• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Is it though, there's a couple of monsters in the forward pack with Bell and Gleeson. I'm not tracking who is injured at the Tahs but the forward pack can be pretty close to a wallaby capped lineup, with the only exception been at 7 and that's probably only due to residency/test qualification.

In the backline, fullback might be a bit weak until Jorgensen is back but besides that there's enough strike power there, they just don't seem to be firing together but it is mostly the same team who played above expectation in 2022 isnt it?
Nawaqanitawase was also reasonably notable last year in some pretty ordinary Wallaby performances. I'm not sure where his head will be at with his pending shift to league but he is far from an unexciting player.

Agree fullback is a concern. Walton looks a little lost back there.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
We have no locks, one prop and a vastly overrated hooker. And, honestly, no decent flyhalf.

Any team with a half decent tight 5 pushes them around if they turn up. Have done for years.
I don't think Porecki is vastly overrated. I think Porecki is viewed by nearly everyone as the best of a bad bunch when it comes to Australian hookers. He's never great but there's no-one better.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
are looking relatively healthy on the injury front.

Players unavailable for selection:

David Porecki - Achillies (Round 1+)
Ned Hanigan - Hamstring (Round 1)
Fergus Lee-Warner - Ankle (Trial 3 – Round 1)
Hugh Sinclair - Calf (Round 2-4)
Will Harrison - Knee (Round 3)
Jack Grant - Calf (Round 1+)
Thomas Lambert - Knee (Trial 3)
Max Jorgensen - Ankle (Trial 3+)
Archer Holz - Shoulder (Round 8-9)
Tom Ross - Calf (Round 2-4)
Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
Izaia Perese – Ankle (Round 1)
Sione Misiloi – Suspension (3 weeks)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Nawaqanitawase was also reasonably notable last year in some pretty ordinary Wallaby performances. I'm not sure where his head will be at with his pending shift to league but he is far from an unexciting player.

Agree fullback is a concern. Walton looks a little lost back there.
Hope they’re keeping in contact with Dowling. With the 7s but he’d be useful right now.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Players unavailable for selection:

David Porecki - Achillies (Round 1+)
Ned Hanigan - Hamstring (Round 1)
Fergus Lee-Warner - Ankle (Trial 3 – Round 1)
Hugh Sinclair - Calf (Round 2-4)
Will Harrison - Knee (Round 3)
Jack Grant - Calf (Round 1+)
Thomas Lambert - Knee (Trial 3)
Max Jorgensen - Ankle (Trial 3+)
Archer Holz - Shoulder (Round 8-9)
Tom Ross - Calf (Round 2-4)
Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
Izaia Perese – Ankle (Round 1)
Sione Misiloi – Suspension (3 weeks)
I mean that’s not that bad, 7 of them listed are back by Rd 1, and I’d say some missing the trials are just due to caution anyway.

Porecki and Jorgensen are the two big losses if they aren’t fit by Rd 1

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
I mean that’s not that bad, 7 of them listed are back by Rd 1, and I’d say some missing the trials are just due to caution anyway.

Porecki and Jorgensen are the two big losses if they aren’t fit by Rd 1
Just need to be careful with Jorgensen - a MCL and Fibula injury in the same year [was it the same leg?] - can often lead to over compensating with different areas of the lower body; if his confidence remains - he should be good - let's hope so and we'll see soon if it will impact his ability.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Definitely rest them all until round 2 to be safe.

Angus Bell looked a bit ginger too I thought.

Reactions: dru

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking for a market Rats / marlins v Tahs
We need a fly half who can pass, kick, create space, split the defence and defend. New Zealand fly halves are the best at this, Mo'unga, Barret, Carter, Spencer to name a few. I see Will Harrison as the one with the most potential. I like Edmed but can't see him take the line on to many times and split the defence to create space and keep the opposition guessing. Until we find a decent flyhalf we don't have a chance even with a solid set of pigs. The 2014 team had a very solid forward pack with Foley and Beale at their prime. That is why we won the comp. Beale would of been handy last year if it wasn't for Buffy the Beale slayer.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
We need a fly half who can pass, kick, create space, split the defence and defend. New Zealand fly halves are the best at this, Mo'unga, Barret, Carter, Spencer to name a few. I see Will Harrison as the one with the most potential. I like Edmed but can't see him take the line on to many times and split the defence to create space and keep the opposition guessing. Until we find a decent flyhalf we don't have a chance even with a solid set of pigs. The 2014 team had a very solid forward pack with Foley and Beale at their prime. That is why we won the comp. Beale would have been handy last year if it wasn't for Buffy the Beale slayer.
Fuck sake it’s only club teams full of tradies and students. Also there first trial game.