• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
https://www.news.com.au/finance/rea...9/news-story/90c774aa7e929d539ba5fa3bd1421320

Now doesn't mean much, might not even live in it but if he was going to go to rugby - surely it's Tahs or nothing.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
https://www.news.com.au/finance/rea...9/news-story/90c774aa7e929d539ba5fa3bd1421320

Now doesn't mean much, might not even live in it but if he was going to go to rugby - surely it's Tahs or nothing.
It's never going to happen. He has the same manager who leaks Tahs rumours for every league player who goes off-contract.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's never going to happen. He has the same manager who leaks Tahs rumours for every league player who goes off-contract.
Eh? I mean there are good signs.

- He signed with Roosters over Souths for 650k less just because Souths didn't allow a get-out clause
- He chose Samoa over Kangaroos and stated the opportunity to represent Australia wasn't closed. Specifically didn't say Kangaroos.
- House purchase in Eastern Sydney...
- Tedesco is urging Roosters to re-sign him before current contract is over, Roosters will want to keep Joey Manu too, both would command nearly 1 million and Sua'ali'i doesn't really fit in there unless he plays wing? or centre? RA could offer him more and fullback.
- Lions tour in 2025 and home RWC 2 years later is enticing.
- He had the opportunity to come to rugby for 2023 but could RA offer with no Super Rugby deal or PE deal signed? We now have the Super Rugby deal signed and likely PE soon. RA could table a more secure offer now.
- FWIW I don't think he or his manager has actually leaked any rumours to rugby, it's all people like me or journos stating rugby wants him.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Eh? I mean there are good signs.

- He signed with Roosters over Souths who didn't allow a get-out clause
- He chose Samoa over Kangaroos and stated the opportunity to represent Australia wasn't closed. Specifically didn't say Kangaroos.
- House purchase in Eastern Sydney...
- Tedesco is urging Roosters to re-sign him before current contract is over, Roosters will want to keep Joey Manu too, both would command nearly 1 million and Sua'ali'i doesn't really fit in there unless he plays wing? or centre? Rugby Australia could offer him more and fullback.
- Lions tour in 2025 and home RWC 2 years later is enticing.
- He had the opportunity to come to rugby for 2023 but could Rugby Australia offer with no Super Rugby deal or private equity deal signed? We now have the Super Rugby deal signed and likely private equity soon. Rugby Australia could table a more secure offer now.
- FWIW I don't think he or his manager has actually leaked any rumours to rugby, it's all people like me or journos stating rugby wants him.
Do we need him? We have gun outside backs and hed hardly solve our fullback issues. No way to know if he can add those skills to his game. Bit of a gamble for a poor union.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes, he's a freak athlete. He could be better than Folau given he has a playmaking background. What skills does he need to add? He played rugby at school. He seems like a good kid - I don't think he's a gamble at all.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, he's a freak athlete. He could be better than Folau given he has a playmaking background. What skills does he need to add? He played rugby at school. He seems like a good kid - I don't think he's a gamble at all.
No idea what his kicking game is like. Positional awareness. Decision making.

NRL and Union fullbacks are completely different beasts.

Folau was a beast but he was never a rounded fullback.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As far as I can work out Sua'ali'i played Firsts at King's in year 10 and then sat out rugby in years 11 and 12 to play junior league. Not a good look.

Happy to be corrected.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
As far as I can work out Sua'ali'i played Firsts at King's in year 10 and then sat out rugby in years 11 and 12 to play junior league. Not a good look.

Happy to be corrected.
Year 9 actually. He signed a professional contract with a sporting body and like any paying kid at the school he had the right not to play rugby. Neither he nor the school were happy that an outside influence forced that decision on him. You can trust me that he loved playing rugby and I feel he will again.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Waratahs/NSW Rugby new facility looks due to officially open soon, finishing touches been done by looks. Existing demountable have begun dismantling.
895D55CE-182E-4FA5-8F73-35295313A3E0.jpeg

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I am pretty sure that Rugby Australia would only sign him on a long term contract. There would be no point otherwise.
Could end up like the Vunivalu deal! What a complete an utter waste of money that was.. how do young guys at the Reds play with the bloke when they are more deserving of an increased contract and he is on huge money and either injured or looking completely uninterested. Apparently he is a poor trainer too. He should hand back his money and go back to NRL.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
His training needs to be managed more than its poor by him. Sounds like the Storm had a program for him that had him play almost every game.

Reds need to look at what they are doing. Not all players are built the same and a good S&C know that and need to Head Coach and Assistants to accept and allow that.