• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Decent performance would help revenue. Edmed kicks that easy one post the bell vs the Highlanders and the droppy vs the Drua, and things would be looking slightly upbeat.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Decent performance would help revenue. Edmed kicks that easy one post the bell vs the Highlanders and the droppy vs the Drua, and things would be looking slightly upbeat.
Aside from the fact that it's last year's annual report, Edmed is kicking at something like 85% for the season, I'm not sure you can pull out the "if only he'd made a couple of kicks" line. It's more a case of how much further behind the tahs would be looking if he was kicking at a more average 75%.

Cockatoo Run

Herbert Moran (7)
Aside from the fact that it's last year's annual report, Edmed is kicking at something like 85% for the season, I'm not sure you can pull out the "if only he'd made a couple of kicks" line. It's more a case of how much further behind the tahs would be looking if he was kicking at a more average 75%.

Good kicking percentage but on Friday they had a pen 30m out next to the posts and opted for goal. Then ithe ref changed the mark and moved it to 10-15m in from touch and they changed to kick to the corner. Not exactly confidence in the kicker.

Unfortunately for Tane, no matter how well he kicks everyone knows our other 10 is a better goal kicker.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good kicking percentage but on Friday they had a pen 30m out next to the posts and opted for goal. Then ithe ref changed the mark and moved it to 10-15m in from touch and they changed to kick to the corner. Not exactly confidence in the kicker.

Unfortunately for Tane, no matter how well he kicks everyone knows our other 10 is a better goal kicker.

Edmed is a good goal kicker. He has been all season.

The decision of kicking for the corner vs kicking for goal based on the penalty location is absolutely an analytics decision. Even if the success percentage might only be 5% lower where the penalty was moved to they've decided that in a neutral game situation they'll kick for the corner there.

I don't think it really says anything about the level of confidence in the goal kicker.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Edmed might be a good goal kicker, but his general tactical kicking is poor, barely Super Rugby standard let alone Test standard

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Is Donaldson more reliable than Gordon?
I think they are similar but he seems - on face value - to have done more goalkicking over the journey and therefore have a greater body of work. I guess you could then argue he has reached his level and Gordon could still get better? I prefer Gordon on the field to Donaldson, to be clear. I also prefer Lynagh to Donaldson, but perhaps had in my head that Donno was a much better kicker than he is.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think they are similar but he seems - on face value - to have done more goalkicking over the journey and therefore have a greater body of work. I guess you could then argue he has reached his level and Gordon could still get better? I prefer Gordon on the field to Donaldson, to be clear. I also prefer Lynagh to Donaldson, but perhaps had in my head that Donno was a much better kicker than he is.
yeah I was being a bit facetious in my question, Donaldson is definitely more reliable in that he never does Gordon's bizarre in front misses but for 2024 season they have the exact same percentage.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)

A shame to see 2 quality young players heading OS but I don't really blame them. Hopefully they go away and improve and come home again one day bigger and better players. Unlikely for Tuipulotu who will likely align himself with Scotland but not an impossibility.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
How many MORE frontrowers should they have contracted before the start of the season? Contracting is not the problem for the front row this year - S&C might be.
More than they had - when you have 4 or 5 backs playing Shute Shield each week, you know you have the balance wrong.

I don't doubt S&C was a problem across the squad also.

Love2Scrum

Darby Loudon (17)
A shame to see 2 quality young players heading OS but I don't really blame them. Hopefully they go away and improve and come home again one day bigger and better players. Unlikely for Tuipulotu who will likely align himself with Scotland but not an impossibility.
I actually thought either of this two young players would have replaced Izaia Perese