• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Absolutely, us and Brumbies on par.
Bold prediction, I actually see the Reds will be the worst performing Aussie team. With Tupou gone, they are seriously lacking.
I also think that Thorn's coaching might be getting a bit stale. While I don't think they'll be at the bottom, I do think they'll regress from the past couple of years.

Incidentally, Brumbies have 17 Wallabies on their books next year (and some no-names).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I also think that Thorn's coaching might be getting a bit stale. While I don't think they'll be at the bottom, I do think they'll regress from the past couple of years.

Incidentally, Brumbies have 17 Wallabies on their books next year (and some no-names).
And a known, consistent system, the Ponies will be fine if they don't get trashed for injuries in the wrong spots, like 12 & props etc

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
FP, grandmother and sucking eggs etc, but I don’t expect the Brumbies to have prop problems worse than any others with Kaitau and Kaihea backing up Slipper and Ala'alatoa.

But wrong discussion on this thread.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP, grandmother and sucking eggs etc, but I don’t expect the Brumbies to have prop problems worse than any others with Kaitau and Kaihea backing up Slipper and Ala'alatoa.

But wrong discussion on this thread.
Tahs were down to their third choice THP and were scratching around club land for the bench (bringing it back to the thread)

Props
Angus Bell (Sydney University), Tiaan Taukipulu (Randwick), Te Tera Faulkner (Southern Districts), Harry Johnson-Holmes (Sydney University), Tom Lambert (Sydney University), Archer Holz (Eastern Suburbs)

Tahs lose both Bell & HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and bench will survive starting, but the 5th & 6th choice options .................................

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seu will start as one lock surely. I think Holloway is probably the better lock over Hanigan (bulkier) and was very good there this year.

3rd lock, not sure, could be Hanigan off the bench but geez finishing with Holloway and Hanigan as locks is a good way to get destroyed late in tight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seu will start as one lock surely. I think Holloway is probably the better lock over Hanigan (bulkier) and was very good there this year.

3rd lock, not sure, could be Hanigan off the bench but geez finishing with Holloway and Hanigan as locks is a good way to get destroyed late in tight.

We need Seu to be good.

Cridge was solid last year and fit that role of a big bodied lock but he wasn't better overall than Hanigan even though more suitable to the side for balance.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just checked Samoa's last line-ups. In their most recent match v Romania, Seu played 6 :oops:

He started at lock against Georgia and was the bench lock v Italy. It's good that he's a mainstay in the Samoan 23. Their pack has some decent quality in it (Vui, Fritz Lee, McFarland, Gray, Taufua etc.)

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Definitely he has the size to play there (2,02 m) he's taller than Holloway (1,96 m) and Hanigan (1,96 m).

I should have watched carefully the Samoan test matches

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tahs First team looks a little like this IMHO if all fit:

1 Bell
2 Porecki
3 HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4 Hanigan
5 Holloway
6 Swinton
7 Hooper/Gamble
8 Harris
9 Gordon
10 Donaldson
11 Nawanitawase
12 Foketi
13 Perese
14 Pietsch
15 Beale

16 Latu
17 Faulkner
18 Holz
19 Sinclair
20 Gleeson
21 Wilson
22 Edmed
23 Nadolo

Could do a bit of swapping there but I reckon that is alright.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

1 Bell
2 Porecki
3 HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4 Hanigan
5 Holloway
6 Swinton
7 Hooper/Gamble
8 Harris
9 Gordon
10 Donaldson
11 Nawanitawase
12 Foketi
13 Perese
14 Pietsch
15 Beale

16 Latu
17 Faulkner
18 Holz
19 Sinclair
20 Gleeson
21 Wilson
22 Edmed
23 Nadolo

Would of thought Harrison edges Edmed for the bench spot, offers a bit more positional cover.

Who out of Hooper, Gamble and Gleeson are you dropping if they're all fit?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Would of thought Harrison edges Edmed for the bench spot, offers a bit more positional cover.

Gleeson, probably.

Harrison perhaps but I'm concerned about physicality on defense.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Not a bad problem to have though is it. I'd be curious if they manage Hoopers workload this season.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Prediction - Harrison Goddard to do rather well this season
I agree. DC definitely knows how to use him, and he has a good kicking game. Think he will be ahead of Wilson to start the season off the season being older and more experienced.

Plenty of competition for spots which is a strange feeling. With the inevitable injuries and potential resting of player with the RWC the team is in great shape.

I know Joey Walton is back and I do think Edmed could play 12 but if there are injuries to Foketi & Perese it could be limiting to the team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know Joey Walton is back and I do think Edmed could play 12 but if there are injuries to Foketi & Perese it could be limiting to the team.
Prior to Walton's injury I thought he was the most complete text book 12 in the country, but Foteki demonstrated this year a running game I didn't think was in him, I can't see Edmed playing 12 without a lot of injuries

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

1 Bell
2 Porecki
3 HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4 Hanigan
5 Holloway
6 Swinton
7 Hooper/Gamble
8 Harris
9 Gordon
10 Donaldson
11 Nawanitawase
12 Foketi
13 Perese
14 Pietsch
15 Beale

16 Latu
17 Faulkner
18 Holz
19 Sinclair
20 Gleeson
21 Wilson
22 Edmed
23 Nadolo

I'd swap Beale for Harrison. Beale was absolutely shocking right before he left us last and that was years ago. Prefer to bet on the young kid.