• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting…I suppose one of the benefits is what some of the younger players like Marky n might learn / pick up from him plus immediate squad quality depth.
I dunno. Can you teach what he has?
You’re born a brick on legs, or you ain’t. Does he still have the legs for it?

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Hot take, Nadolo has/had half the attacking talent of Naiyaravoro and all the same downsides. No thanks.
I agree, I remember watching him play for Randwick and he was great, he didn't hit his best form until years later. We already have Beale who IMO is way past it. I would rather have one of those speedy Drua wingers

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Horton doesn't even seem to be in the squad for this weekend's matches. Is he on the outer due to his lineout throwing, or is he injured?

He's been with the Tahs long enough I'd have thought he'd be able to fix the lineout throwing by now. I'd have assumed it was a trainable skill. Yet he's still horrible at it. If he got it fixed I'd be throwing my weight behind him being part of the Wallabies training squad, he's more than good enough in my mind in every other area. But not with how bad his lineout throwing still is to this day.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Tahs are still very much in need of a XL body in the backs.

Nadolo, at 130kg+, brings a whole new challenge to any teams defensive pattern...

Even at his age I'd have him there in a heartbeat, he brings a far superior rugby skillset compared to Taquele N, (Though I wouldn't say no to him either btw)

Can kick, offload and regularly beats the first defender with sheer brute force... Creates space every time as defenders need to at least double team him every time he gets the ball.

This guy is a headache for defenders that never goes away.... Can also play at 12.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

Nadolo, at 130kg+, brings a whole new challenge to any teams defensive pattern...

Even at his age I'd have him there in a heartbeat, he brings a far superior rugby skillset compared to Taquele N, (Though I wouldn't say no to him either btw)

Can kick, offload and regularly beats the first defender with sheer brute force... Creates space every time as defenders need to at least double team him every time he gets the ball.

This guy is a headache for defenders that never goes away.... Can also play at 12.
Mate 100%

I really cannot understand why these others are bagging him. Especially saying he isn't as big an attacking threat as Big TN which is just completely false. Might be sour grapes as he only hit his strides after leaving NSW.

As you alluded to he isn't just a winger. I'd love to see him at 12 with that young backline running support lines off him / hitting the gaps Nadolo would create. Nightmare for defenses.

I will admit that you won't want him Beale and Roberts in the squad. Whilst I'm a fan of Roberts I think Nadolo would offer more at this stage.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

yeah, no, we have one the best young 12s out for the season and with Beale returning, we have our fill of elderly backs

I would rather see more investment in 2m locks right now, we are living with dwarves with workrate (I never thought I would be describing Holloway as demonstrating "workrate" but .................... )

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
yeah, no, we have one the best young 12s out for the season and with Beale returning, we have our fill of elderly backs

I would rather see more investment in 2m locks right now, we are living with dwarves with workrate (I never thought I would be describing Holloway as demonstrating "workrate" but .................... )

Why must this be an either or situation? Not exactly apples and apples.

Roberts is on a short term deal for peanuts, has barely played and will either be on the same deal next year or not at all. So no issue there.

Beale will likely be either FB or bench. Why wouldn't you have Beale and Nadolo on the same team btw?

If I was looking at those 2 for kick returns I'd be having a serious case of shitting bricks.. Beale is a true triple threat and Nadolo is terrifying.

I agree an XXL lock would be ideal, but they're not queuing up at the door just at the minute are they.....

Holloway and Cridge are doing a great job so far. Why would you say no to NN on the premise that a suitable lock might just possibly be coming onto the market.... In fact I'd rate Holloway in the top 3 locks in AU based on form at present along with Philip and Rodda. Swain and Frost close behind. They could also really use some quality bench props though.

The Tahs are starting to build a very handy roster and Nadolo makes it even stronger IMO.

Bell
Porecki
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Holloway
Cridge
Swinton
Hooper
RWV
Gordon
Donaldson
Nawaqa
Foketi
Perese
Nadolo
Beale

With some real quality to come off the bench from the likes of:
Will Harrison or Edmed
Joey Walton
Will Harris
Gamble
Sinclair
Grant
Pietsch
Gleeson
Funa
Ramm
Tizzano
Douglas
Williams

Alex Ross (28)
But if you stuck Taqele in that team, does he not score same and if not more tries? Look how many he scored for the Tahs.
He was a try scoring machine in 2018. But his seasons up north have not come close to that strike rate again. Aberration perhaps?

Alex Ross (28)
James Ramm leaving

Sucks when overseas can afford to pay more for potential. He’s going to be an excellent back 3 player. Hopefully we can get him back in a couple of years.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd take him on a cut-price deal with strict behaviour related clauses in the contract.
You would be crazy not to look at him as we don’t have a plethora of quality players to choose from to compete against kiwi teams in super rugby so I absolutely agree with your sentiments