• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Players unavailable for selection:

• David Porecki - Achillies (Round 3-4)
  • Ned Hanigan - Hamstring (Round 2-3)
  • Will Harrison - Knee (Round 3)
  • Thomas Lambert - Knee (Season)
  • Archer Holz - Shoulder (Round 8-9)
  • Tom Ross - Calf (Round 2-3)
  • Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
  • Sione Misiloi – Suspension (1 week)
  • Lachlan Swinton - Neck (Round 2+)
  • Triston Reilly - Ankle (Round 2-3)
  • Ned Slack-Smith - Neck (Round 2-3)
Lambert for the season is a blow. Swinton off again isn't great. Feel like 11 players, not mentioning some of the unlisted who I suspect of niggles is really not where we want to be at this point in the season.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Team named for Rd 1. Fairly solid, but if Edmed falls over we are in serious trouble both from a flyhalf and goal kicking perspective.... also very thin in the front row now with Lambert out for the year, Holz still months away and Ross out for the next few weeks...

WARATAHS (1-15): Angus Bell, Mahe Vailanu, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Jed Holloway, Miles Amatosero, Fergus Lee-Warner, Charlie Gamble, Langi Gleeson, Jake Gordon (c), Tane Edmed, Dylan Pietsch, Lalakai Foketi, Izaia Perese, Mark Nawaqanitawase, Joey Walton

RESERVES: Theo Fourie, Hayden Thompson-Stringer, Dan Botha, Sam Thomson, Hugh Sinclair, Teddy Wilson, Harry Wilson, Max Jorgensen

Players unavailable for selection:

• David Porecki - Achillies (Round 3-4)
  • Ned Hanigan - Hamstring (Round 2-3)
  • Will Harrison - Knee (Round 3)
  • Thomas Lambert - Knee (Season)
  • Archer Holz - Shoulder (Round 8-9)
  • Tom Ross - Calf (Round 2-3)
  • Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
  • Sione Misiloi – Suspension (1 week)
  • Lachlan Swinton - Neck (Round 2+)
  • Triston Reilly - Ankle (Round 2-3)
  • Ned Slack-Smith - Neck (Round 2-3)
Where's Tuipulotu? Not in the 23 and not in the injured list

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I imagine Wilson has been preferred because he covers more positions.
Not sure who goes to 10 if Edmed gets injured, either Walton or Foketi I guess
I was wondering the same re: 10. Going to miss having Donaldson in the mix with Harrison still looking awhile off yet.

Last edited:

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
Important game for Edmed this weekend. His trial form wasn’t great and with no real backup, he has to take the reins and really lead his team around the park. A lot of people on this forum really talk him up. Now’s the time to prove them right and really take ownership of the team and his position for the season ahead.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is there a reason a player like Woollett has never been trialled by the Tahs?
There is a lot of very good rugby players - and only a handful of professional contracts to be had - we have surplus talent in some positions, and you have to be lucky and in the right spot at the right time with the right player agent to get your chance. Whereas, getting on a plane and getting paid to play overseas is somewhat easier.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tahs have had a number of 6/8 not quite 4/5 over the past few years (Hanighan, Holloway, Sinclair, Douglas, Williams) . Just like the Reds had a heap of 6.5 a few years back (6.5 not quite 6 not quite 7 - Browning, Butler, Quirk, Schatz, Korczyk)

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
Tahs have had a number of 6/8 not quite 4/5 over the past few years (Hanighan, Holloway, Sinclair, Douglas, Williams) . Just like the Reds had a heap of 6.5 a few years back (6.5 not quite 6 not quite 7 - Browning, Butler, Quirk, Schatz, Korczyk)
Seems to be a fascination with Australia (bar MH) to play oversized #7s - MH himself was overlooked a few times in favour of bigger 7s.

England did the same for a while (Chris Robshaw famously wore a 6.5 shirt after one game).

Bar FM in the Reds, the other 7s mostly look over-sized / under-mobile - current Waratahs no exception.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd say Gamble is a genuine 7. He's solid but 7 is his spot. Tahs stuffed around and put him in other spots a couple times.

Reimer starting for the Brumbies who's a genuine 7 as well.

Anstee is in that hybrid category. Not a fan of it.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah the quote about movement in his fingers might indicate a spinal injury?
Or at least suspected. In First Aid, if there's anything around the neck/head area it's usually better safe than sorry.

But I'd say it's likely he'll be out of Saturday's game at this late stage.

Reactions: Tex

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
What's most concerning to me is they specified finger movement, but not lower limb movement. Could be nothing, could be something. Hoping for the best for him regardless.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1708577841095.png