• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
These two giant locks playing under 16s or whatever it is, sound promising. Etsebeth and Retallick both represented their country at 19. Just saying (or hoping).

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Really waiting for a signing announcement that feels like it strengthens the group over maintaining the standard. Grant is OK, that's about it. We're in trouble if he's seeing a lot of meaningful minutes.

Hanigan & Harrison are the only ones I'm really happy about right now. (I assumed Wilson was retained already). Thought Hanigan showed some real grunt towards the back end of last season and might be coming into a couple seasons of prime. Harrison is still all upside for me. He can't cost that much and he's shown glimpses of the talent that has been promised. Gives the squad flexibility through 10/15.

Lee-Warner if announced will be a good one. Better than some kiwi who can't get a job.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Really waiting for a signing announcement that feels like it strengthens the group over maintaining the standard. Grant is OK, that's about it. We're in trouble if he's seeing a lot of meaningful minutes.

Hanigan & Harrison are the only ones I'm really happy about right now. (I assumed Wilson was retained already). Thought Hanigan showed some real grunt towards the back end of last season and might be coming into a couple seasons of prime. Harrison is still all upside for me. He can't cost that much and he's shown glimpses of the talent that has been promised. Gives the squad flexibility through 10/15.

Lee-Warner if announced will be a good one. Better than some kiwi who can't get a job.

I thought FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) had been confirmed? If not, that'll definitely be one of the announcements coming up. Surely THP is top of the hit list.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Announcements I really want to see are a third hooker, a genuine lock and a back three player. The need for a third hooker goes without saying. Our only genuine lock with real size is Amatosero, a 21 year-old new signing with great potential but no Super rugby experience. All our other locks, Holloway, Hanigan, Sinclair, Lee-Warner are lock/six hybrids, you can perhaps play one of them at lock, but IMO must be paired with a genuine lock. We are also pretty light on for back three players. Our top three of Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), Peitsch and Jorgensen are pretty good, but after that you have a utility in Wilson, and are one or two injuries short of a real problem. There are stop-gap measures like Harrison at 15 or Perese on the wing, but I wouldn't have thought you would be wanting to do that for a long stretch of matches.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
I know it's been raised but it baffles me that the Tahs didn't send over some of their younger players, in need of game time, over to the NPC. Assuming there were spots for them somewhere - Edmed, Harrison, T. Wilson, Tuipolotu - could've all done with valuable playing experience. All they've been doing is training and the odd promotional shoot. FFS.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know it's been raised but it baffles me that the Tahs didn't send over some of their younger players, in need of game time, over to the NPC. Assuming there were spots for them somewhere - Edmed, Harrison, T. Wilson, Tuipolotu - could've all done with valuable playing experience. All they've been doing is training and the odd promotional shoot. FFS.
A deal with one of the NPC sides would make sense (for each Super Rugby sides) even the Super Rugby "tours" at this time of year are just 2 or 3 games, they all need more playing time

Agent

Bill Watson (15)

Which, if any, Tahs are over having a run in the NPC? It is bloody good hard rugby. I agree it would be invaluable experience.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Announcements I really want to see are a third hooker, a genuine lock and a back three player. The need for a third hooker goes without saying. Our only genuine lock with real size is Amatosero, a 21 year-old new signing with great potential but no Super rugby experience. All our other locks, Holloway, Hanigan, Sinclair, Lee-Warner are lock/six hybrids, you can perhaps play one of them at lock, but IMO must be paired with a genuine lock. We are also pretty light on for back three players. Our top three of Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Peitsch and Jorgensen are pretty good, but after that you have a utility in Wilson, and are one or two injuries short of a real problem. There are stop-gap measures like Harrison at 15 or Perese on the wing, but I wouldn't have thought you would be wanting to do that for a long stretch of matches.
Announcement I’d like to see is Jason Gilmore as head coach. Coleman needs to vastly improve his tactics and win rate otherwise it’s adios buster.