• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Putting Jorgensen anywhere near a comp team at this stage of his development is sheer madness. He's nowhere near physically up to the challenge.
Problem is these kids are raring to go and often get dismayed if they can't get a chance.

Someone should get Jack Maddocks on the phone with him. He's recently commented in the press he was rushed into Super / the Wallabies before he was physically ready for it.

The message probably is probably stronger when it comes from another current player.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's tricky isn't it?

We've heard from Crichton who said the Waratahs didn't want him playing straight away and it caused him to go to the NRL.
(I do realise Jorgenson is likely on a better deal than Crichton was offered but still - the point stands).

If he's ready, he's ready. I don't think age is a factor. There probably are players who were rushed too early, Maddocks/Kellaway etc. but there were also ones who were ready and were fine, Horne, JOC (James O'Connor), Petaia, Turner, Beale etc.

Don't think it's one case fits all.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The big question though is whether he is actually ready or whether the Tahs are going to have to throw him in because injuries to Perese, Pietsch, Walton & Harrison and the stand down of Beale leave the Tahs light in the outside backs.

The other question is how much did age play a part in the ongoing injury issues of guys like Horne, Petaia & CFS?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
The big question though is whether he is actually ready or whether the Tahs are going to have to throw him in because injuries to Perese, Pietsch, Walton & Harrison and the stand down of Beale leave the Tahs light in the outside backs.

The other question is how much did age play a part in the ongoing injury issues of guys like Horne, Petaia & CFS?
Injuries cannot be avoided but Beale… as a senior player and does what he does… as a coach you’d just shake your head and say… ‘Give me strength‘ !

Alex Ross (28)
Mosese showed some good stuff. Could do worse than having him in the centres and Perese filling in for Pietsch on the wing if needed. More physically developed than Max

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Hooper isn't effective in collisions at test level, McReight is the same, they are too lightweight. The game is now too skewed towards heavier players who can dominate at the ruck, in tight, defensively and get you over the gain-line. It's the reality of international rugby today because of the laws, the game doesn't reward the nimbler fitter mobile players, it only rewards players who can dominate collisions.

You can't compare apples with oranges. Let me see where are the superheavies openside flankers at test level:

Siya Kolisi 105 kg
Ardie Savea 99 kg
Sam Cane 103 kg
Pablo Matera 109 kg
Sam Underhill 103 kg
Ben Curry 106 kg
Michael Hooper 101 kg
Fraser McReight 102 kg
Hamish Watson 102 kg
Anthony Jelonch 105 kg
Josh Van der flier 106 kg
Justin Tipuric 102 kg

Where are the 130 kg openside flankers like Henry Tuilagi?

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
You can't compare apples with oranges. Let me see where are the superheavies openside flankers at test level:

Siya Kolisi 105 kg
Ardie Savea 99 kg
Sam Cane 103 kg
Pablo Matera 109 kg
Sam Underhill 103 kg
Ben Curry 106 kg
Michael Hooper 101 kg
Fraser McReight 102 kg
Hamish Watson 102 kg
Anthony Jelonch 105 kg
Josh Van der flier 106 kg
Justin Tipuric 102 kg

Where are the 130 kg openside flankers like Henry Tuilagi?
Could you possibly do this again, but with height?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Could you possibly do this again, but with height?

You are welcome

Siya Kolisi 105 kg 1,87 m
Ardie Savea 99 kg 1,88 m
Sam Cane 103 kg 1,89 m
Pablo Matera 109 kg 1,93 m
Sam Underhill 103 kg 1,85 m
Ben Curry 106 kg 1,85 m
Michael Hooper 101 kg 1,82 m
Fraser McReight 102 kg 1,84 m
Hamish Watson 102 kg 1,85 m
Anthony Jelonch 105 kg 1,95 m
Josh Van der flier 106 kg 1,86 m
Justin Tipuric 102 kg 1,88 m

Bonus track - Waratahs backrow

Lachie Swinton 108 kg 1,95 m
Will Harris 107 kg 1,94 m
Ned Hanigan 110 kg 1,94 m
Langi Gleeson 106 kg 1,88 m
Charlie Gamble 104 kg 1,85 m

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know of a few NRL players who would often joke about how much they had inflated their height/weight stats.

Maybe we should have a televised weigh-in at the start of the season like boxing does

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
You are welcome

Siya Kolisi 105 kg 1,87 m
Ardie Savea 99 kg 1,88 m
Sam Cane 103 kg 1,89 m
Pablo Matera 109 kg 1,93 m
Sam Underhill 103 kg 1,85 m
Ben Curry 106 kg 1,85 m
Michael Hooper 101 kg 1,82 m
Fraser McReight 102 kg 1,84 m
Hamish Watson 102 kg 1,85 m
Anthony Jelonch 105 kg 1,95 m
Josh Van der flier 106 kg 1,86 m
Justin Tipuric 102 kg 1,88 m

Bonus track - Waratahs backrow

Lachie Swinton 108 kg 1,95 m
Will Harris 107 kg 1,94 m
Ned Hanigan 110 kg 1,94 m
Langi Gleeson 106 kg 1,88 m
Charlie Gamble 104 kg 1,85 m
I was surprised to see Hanigan heavier than Swinton, google has Swinton at 112kg and Hanigan at 114kg!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was surprised to see Hanigan heavier than Swinton, google has Swinton at 112kg and Hanigan at 114kg!

I don't trust any of those stats, there are always dubious

I remember an Adam Freier (a guy always under weight) before weigh-ins talking about demolishing as much water as possible to show those extra kgs whilst others would be staving themselves prior to the weigh in before heading out to KFC afterwards

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hanigan is deceptively large. I wouldn't be surprised if he's slightly heavier than Swinton.

Swinton has a big head which makes him look bigger than he is. :p

Ned's secret is the "extra body" shampoo he uses on that luscious head of hair of his. Adds a few kilos there

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I know of a few NRL players who would often joke about how much they had inflated their height/weight stats.

Maybe we should have a televised weigh-in at the start of the season like boxing does
It's irrelevant to this discussion. Let's take as a premise that everyone is lying. All increase 5 kg and 5 cms, the different between them remains the same