• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Right then, so no longer able to sign any players on potential. Without hindsight, that's no Max Jorgenson.

Angus Bell? you can fuck off too, doubt you were our best loosehead the day you left school.
Well, the good thing is that Slack-Smith will be playing Shute Shield next year, so we'll see if he really is the worst 7 going around in Sydney. I doubt it. Does he have a connection with a Shute Shield team already?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Warringah Junior I believe. They could definetely use him. Went to Barker which is generally a Gordon catchment but I'd say Rats.

Could be anyone tbh I don't know how it works anymore if the Tahs have a say or its highest bidder.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Any news on Archie Saunders, he was supposedly the best player along with Jorgensen from the class of 22.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Well, the good thing is that Slack-Smith will be playing Shute Shield next year, so we'll see if he really is the worst 7 going around in Sydney. I doubt it. Does he have a connection with a Shute Shield team already?
No one said he is the worst. Just others are better currently. If club land is meant to be a feeder system then use it. If not be open about and don’t give it the DC club connection line.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Any news on Archie Saunders, he was supposedly the best player along with Jorgensen from the class of 22.
Still might. Max has been a real outlier to perform at Super Rugby the way he has so quickly. I know I didn't expect it and thought we might get a few appearances towards the end of the year. I know KBs off the field issues had something to do with this but he beat out Dowling and forced Donaldson to 10...

Didn't see Saunders at the U20s but it was a group with guys a year ahead of him like Annan, Vaihu and O'Donnell who all look pretty sharp and I expect to be in Super Rugby for a while.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Still might. Max has been a real outlier to perform at Super Rugby the way he has so quickly. I know I didn't expect it and thought we might get a few appearances towards the end of the year. I know KBs off the field issues had something to do with this but he beat out Dowling and forced Donaldson to 10...

Didn't see Saunders at the U20s but it was a group with guys a year ahead of him like Annan, Vaihu and O'Donnell who all look pretty sharp and I expect to be in Super Rugby for a while.
He should be eligible next year right?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He should be eligible next year right?
Hope so. Those other Centres won't be there
No one said he is the worst. Just others are better currently. If club land is meant to be a feeder system then use it. If not be open about and don’t give it the DC club connection line.
The SS is a good system for the Waratahs to be able to look at in their own region. But, the NSW Waratahs are a professional team and not the rep team for the SS.

You don't have to play SS to be picked for the Waratahs. Players will align with a club once at the Tahs but it bares no impact on their contract or eligibility. It would be negligent of the Waratahs to not be looking globally for players. If DC and the other coaches have made a decision that Slack-Smith is the best option (value & development) then so be it. We all have opinions on players.

More players have participated in Club footy over the last 2 years then they have for many years (besides Uni running out entire XVs of pros). That comes from a club connection. Players like Vailanu, Goddard, Marolt, Icely, Ward, Botha earnt a spot through Club footy. There is a reason some SS players have been there for a while. That might be their level. Plenty of other teams around the world have a look also and haven't deemed them worthy of a contract.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Jake Gordon's petit sojourn to Toulon has been cancelled due to sustaining a "4-8 week concussion". Rough. When did this happen? In the Tonga game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Think the tahs would like to win currently not potentially win in the future

Every professional sporting team in the world is structured like this with the squad being a mix of the best available and young players that are being developed.

It isn't a captive market such that you just sign the best players for this immediate season with no forward planning because then you miss out on the bulk of the future stars.

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
Hunter has been one of, if not the best back rower in the Shute Shield for the past two years. Its definitely the wrong message for aspiring players in the comp. At this point, the SS is just a feeder for the MLR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To circle back on this, where is the news that Hunter Ward is leaving the Tahs? He didn't have a contract for 2023 but also isn't listed as a departure anywhere I can see.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That's got to be a bad one to already be told 4-8 weeks. Maybe the Tahs put the word on him to be right for Pre Season? They did take their time with Hanigan during the year as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How good is our new recruit Vuate Karawalevu?
At least he looks shape
How has he looked for West Harbour?

"The 22-year-old recently joined West Harbour after news filtered out that he had joined the Waratahs."