• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hanigan is injured. Those guys are from 1st grade and much younger and have zero experience compared to Sinclair who looked fine last year. Why are you so confident they're better than Sinclair - right now?

FWIW, I would place Sinclair at 1.95cm and 116kgs.

Don't forget Sinclair played lock for Aus A against big packs Tonga, Fiji and Samoa and did fine. He's bulked up from his Shute Shield days at #8.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSR

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hanigan is injured. Those guys are from 1st grade and much younger and have zero experience compared to Sinclair who looked fine last year. Why are you so confident they're better than Sinclair - right now?

Sinclair plays above his weight.

Alex Ross (28)
Not tall for a lock but one of our most consistent performers over the last couple of years. And this is coming from someone who criticised his signing!

basically the same size as Dave Dennis who was an excellent Super Rugby lock.

1677062345990.png

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
20230222-202417.jpg

And some people tell me that I can't follow League if I'm an Union supporter. If my heroe does it, I can do it too lol

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not tall for a lock but one of our most consistent performers over the last couple of years. And this is coming from someone who criticised his signing!

basically the same size as Dave Dennis who was an excellent Super Rugby lock.
Good reference re Dennis. I was a bit flat when he was signed as well but he has not let the Tahs down and I have no doubt been a steady head around a young group.

I think he lacks the speed at Super Rugby level to be in the backrow unlike Dave Dennis could so he is forced to be in the 2nd row in which the Tahs have a need.

Alex Ross (28)
Good reference re Dennis. I was a bit flat when he was signed as well but he has not let the Tahs down and I have no doubt been a steady head around a young group.

I think he lacks the speed at Super Rugby level to be in the backrow unlike Dave Dennis could so he is forced to be in the 2nd row in which the Tahs have a need.
Size isn’t everything. I’d take a small Sinclair over Jack “wet lettuce leaf” Whetton or Sam “couldn’t be fucked” Caird.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Found this link - provides a summary of the wounded

Waratahs
Kurtley Beale
– Has been stood down until his legal battle is finished. The next court date is March 22nd so he won’t be seen before then. Source.
Harry Johnson-Holmes – Ruptured his Achilles in Wallabies camp before the July test. Aiming to return by rd 3-4. Source.
Joey Walton – Had an operation to clean out a disc in his lower back. As of the end of January, he was 6 weeks away which would mean he is aiming for a round 2-3 return. Source.
Will Harrison – Had a big multi-ligament knee injury during Super Round early in 2022 and had surgery on his patella and MCL. Aiming to in round 3. Source.
Ned Hanigan – Came off with a knee injury in the Feb 11th trial when Dane Zander fell awkardly on his knee. Looking like an MCL type injury. Aiming to return round 2-4. Source.
Tiaan Tauakipulu – Has a knee injury from the preseason. Aiming to be back in round 2 or 3. Source.
Dylan Pietsch – Went down in the trial against the Brumbies on the 4th of Feb with a quad tear. Expected back rd 2-3. Source.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Waratahs provided this with their team release.

Players unavailable for selection:

Dylan Pietsch – Quad (Round 2-3)

Harry Johnson-Holmes – Achilles (Round 3-4)

Joey Walton – Back (Round 2-3)

Ned Hanigan – Knee (Round 2-4)

Tiaan Tauakipulu – Knee (Round 2-3)

Will Harrison – Knee (Round 3)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Albert had back to back ACL injuries.
John Hopoate has 11 children, some of whom are playing NRL/NSW Cup or union rugby juniors, including his daughters.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Albert looked like he was going to be the next quality player like Will who has had a really long career now.

Some have definitely got further due to name or been given chances like Jamil who has shown himself to be someone you don't want at your team.

Just imagine the terror they must have caused junior footy on the Northern beaches of Sydney for a long time.