• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If a player is killing it, they can get away with a lot, apparently Andrew Johns rarely trained when there was a good surf running
Was that only at the end of his career?

I once read that when he started out he was a very hard trainer, if everyone in the team ran 10 laps, he would run 11, if a goal kicker kicked 30 shots of practice, he would kick 31.
His theory was that he would be fitter and have better skills that anyone else he would play.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Was that only at the end of his career?

I once read that when he started out he was a very hard trainer, if everyone in the team ran 10 laps, he would run 11, if a goal kicker kicked 30 shots of practice, he would kick 31.
His theory was that he would be fitter and have better skills that anyone else he would play.
When Warren Ryan was on the ABC radio in Sydney, he was highly amused with John's post retirement comments on training work ethic suggesting (paraphrasing) "I wish he was like that when I coached him"

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lalakai Foketi may have picked up an injury on Saturday night, he's going for scans on his wrist on Monday. From:
Given that I thought his form in the trial was absolutely abysmal, and that more than half the reason the Reds ran untouched through the 10/12/13 channel was his positioning, I could see this injury as a positive rather than a negative.

Right now, on form so far, our best halves combination is Wilson, Bowen, Walton at 9, 10, 12.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Given that I thought his form in the trial was absolutely abysmal, and that more than half the reason the Reds ran untouched through the 10/12/13 channel was his positioning, I could see this injury as a positive rather than a negative.
You reckon Walton-Perese or Tuipuloto-Perese is going to be much tighter and better organised in the centres?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You reckon Walton-Perese or Tuipuloto-Perese is going to be much tighter and better organised in the centres?
I would phrase the question as "Could they possibly be looser?" In a team ratings where every player bar a couple would struggle to get above 5, I would have rated Foketi a 2. As a passing comment I would have rated the defence coach as less than zero.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)

Right now, on form so far, our best halves combination is Wilson, Bowen, Walton at 9, 10, 12.
What’s Walton done

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I would phrase the question as "Could they possibly be looser?" In a team ratings where every player bar a couple would struggle to get above 5, I would have rated Foketi a 2. As a passing comment I would have rated the defence coach as less than zero.
Perese has generally been the least organised or connected defender in that backline and Walton was flattened by Paisami for his try. Tuipuloto isn't bad but he also only has a handful of caps. I'm not saying the defence was at all good on the weekend, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think it'll get better without Foketi.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Tahs will be the top Aussie side this year.
nsfwgraph1.jpg

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Perese has generally been the least organised or connected defender in that backline and Walton was flattened by Paisami for his try. Tuipuloto isn't bad but he also only has a handful of caps. I'm not saying the defence was at all good on the weekend, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think it'll get better without Foketi.
Last year's Foketi I agree, this year's Foketi not so much.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Last year he was the best inside centre after Foketi for the Waratahs. Your judging him based on his last 2 performances in a position he doesn't usually play.
He was the only inside centre after Foketi wasn’t he?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't know if it was just Foketi, I thought our entire defence looked clueless. Communication between 12, 13 and the two wings seemed non-existent. Thee only positive for Foketi was he was the only one to cross the gain line with ball in hand.
As dismal as the defence was, it was the lack of posession that concerned me. Poor handling, a woeful lineout, penalties and mindless kicking seemed to ensure we only had about 25% of the football, and mostly in our half.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't know if it was just Foketi, I thought our entire defence looked clueless. Communication between 12, 13 and the two wings seemed non-existent. Thee only positive for Foketi was he was the only one to cross the gain line with ball in hand.
As dismal as the defence was, it was the lack of posession that concerned me. Poor handling, a woeful lineout, penalties and mindless kicking seemed to ensure we only had about 25% of the football, and mostly in our half.
Agree. It didn't look great, but I'm willing to have a bigger sample than the one streamed trial before I start writing players off. A lot of the Reds marque players looked pretty pedestrian in their first trial against The Force. I think a number of the Tag players like Foketi have a body of work that highlights that they're capable of much more than we saw in that trial game. Foketi was evolving into one of better centres in Australia in the last year or so, though I will say I've also been impressed by the glimpse of Stewart this year over at the Force in his trails so there might be some healthy competition this year for Wallaby spots.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think that is the game plan (Gordon running the game from 9)
Honestly I don't understand some of the comments about 9's overplaying their hands. A lot of teams play off 9 more than ever so it's not very unusual.

Even teams like Scotland with a world class fly-half like Finn Russell had Ben White passing the ball around 79 times to Russell's 25 passes. 9's have always been running the game in many ways.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree. It didn't look great, but I'm willing to have a bigger sample than the one streamed trial before I start writing players off. A lot of the Reds marque players looked pretty pedestrian in their first trial against The Force.

How do you feel about two big losses with their marquee players featuring in both?

IMG_5128.png