• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Happens every bloody year Reg and I don't really understand it. Been a tahs fan forever but this pre-season bullish stuff leaves me cold.
If you're not excited about the season at this stage - either as player or fan - then you'd have to be pretty cold. Of course everyone's enthusiastic, I'm sure that's the case in every team.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's all the non-Waratahs fans getting in here and saying how good the Waratahs are going to be so they can then say they underperformed later.

We've got about 5 players in our best 23 who aren't likely to be available to start the season. Hardly ideal.
Mate, you can’t claim both the pre-season championship and the underdog status. It’s too late to shift now.

Anything less then an undefeated season and Super Rugby Championship would be a failure given the roster, coaching team and brand new $20million facilities the Tahs have.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Big daddy:
20230126-210028.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a shame he got injured in 2021 because he had an absolute cracker of a season after the first covid break in 2020. I remember that game against the Reds at the SCG, he would've ran for close to 200m. He never really got to kick on from there, they still should've kept him but I disagree it's Beale that caused his exit - it's Nadolo.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's a shame he got injured in 2021 because he had an absolute cracker of a season after the first covid break in 2020. I remember that game against the Reds at the SCG, he would've ran for close to 200m. He never really got to kick on from there, they still should've kept him but I disagree it's Beale that caused his exit - it's Nadolo.
I don't know, seems pretty clear that Ramm wants to play fullback and having Beale signed clearly to play there was a contributing factor, more so than Nadolo:
Ramm’s departure from Australia and his strong form of late has raised eyebrows across the rugby landscape.

It’s understood the Waratahs had offered him a multi-year, six-figure deal to stay at the franchise.

However, wanting to play fullback and recognising the developing depth in the outside backs, Ramm decided to up and go.

The Waratahs, meanwhile, are trying to settle on their fullback with 95-capped Wallaby Kurtley Beale to miss at least the start of the season as he prepares to face court for an alleged sexual assault on December 17.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's still a winger, he went over to Saints as a winger and has only played there currently.

Nadolo was a wing import, Beale is a multi-positional player, I don't see how it's more so Beale over Nadolo. Regardless and without hindsight, Beale is still the much better buy over Nadolo.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He's still a winger, he went over to Saints as a winger and has only played there currently.

Nadolo was a wing import, Beale is a multi-positional player, I don't see how it's more so Beale over Nadolo. Regardless and without hindsight, Beale is still the much better buy over Nadolo.
Didn’t he start at 15 yesterday?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah you're right he did but I think that's the first time and only because Furbank played 10 as they've got injuries at 10 currently.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Positional transition like that takes time, but he now has 4 of his 11 starts with Northampton at fullback, including the most recent one. It's something he's clearly working towards so I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest an experienced fullback being added to the tahs squad had a greater influence on his decision than a impact winger/centre, particularly given Ramm's departure (April 28) was announced a couple of months after Beale's signing (February 20) and 3-4 months before Nadolo's (August 9). If anything it appears the talk with Nadolo ramped up once Ramm had signed with Northampton.