• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Tahs lost the 2nd half to the Two Blues 12-7. RWV scored a try.

No where near the energy of the first 40. And it showed in the result. I know these guys are wider squad members and back ups etc. but I expected those involved in HP set ups to perform better. I guess the heat played a bit of a factor.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s not good enough if your wearing the Tahs jersey.

Sure there are blokes that were playing Colts & 2nd Grade last year in the line up but I expected fitness following a professional pre season to overcome a low - mid table Shute Shield team.

oh well. Different team next week but also a far better opponent

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It’s not good enough if your wearing the Tahs jersey.

Sure there are blokes that were playing Colts & 2nd Grade last year in the line up but I expected fitness following a professional pre season to overcome a low - mid table Shute Shield team.

oh well. Different team next week but also a far better opponent
It does speak to one of the major weaknesses of the tahs this year - they turned over close to half their squad from last year, and while it doesn't effect the top 23 too much just about everyone outside of that is coming in new with not much experience or connection to the rest. Could make injuries particularly damaging if those guys coming in aren't up to it and aren't too familiar.

That said, that sort of depth issue is pretty common amongst the Australian teams. Only the Reds and Brumbies have any sort of year on year consistency across their squads and even then it's not necessarily much to crow about.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Sign these lads lol
20230218-100259.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My guess is that they will all start

Not this season they won't. The only players from yesterday that made a case for themselves were Dowling and Wilson. Sinclair and Nadolo will be given opportunities based off previous seasons/reputation but outside of that the rest need more time. A lot of the performance against the Two Blues was players was not coming out mentally prepared for that 2nd half more than anything from my perspective thinking they'd handle WS as comfortably as they did WH and getting out enthused. Which isn't good enough.

Yesterday was another demonstration of the need for something beyond just club Rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yesterday was another demonstration of the need for something beyond just club Rugby.
Super Rugby Australia A comp.

Disappointing result but easy to quickly move on for that one due to players involved at season proper now.

Glad Nadolo has got as much trial time in as he has. Definitely looked like he needed it when he arrived but looking good now and ready to start with Pietsch out.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not this season they won't. The only players from yesterday that made a case for themselves were Dowling and Wilson. Sinclair and Nadolo will be given opportunities based off previous seasons/reputation but outside of that the rest need more time. A lot of the performance against the Two Blues was players was not coming out mentally prepared for that 2nd half more than anything from my perspective thinking they'd handle WS as comfortably as they did WH and getting out enthused. Which isn't good enough.

I though I was talking about Bell, Porecki and Hooper going into round 1 with zero rugby

Alex Ross (28)
I though I was talking about Bell, Porecki and Hooper going into round 1 with zero rugby
I can see Porecki easing in off the bench as Latu is an able starter. Bell is a maybe. Hooper can definitely start from zero. No concerns there at all.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
The perfect place would be a small oval in Darwin or something like that. There are few rugby journalist in Australia but most
Super Rugby Australia A comp.

Disappointing result but easy to quickly move on for that one due to players involved at season proper now.

Glad Nadolo has got as much trial time in as he has. Definitely looked like he needed it when he arrived but looking good now and ready to start with Pietsch out.
He's a big man. Doesn't look fit enough to start. Guessing he will come on at the back end. Jorgensen to start on wing for injured Pietcsh this week I suspect.