• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He does. He also has potential to plateau and find the next step too big. A couple of years ago we had a boom group of youngster in the junior Wallabies. McReight, Harry Wilson, Hosea, Harris, Lolesio, Harrison, Lucas, Donaldson, Nawaqanitwase. It takes time for these guys to come through the system and there is no guarantee they will turn into the world beaters they may look like at 19/20.

Let’s give the kid some time.
Add in Bell and Frost as a couple of examples who made the step up to the top.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Looking for a market points or odds for rats v tahs and manly v tahs in the 17th feb. anyone game

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Round 1 line-up predictions? Are there any other long term injuries other than Harrison who should be pretty close to ready?

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Johnson-Holmes
4. Amatosero
5. Lee-Warner
6. Holloway
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Edmed
11. Pietsch
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Jorgensen

16. Lambert
17. Holz
18. Vailanu
19. Hanigan
20. Swinton
21. Wilson
22. Walton
23. Harrison (if fit) Tuipulotu otherwise

Struggled with the 2nd Row. I've gone the new guys as they are proper 2nd Rowers. Sinclair has done nothing wrong the last couple of years and is a work horse but it has been the area lacking big time. I also think it's a stretch to be starting Hanigan in the position.

Shoved Jed at 6 but could have just as easily been Swinton.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Cant see them starting Ama
Round 1 line-up predictions? Are there any other long term injuries other than Harrison who should be pretty close to ready?

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Johnson-Holmes
4. Amatosero
5. Lee-Warner
6. Holloway
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Edmed
11. Pietsch
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Jorgensen

16. Lambert
17. Holz
18. Vailanu
19. Hanigan
20. Swinton
21. Wilson
22. Walton
23. Harrison (if fit) Tuipulotu otherwise

Struggled with the 2nd Row. I've gone the new guys as they are proper 2nd Rowers. Sinclair has done nothing wrong the last couple of years and is a work horse but it has been the area lacking big time. I also think it's a stretch to be starting Hanigan in the position.

Shoved Jed at 6 but could have just as easily been Swinton.

Cant see them starting Amatosero, will need to get used to the pace of the game. Reckon Jed will start in the 2nd row with Swinton on the side.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With talk of Swinton leaving at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see him squeezed out by all the other 6ish backrowers in the squad. Might get a crack early but if he gets on the wrong side of the red he's going to look like more trouble than he's worth pretty quickly.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
With talk of Swinton leaving at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see him squeezed out by all the other 6ish backrowers in the squad. Might get a crack early but if he gets on the wrong side of the red he's going to look like more trouble than he's worth pretty quickly.
Round one playing it safe, Ned and Jed as the locks FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) as six. Three experience forwards and three very good line out options. Have Miles on the bench.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If your starting Lee-Warner wouldn't you rather him in the tight 5? He's a more pure player there than Ned & Jed who you are stretching it at Super Rugby.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
If your starting Lee-Warner wouldn't you rather him in the tight 5? He's a more pure player there than Ned & Jed who you are stretching it at Super Rugby.
Ned and Jed have played a lot of lock together and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) played his best footy at six for the Force. I believe to get off to the best start that combination would work best. As much as I appreciate what Swinton brings to the Tahs, I would rather have someone that is hanging around. As we get into the season we can try different combinations, maybe even use Gleeson at seven.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Swinton's form at the end of last year on the Barbarians tour was excellent. If he looks like he's in that sort of form again then he has to start in my view. I don't really care that he's not going to be here in 2025. Some of the guys who are only signed for this year won't be here next year either, we just don't know they're leaving yet.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hope we can just have Gamble with an uninterrupted run in the 7. I think he could find himself in the top 1-2 in the country if he gets back to the 2022 form.

Gleeson to cover if needed but it's definitely a secondary option. Gets a bit thin after them at 7 though with Slack-Smith an uncapped 20 year old. Durbidge played in the trials end the end of last year but surely we aren't going to see a kid just out of school actually get on... Incentive for the Shute Shield 7s to be firing.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hope we can just have Gamble with an uninterrupted run in the 7. I think he could find himself in the top 1-2 in the country if he gets back to the 2022 form.

Gleeson to cover if needed but it's definitely a secondary option. Gets a bit thin after them at 7 though with Slack-Smith an uncapped 20 year old. Durbidge played in the trials end the end of last year but surely we aren't going to see a kid just out of school actually get on... Incentive for the Shute Shield 7s to be firing.
Gleeson as starting eight and backup seven, allows the Tahs to have two big bodies as lock and six cover. The teams with the biggest benches seem to be the ones who finish stronger.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Swinton's form at the end of last year on the Barbarians tour was excellent. If he looks like he's in that sort of form again then he has to start in my view. I don't really care that he's not going to be here in 2025. Some of the guys who are only signed for this year won't be here next year either, we just don't know they're leaving yet.
While I agree that Swinton in form has to be considered for a start, I would prefer Hanigan at 6. For the last two years he has been pushed into the second row when his strengths are far more suited to 6. He has a huge motor that is not being utilised in tight and yet his play has been, to my eyes, outstanding. I think he still suffers in people's perception from being pushed too far too early and now everyone writes him off as a journeyman. But his play last year was way better than that.

[Incidently, I have the same concerns with what will happen to Tom Hooper in the next couple of years]

So, my team to start the year in the back five would be Holloway, Lee Warner, Hanigan, Gamble and Gleeson. Amatosero and Swinton on the bench. Then form, fitness and injury will play out over the season. Sinclair will no doubt get game time as attrition takes its toll.

Ghost has nominated Vailanu as THP and Holz as LHP, with Lambert at Hooker for the bench. This may just be an error, but perhaps he's read something I've missed somewhere. I am concerned about our depth at 17 and 18, I feel we really need to see some massive improvement this year compared to last when the bench comes on.

Last edited:

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
While I agree that Swinton in form has to be considered for a start, I would prefer Hanigan at 6. For the last two years he has been pushed into the second row when his strengths are far more suited to 6. He has a huge motor that is not being utilised in tight and yet his play has been, to my eyes, outstanding. I think he still suffers from being pushed too far too early and now everyone writes him off as a journeyman. But his play last year was way better than that.

So, my team to start the year in the back five would be Holloway, Lee Warner, Hanigan, Gamble and Gleeson. Amatosero and Swinton on the bench. Then form, fitness and injury will play out over the season. Sinclair will no doubt get game time as attrition takes its toll.

Ghost has nominated Vailanu as THP and Holz as LHP, with Lambert at Hooker. This may just be an error, but perhaps he's read something I've missed somewhere.
Hawko.... just noticed your quote.

Alan Gaffney: "put the ball in front, accelerate through the ball, put pace on the game".

I reckon players need to adopt this simple strategy more. Especially forwards off the ruck or maul. They usually get it standing still.

What do 'they' say .... do the simple things well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
While I agree that Swinton in form has to be considered for a start, I would prefer Hanigan at 6. For the last two years he has been pushed into the second row when his strengths are far more suited to 6. He has a huge motor that is not being utilised in tight and yet his play has been, to my eyes, outstanding. I think he still suffers in people's perception from being pushed too far too early and now everyone writes him off as a journeyman. But his play last year was way better than that.

[Incidently, I have the same concerns with what will happen to Tom Hooper in the next couple of years]

Ghost has nominated Vailanu as THP and Holz as LHP, with Lambert at Hooker for the bench. This may just be an error, but perhaps he's read something I've missed somewhere. I am concerned about our depth at 17 and 18, I feel we really need to see some massive improvement this year compared to last when the bench comes on.

Complete error on my part naming the bench. I’m sure we can figure out where they should be.

Hanigan is a much better player now than his first stint in Aus. Yet to see him dominate but he’s definitely one of those glue guys who get through a mountain of work.