• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
@rodha has brought his big pot & spoon out over the last week.
More like I'm simply pouring fuel over the flames of the toxic dumpster fire that is Australian rugby, not even Eddie will be able to extinguish it - in fact his appointment is more akin to throwing a bunch of Firecrackers in there (to at least turn it into a spectacle to watch....)!!!

A rather fitting analogy - considering Eddie's tenures always start with a "BANG" and end in a "FIZzle.............."

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
No replacement for Beale from outside the tahs wider playing group:

I don't think this rules out elevating someone like Jorgenson from the wider playing group though, probably a significant boost to his chances.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Huge boost. Becomes likely we will see him at some point through the year now.

I hope Harrison was always going to start at 15 but it means Max is likely only 1 injury/rest out of the match day squad. Only thing to hold him back may be that he seems to me like a pure Fullback so a starting debut it would have to be.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Also, do we know if this sort of thing has a time limit. I understand in the NRL you have to use your top 30 squad exclusively up until round 10 or something like that.

Feels a bit shit that if the Tahs wanted to bring in a Shute Shield player or use a guy like Turner in the 7s if available they would be blocked. Don't we want the Club scene to produce talent and be able to have them turn out in Blue if good enough.

I understand Salary Caps and teams would try and exploit but there should be an avenue for this.

Tahs designed their squad structure can be the argument against it I guess.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Totally agree. Bit shit if we can’t introduce a player from our own comp or 7s.
That being said, We also have Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Pietsch and Nadolo as wingers. If we push Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) to fb we still have 2 quality winger’s starting. That’s obviously if he goes to fb. On the other hand we could utilize all three of Edmed, Donaldson and Harrison in the 23. Without Beale we can manage workloads of these guys easier in my opinion. In this case We can ease in Jorgensen and hopefully another younger outside back into the fold gradually.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I could only imagine he’d be an “in case of emergency, break glass” situation and even then it’d have to be a big emergency.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I would say Harrison is the starting 15. Donaldson may be used there with Edmed at 10 and then Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) a development option at 15 before Jorgenson would be put in the jersey.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Putting Jorgensen in a Super side first year out of school's a very good way to jeopardise a promising career. Max SHOULD play a coupla seasons of grade while training with the Tahs.
Good enough, old enough. He's hardly the first to play a year out of school.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Totally agree. Bit shit if we can’t introduce a player from our own comp or 7s.
That being said, We also have Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Pietsch and Nadolo as wingers. If we push Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) to fb we still have 2 quality winger’s starting. That’s obviously if he goes to fb. On the other hand we could utilize all three of Edmed, Donaldson and Harrison in the 23. Without Beale we can manage workloads of these guys easier in my opinion. In this case We can ease in Jorgensen and hopefully another younger outside back into the fold gradually.
As I understand Harrison's injury, he wasn't due to be available till well into the season. So currently we can only play Edmed and Donaldson together. That sounds to me like Edmed at 10, Donaldson at 15 and Nawaqanitawase to move from 14 in case of injury, with Nadolo coming on to the wing. Some time in the season you might want to give Jorgensen 10 minutes in one or two games just to whet his appetite, but he is definitely a 2024 and beyond prospect.

Does anyone have good information on when Harrison is likely to return?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
We seem to have plenty of options in the backline if everyone’s fit, seems bringing Beale back wasn’t really that necessary. As others have said, the Tahs should’ve looked at bringing a locking option (with RA top up) back from OS.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We seem to have plenty of options in the backline if everyone’s fit, seems bringing Beale back wasn’t really that necessary. As others have said, the Tahs should’ve looked at bringing a locking option (with Rugby Australia top up) back from OS.

All about availability.

Beale was keen to come back with a significant paycut to try and make the RWC squad. On paper it was a pretty good signing.

He's obviously stuffed that up as well as the Waratahs, RA and everyone that has anything to do with him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn’t want to see him gas out Fullback. I think he’s better used in the Centers with his power game. He also seems a lot more physically built up since his time at the Reds.

I’m comfortable with their cover currently.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t recall him every playing fullback for the Reds, at least he didn’t start there but maybe he shifted with injury or came off the bench into the position.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Dunno how reliable the stats are at all.rugby
Screenshot_20230131_193649_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: gel