• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Edmed will get the start.

But with a lot of others that also featured for Aus A like Holz they were pretty unimpressive in the following year.

Wilson should get plenty of time. If we see much of Jack Grant we’re in deep shit.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think it will be good for Edmed to get some consistent starts. Feels like he hasnt had a lot of time to prove himself while competing with donaldson.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I am really looking forward to the battle for the 10 spot. I agree, Edmed starts in front, Bowen will hopefully get his chance to show whether he's at this level yet, but let's not forget Will Harrison. IMO he was our best 10 prior to injury, it will be interesting to see how he comes back. He's had a bad couple of seasons with injuries, who knows where he could be now if he could have stayed fit.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
On 9 Gordon as captain will be really hard to dislodge, but Wilson looks a great prospect. Grant is a good one to have around, he's never going to be a Wallaby, but he's quick to the breakdown, tidy, and throws a good pass.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The Tahs actually have the ability to bring through a 9,10 properly which is a rare thing.

If they don’t sort out the pack though we are all going to be saying the 9,10 are busts even though they are playing with crap ball.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
On 9 Gordon as captain will be really hard to dislodge, but Wilson looks a great prospect. Grant is a good one to have around, he's never going to be a Wallaby, but he's quick to the breakdown, tidy, and throws a good pass.
Yeah as much as I'd like to see Wilson come along, I'm not supposing he displace Jake. More than happy with Gordon as captain and starting halfback.

I did think it was a bit strange that we re-signed Grant in lieu of ensuring Teddy would outright take the role of second halfback in the 23 and look to develop further. Only that I think Grant is a good player and probably better than Goddard (i.e. could be Brumbies no.2 or backup to Lowrens in Melbourne) who will compete for the finishing role and could impair Wilson's development if he wins it.

In a different vein though competition only raises standards and selection shouldn't be unduly made on the basis of potential.

Also definitely not a bad thing to have depth in the position.

Last edited:

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah as much as I'd like to see Wilson come along, I'm not supposing he displace Jake. More than happy with Gordon as captain and starting halfback.

I did think it was a bit strange that we re-signed Grant in lieu of ensuring Teddy would outright take the role of second halfback in the 23 and look to develop further. Only that I think Grant is a good player and probably better than Goddard (i.e. could be Brumbies no.2 or backup to Lowrens in Melbourne) who will compete for the finishing role and could impair Wilson's development if he wins it.

In a different vein though competition only raises standards and selection shouldn't be unduly made on the basis of potential.

Also definitely not a bad thing to have depth in the position.
Or is that warehousing with the new regime.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
What are thoughts on Edmed at 12? Defensively sound and opportunity for a second playmaker with the riches already in the 10 jersey.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What are thoughts on Edmed at 12? Defensively sound and opportunity for a second playmaker with the riches already in the 10 jersey.
Foketi/Perese is a strong partnership at Super Rugby level. I think Edmed and Harrison will be 10/15.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Doesn’t like to play at the line. Normally sits very deep in the pocket. Also d not overly strong in tight. Fair in open

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd like to see

9 - Wilson
10 - Edmed
11 - Peitsch
12 - Foketi
13 - Perese
14 - Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
15 - Jorgensen

21 - Gordon
22 - Harrison
23 - Walton

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sounds like the days of Halangahu & Barnes when everyone was obsessed with a 2nd play maker.

A good 12 can direct an attack when needed and if you have a semi decent 15 you have multiple kicking options.

He gives them the ability to cover it in a match which could see Bowen used on the Bench to get more time.
Or is that warehousing with the new regime.
Are we really warehousing? One capped Wallaby in the position, one prospect and a journeyman for depth. Hardly the Brumbies and Hookers of 2022.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Derpus, I think Jorgensen is likely to retain 15 if he stays fit. I think it likely Harrison and Edmed will compete for 10, with the other off the bench and Bowen lokking for an injury opportunity. Hard to see Edmed starting at 12 with both Foketi and Walton available. Having said that, form, injury etc can quickly change it all, it rarely seems to all go exactly as you would expect.
The second row/back row will be interesting. You would have to think Holloway and Hanigan the likely locks, with Swinton 6, Gamble 7 and Gleeson 8, however if Amatosero (not sure of the spelling) steps up, you could have Hanigan, Swinton, Lee-Warner and Gleeson all competing for 6 and 8, with the versatile Sinclair always being a good bench option.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Derpus, I think Jorgensen is likely to retain 15 if he stays fit. I think it likely Harrison and Edmed will compete for 10, with the other off the bench and Bowen lokking for an injury opportunity. Hard to see Edmed starting at 12 with both Foketi and Walton available. Having said that, form, injury etc can quickly change it all, it rarely seems to all go exactly as you would expect.
The second row/back row will be interesting. You would have to think Holloway and Hanigan the likely locks, with Swinton 6, Gamble 7 and Gleeson 8, however if Amatosero (not sure of the spelling) steps up, you could have Hanigan, Swinton, Lee-Warner and Gleeson all competing for 6 and 8, with the versatile Sinclair always being a good bench option.
Oh yeah forgot about Jorgo and also Bowen.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Naisarani has joined the Tahs for a trial.

What happened him? He was a regular wallaby for a season, genuinely great player and now getting kicked around by clubs at age 28.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Naisarani has joined the Tahs for a trial.

What happened him? He was a regular wallaby for a while, genuinely great player and now getting kicked around by clubs at age 28.
Left for Japan I think and then got a long term injury. Must be pretty off the pace if the Force wern't interested.