half: Nadolo, Gamble, Latu and Tuipulotu
Langi Gleeson off the bench surely...

Gamble is the Tah's best loose forward, he's already better than Hooper, and he's a Kiwi ya know.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So that's Bell, Porecki and Hooper going into round 1 with zero rugby since the Welsh game (and longer for Bell).

And then there's Perese who hasn't played since the 2nd England test. I don't like it.
Do any of them start? Doubt it. They'll be eased in.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Do any of them start? Doubt it. They'll be eased in.
I reckon you start them and get as much out as possible. I wouldn’t want to rely on them if they die in ass with 10 mins left.

Could stagger them potentially but this is a very big game for the overall season if you are to believe the hype that it’s the no1, 2 Aus teams.